Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:43 AM

146 posts, read 241,587 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville is a pretty weird place. If completely depends on what you want. Its going to be pretty boring, non-walkable, and close-minded if you are coming from a northern metro area or the bigger FL metro areas like Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, or Tampa. I even think some cities in West Florida have more going on than Jacksonville does. I'm personally leaving North Florida myself because if your younger, it doesn't have much long, even short term opportunity for you compared to Middle to South Florida. Florida in general does not have the amount of opportunity that the Northeast or West Coast has, but at least cities like Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami are growing rapidly while Jacksonville is left in the dust. People say it's trying, but its been trying or the last 20 years with mixed effects which I attribute to he large religious, conservative population here that doesn't want to accept change. But, if you want a slow, quieter lifestyle, Jacksonville is fine for that. If I was going to retire though, I would choose Orlando, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, or Miami Beach wayyyy above Jax because they actually have activities. The only thing Jacksonville has over those places is cheaper housing, but its cheaper because there is less to do and more driving involved.

Also, the African American population here is not going to be the same as it is in Atlanta for instance. Its going to be less educated, ignorant, close-minded, and a bit racial. The latino population here isn't very big yet either compared to South Florida. That goes for the European and Canadian population as well. The white population is going to be pretty split down the middle. Its pretty "southern" in general, but you have the close-minded, ignorant, less educated, not very motivated, etc. ones vs. the middle to upper class southern in some areas which are more religious, but nicer I find. Again, the trashier of this demographic is going to be in certain areas like the Westside, Northside, Nassau to the North, McClenny to the West, Orange Park, etc. while the middle to upper class in Southside, Town Center, Riverside, all the Beach cities, St. Johns County to the south, etc. And contrary to what people say on here, St. Augustine IS NOT PART OF JAX. Its at a minimum, a 30-40 minute drive depending on traffic to St. Augustine from Jacksonville and its probably going to be older there, wealthier there, and "slower" in terms of pace because of the retirees. The only major areas it has too are St. Augustine and Ponte Vedra, which are both pretty small. St. Augustine's traffic sucks and its pretty much a tourist trap/retiree place.

The best places to live in town by far are the beaches, Southside/Town Center, and Riverside/San Marco/Avondale area, which is basically downtown. Ponte Vedra is ok too if you want St. Johns County. Those areas are safe and you'll probably never encounter any crime in those areas. The beaches are going to be a younger, collegy crowd, while Southside/Town Center is going to be middle ground with more money and education, and Riverside is going to be hipsterish/artsy with a lot of lawyers, gays, and working class people. If you avoid Northside and the Westside, you'll probably never encounter any type of crime contrary to what people say. BUT, violent crime IS going up in those areas, so there probably is going to be a spillover effect in the next few years unless something is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 07:43 AM

64 posts, read 85,668 times
Thanks for that information, USMCPOG.

I'm in the process of divorcing and I have 3 kids. Not looking for a booming club/night life because that just isn't me--never has been. I'm more interested in community activities, art shows, museums, flea markets, things for the kids, etc. I'm kind of artsy fartsy that way, lol. I currently live in a small city, no where near the scale of the DC or even Baltimore metro areas (where I'm originally from) so I've gotten used to a slower pace, less traffic, and a population that is slightly more conservative and religious than that of major cities. There is crime everywhere, so I'm not up in arms about that. However, I don't want to be overly concerned about the lives of my children or my property.

As for the ethnic demographics, as an African American who is also Muslim, I want to be in an area that has a good mixture of people. White, black, Latino, Middle Eastern, etc. Just makes for a more cultural and tolerant living experience. When it comes to blacks, I prefer the more progressive types as opposed to what you've described. That concerns me.

I crossed Orlando off of my list because of all the weather (it seems to be really hot allllll the time) theme parks (don't want to live in Mickey Mouse town, sorry), traffic, and the high Latino population. While learning another language is good, I don't want to be in an area where NOT speaking fluent Spanish reduces my chances of enjoying where I live, landing a job, etc. To me, there's just not any true diversity. I've visited Orlando several times...maybe I'm being too hard on the area, but that's just my personal opinion.

No place is perfect; but I know there is a place perfect for me and my family.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:02 PM

146 posts, read 241,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedab View Post
Thanks for that information, USMCPOG.

I'm in the process of divorcing and I have 3 kids. Not looking for a booming club/night life because that just isn't me--never has been. I'm more interested in community activities, art shows, museums, flea markets, things for the kids, etc. I'm kind of artsy fartsy that way, lol. I currently live in a small city, no where near the scale of the DC or even Baltimore metro areas (where I'm originally from) so I've gotten used to a slower pace, less traffic, and a population that is slightly more conservative and religious than that of major cities. There is crime everywhere, so I'm not up in arms about that. However, I don't want to be overly concerned about the lives of my children or my property.

