Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:26 AM

18 posts, read 19,264 times

Advertisements

I see the NBA are in town tonight for a pre-season game.

Could Jax support another team?

MLB I could never see happening because of the metro area being too small. NHL I'm not sure because of the lack of support for the NHL in the south. NBA or MLS perhaps?

Could UNF also sufficiently support a D-1 football program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 11:27 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,367 times
Some would argue, they don't have one now....

Old 10-08-2014, 12:12 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,504,595 times
no

Old 10-08-2014, 12:15 PM

33 posts, read 34,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the gravy View Post

MLB I could never see happening because of the metro area being too small. NHL I'm not sure because of the lack of support for the NHL in the south. NBA or MLS perhaps?

Jacksonville will be lucky to not to lose the Jags. Not being a dick, just my sincere opinion. The Jags got their fans but other cities have been eager to snatch them away in the past.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:25 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
Winning fixes everything. Put out a good product nearly every year and you'll see fan support for the Jags increase exponentially. I don't think Jacksonville is ready for another pro franchise but I could see it happening with continued growth in population here. My guess is a pro soccer team would be a good fit but I could see baseball doing well too.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:44 PM

410 posts, read 361,439 times
Quote:

Jax will be extremely lucky not to lose the jags. It's not mostly an issue of winning either- even when the team was winning 9 or more games a year fan support was around 30th compared to other teams and the 'brand' of the team was essentially dead last.

There are many many other cities right now which would immediately enhance the brand and give the team more support.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:26 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "Fan Support" but being in a small market will always have Jacksonville behind most other NFL franchises in terms of attendance, product sales, etc. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying though.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:29 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:

P'shaw. People don't support the Jaguars, why would they support another pro team?

Old 10-08-2014, 03:03 PM

12 posts, read 18,789 times
Jacksonville is 100% minor league. Not a chance it will have another pro sports team ( soccer doesn't count ) any time even remotely soon.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:44 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times
Quote:

To answer your thread...H3LL NO!! Its not the population but the personality and culture of Jacksonville. You can look at this forum as a great example of the Jacksonville culture. Its boring and bland..and I dont say that as a diss or to be negative. Jacksonville has a lot of young people with some energy, but also has a lot of the older bland types.

Heck the Jacksonville Suns just won their 7th Championship, the night they won the ballpark has 5.5 thousand fans at THAT game, the Ballpark hold 11,000 and the game was on a Friday or Saturday night and all they could manage to bring in was 5500 people in a metro of 1.3 million people. Now Im sure some sports fans will argue "hey its AA so what relax" The point is you want an MLB team, you want NBA, but you dont have HARD CORE support for the teams you DO you have. A AA championship is the closest thing people in that region will get to the Playoff atmosphere other MLB metros experience. And the Experience involves people. The people of Jacksonville are NOT involved enough to have another MAJOR sports team. And people can say they support WINNERS, but again I point to the Suns who WIN. Im not even a major baseball fan either, but the bland lack of interest will probably happen with the new Armanda Soccer team. I get sick of tired of other metros taking about the Jags how bad they want Jacksonville to lose their NFL team. Even though Khan is doing his best to fill the stadium with gimmicks and cool ideas, The city deserves a winning hard playing team, for me to combat the negative press Jacksonville gets for being an NFL city. I would say the only fanbases that dont pile on the "JacksonvilleDontDeserveNFL" train is Buffalo, Greenbay, Nashville & maybe San Diego fan...everyone else piles on heavily and winning is really the only way to make them shut the fuqk up. I dont want Jacksonville to get anymore teams. In my honest opinion Jacksonville doesnt deserve any more teams and NBA and MLB need to STOP expanding to other cities and instead expanding the fanbases of 30 teams they have. If you are sports league and each of your teams has an average of 4 million fans each, DONT add new teams to your league try to raise your average fanbase size. Some places will just have to miss the bus, everyone cant have everything and everyone doesnt deserve everything. Thats my take on this matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville