U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:26 PM

3 posts, read 11,228 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Springfield Jacksonville, and I would like some information about the area. All of the info I read was from 2010 or earlier, I would like to know how is it now. If anyone has recent information I would appreciate it. We are middle age, we would like to restore an older home, and would also like to start a business. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 06:26 AM

6 posts, read 11,453 times
MySpringfield.org • Index page

I would check this out! Lots of great info from residents in the springfield area. Being a young couple we chose not to move there because of schools, but it's a beautiful community if you've ever been there. Also I have a coworker in her 20s that recently restored a home there and loves it!

Old 10-18-2014, 04:21 AM

Default I'm thinking of moving toSpringfield Jacksonville

Thank you SKh09, we are planing to visit in November. I've heard conflicting things about the area, but I've also seen pictures and the houses are beautiful.

Thank You

Old 10-18-2014, 01:13 PM

46 posts, read 50,359 times
Many homes in the area are being restored right now. That mixed with quite a few vacant homes is why you are getting mixed reviews. The appearance from one neighborhood to the next can be quite different. Investors are buying up many of the homes that don't need too much work and either flipping them or using them for passive investment. I see a lot of promise there, but there are still many homes that need attention.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:15 PM

376 posts, read 351,730 times
Glad you are looking into this great neighborhood. I have been in Jacksonville all my life. I have lived in Springfield for 4 years. I love it. Look into that MySpringfield.com page. Also search on Facebook Historic Springfield. You will find numerous pages of different groups.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:32 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the your input.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 5,749 times
@Albsure1, we just started a business and are in the process of restoring a home so we know exactly what you will be going through. If you need good contractors here locally I can recommend you a couple we have used. Feel free to send me a message and let me know what type of home you are looking for and I will keep an eye out for it so you have something to look at when you are visiting in November.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:06 PM

11 posts, read 51,666 times
Springfield is ghetto. The entire north side is mostly ghetto. Use this crime statistics map to see the proof instead of believing others. There have been 5 murders in Springfield since 1/1/14.

COJ.net - Crime Statistics Information Acceptance

This map is only violent crimes since 1/1/14. You can see the number in the top left of the pic, 1526 violent crimes. Great area if you want to pick up some crack. If you include all crimes you can't go back that far time wise, because the map will only display the last 5000 crimes and it doesn't take long to reach that number. And these are only the reported ones

Old 10-22-2014, 04:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 7,459,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbzz View Post
Springfield is ghetto. The entire north side is mostly ghetto. Use this crime statistics map to see the proof instead of believing others. There have been 5 murders in Springfield since 1/1/14.

COJ.net - Crime Statistics Information Acceptance

This map is only violent crimes since 1/1/14. You can see the number in the top left of the pic, 1526 violent crimes. Great area if you want to pick up some crack. If you include all crimes you can't go back that far time wise, because the map will only display the last 5000 crimes and it doesn't take long to reach that number. And these are only the reported ones

This is ridiculous.

There certainly is some drug and sketchy activity in the area, specifically around certain defined spots....but mostly not. Same can be said for many areas in Jax.

But point out the "ghetto" in these Springfield events over the last couple weeks (hint: these are kinds of things that do NOT happen in bad neighborhoods)

Farm to Table Dinner in the Community Garden

Kids Outdoor Movie Night

Neighborhood Clean Up

Tree Plantings in Park

5k Race

Kids Fall Festival

This kind of info is easy find, ask a Realtor familar with the urban core, or check out one of the Springfield-centric websites (www.sparcouncil.org or www.myspringfield.org).

Old 10-23-2014, 08:33 AM

232 posts, read 506,766 times
It's definitely a mixed bag. Yes there are lots of good events that go on, but then there's also stuff like this:
Man shot in sixth shooting in Jacksonville this week

The story sounds like a drug deal gone bad. Man in his 30s out on the corner at 3:30am, tan van rolls up and opens fire.

It's obviously easy to avoid putting yourself in those situations (i.e., don't be out at 3:30am looking for drugs), but for me personally, I wouldn't want to live close to that kind of stuff - and yes I get that it can happen anywhere, but there are clearly areas of town where it is more likely to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or