As for the ethnic demographics, as an African American who is also Muslim, I want to be in an area that has a good mixture of people. White, black, Latino, Middle Eastern, etc. Just makes for a more cultural and tolerant living experience. When it comes to blacks, I prefer the more progressive types as opposed to what you've described. That concerns me.

I crossed Orlando off of my list because of all the weather (it seems to be really hot allllll the time) theme parks (don't want to live in Mickey Mouse town, sorry), traffic, and the high Latino population. While learning another language is good, I don't want to be in an area where NOT speaking fluent Spanish reduces my chances of enjoying where I live, landing a job, etc. To me, there's just not any true diversity. I've visited Orlando several times...maybe I'm being too hard on the area, but that's just my personal opinion.

No place is perfect; but I know there is a place perfect for me and my family.
You may or may not like Jacksonville, IDK. To me, this place is pretty black and white and lacks the diversity, culture, entertainment, or progressive native of Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, probably Tampa, etc. Also, the only place in Florida where you really need Spanish to get by is Miami-Dade County. That's one of the greatest stereotypes around about Florida. But if you're set on Jacksonville, I would check out Jacksonville beach, Neptune Beach, or parts of Atlantic Beach. Neptune is a small beach town that is pretty nice and right next to Jax Beach, so there is entertainment there. Ponte Vedra to the south is a bit more pricey/upscale/quiet, but its nice too. The only other options I would suggest where you'll have some activities is around Town Center and maybe Riverside. There isn't really much to do in Jacksonville past shopping at the Town Center or numerous strip malls/malls, the beach, or the occasional events around town. Driving across town is the worst part here.

But like I said, with three kids, the cost of living is low and those areas I named off are pretty safe. The school system here sucks except for a few select schools too btw. Even Clay County's schools aren't that hot IMO.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:36 AM

24 posts, read 26,786 times
I moved from Georgia two months ago and I've been told bad stuff about JAX, but other than the usual crazy drivers, I haven't seen anything "bad" about Jacksonville. I think your friend is DELUSIONAL.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbytz View Post
I moved from Georgia two months ago and I've been told bad stuff about JAX, but other than the usual crazy drivers, I haven't seen anything "bad" about Jacksonville. I think your friend is DELUSIONAL.
Keeping in mind I moved from the area many years ago but still have family in jacksonville. With that said...

Jacksonville is just like Georgia but with a beach. We always called it Baja Georgia. I liked Georgia. I have kind wonderful family in Adel. But I think you are not looking for Georgia. I have fam at the Jax beach and they are very happy there. But they are an old family in the area and they don't stand out so to speak in their lifestyle.

And Jacksonville is Not tolerant. Sure if you stay between this area and not going over that area. And staying out of that school and only going to this school then you may not encounter a whole lot of small mindedness but thats a small area. And who wants to hide out in their little area? I hated that!

As far as wanting a common ethnic group I totally understand. Maybe having a huge group of hispanics is not for you. My daughtrer is half hispanic so for me its fine because she feels comfortable and she is my Babyyy Girl! But if it was an area that was almost all black we may be a little uncomfortable. So I get that.

I would look at a more educated town more south and possibly towards the water. Its worth it I promise. And more educated means more tolerant. Just because its further in florida doesn't mean its hoppin all the time and too fast

I LOVE St Augustine and I would go there in a minute if my kids would come along. But yes slow and more affluent.

Also in a place like Florida ... and I am sure I am not goingto be the only person thinking this... you can go into any area for a small amount of time and "feel" the tolerance level. Its a positive about it (sarcastically said obviously). Nothing kept under wraps back home. So take advantage and really cgheck the areas out. Not just the one your interested in but the outskirts of it. Trust me these people will be in your life also. ;-) Good luck with your search hope you all are happy :-)

Old 08-10-2014, 08:03 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Sigh. Just come down and check it out yourself.

It's not HELPFUL whatsoever for people to tell you they would chose to RETIRE in Miami, Ft Lauderdale etc.

It's not HELPFUL either to tell you all the black people are ignorant and racist when they're probably white, too.

Jacksonville has a TON of relocators so the very concept is ridiculous. A very good friend of mine in the Strand was AA relocated to work for upper level management at Social Security, two others were AA television broadcasters. The largest family there was from Africa and had visitors all the time and their kids were all over the building playing with other kids. What about the military people? Are they all uneducated racists over there? That's funny I had a client who was a Military black guy who was a DIVER at Mayport. Oh wait black people can't swim right? /sarc

I worked downtown for my former company AT&T and the ENTIRE office is black (as is common with the phone companies JUST LIKE IN BALTIMORE) including management all the way up to at least the district level that I know of. Around 85 occupational people making $1000 a week before commission and full benefits and 10 first level managers and a few 2nd levels in ONE office in the building. RIDICULOUS.

It is a VERY HARD JOB. You get fired easily. You cannot be late, absent irresponsible or ignorant. You must be able to make the numbers work to sell the public stuff gracefully and seamlessly yet close the sale. You have to have personality. You have to use multiple jacked up systems all at once that are not integrated. You also have to sell stuff like Direct TV along with landlines, cellphones and internet. And those girls TURN IT OUT and make great money. Many live in Arlington because their friends/BFs do but plenty live elsewhere but it has to be easily commutable because of the strict attendance policy.

Diversity? How about Jax was named an up and coming LGBT city by the Advocate and that little bar across from AT&T had the entire bar filled with black Lesbian and Transwomen doing poetry slams and stuff on Friday nights. They kick the straight white people out after dinner so they can have their event

Jax is 30% Black Only and 59% White Only in the last census. Michelle freaking Obama came here a couple times campaigning at the civic center (or whatever it's called) and so did her husband FFS. The MAYOR is black for Chrissakes. NO it's not minority majority like Philly but it's also not as urban and old a city as Philly. And it wasn't a destination for black people 100-200 years ago like Philly was. There are also plenty of biracial couples and kids and you even see biracial couples as young as high school age hanging out after school etc. IN PUBLIC! IMAGINE THAT!

I think your biggest REAL barrier is going to be price for a single rental with all those bedrooms in a good location meaning schools (something I don't know about).

Know what I just heard on the radio? My little county (Indian River) has the 4th most affordable state college in the COUNTRY.

And your kids can earn TWO YEARS Of college credits during HIGH SCHOOL for FREE here through a reciprocal program with the college.

THAT WOULD BE MY CRITERIA! We even have a little Islamic Center here (in a shopping center ) And another one just a couple miles down the road in Ft Pierce. Islamic Center of Muslim Friends

But admittedly the worship in Jax seems much better.

ICNEF | Islamic Center of NorthEast Florida

I suggest you go visit THERE when you come down to scope Jax out. You can probably get more realistic input from people that way.

And NO "more educated doesn't mean more tolerant". I've heard more occasional racism and DEFINITELY more homophobia from some of the most surprising sources including Millennial college grads than normal everyday people that you'd perhaps look down on.

One thing is for sure: You CANNOT move to anywhere in FL expecting it to be like other places. It is it's own animal.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-10-2014 at 08:29 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,280 times
Generally it does mean more tolerant. But of course there is kindnes and understanding in any area with the right people

Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Jax definitely is a "weird" City to a lot of people. Its HUGE landwise so there are a whole lot of pockets, but in general its very suburban. As far as education yes, the schools are poor. However this isn't from lack of teachers caring, its the parents of the students. Jax is overall a pretty low income City, and the parents in these families don't push their kids to do well at all. This frustrates the teachers because you cant MAKE a kid care about school when they go home to a household that doesn't value education. This also causes the crime rate to be through the roof because these kids graduate HS and have nothing better to do because jobs aren't exactly overflowing here. Weve seen shootings here almost daily lately, and a murder about every other day. If my company wasn't headquartered here Id move in a heartbeat, but my pension is too good to justify leaving.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:48 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Jax definitely is a "weird" City to a lot of people. Its HUGE landwise so there are a whole lot of pockets, but in general its very suburban. As far as education yes, the schools are poor. However this isn't from lack of teachers caring, its the parents of the students. Jax is overall a pretty low income City, and the parents in these families don't push their kids to do well at all. This frustrates the teachers because you cant MAKE a kid care about school when they go home to a household that doesn't value education. This also causes the crime rate to be through the roof because these kids graduate HS and have nothing better to do because jobs aren't exactly overflowing here. Weve seen shootings here almost daily lately, and a murder about every other day. If my company wasn't headquartered here Id move in a heartbeat, but my pension is too good to justify leaving.
My father retired from the school system just a few years ago and this is what he believes. Too many tenured non-caring teachers mixed with parents who don't care and this is what happens. Lots of teachers still care, but there is only so much they can do.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:58 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
My father retired from the school system just a few years ago and this is what he believes. Too many tenured non-caring teachers mixed with parents who don't care and this is what happens. Lots of teachers still care, but there is only so much they can do.
Yep. Regarding the tenured non caring teachers you could make the argument that they have merely given up on caring, that would correlate with the fact that it takes a long time to get tenured. Im sure during this time their love of teaching has probably been destroyed by the admins and parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville