Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 PM

39 posts, read 58,357 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Riverside - Five Points - husband's commute is 12 minutes to just off JTB. Rent first, then buy. Can't advise on schools, but areas on West side I know well. Stay away from Orange Park, Clay County in general - commute is awful and Clay County schools are in flux with their religious infiltration. Avondale, Ortega, Riverside, San Marco - no crossing Buckmann to Philips Highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:54 AM

278 posts, read 664,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Overall Riverside hasn't been sketchy for about 20 years. Sure some small areas (Brooklyn & Forest Park)that are on the edges of Riverside have been and are still still somewhat sketchy. But overall not so much.
Agreed. I lived on Park Street starting in the mid-1990s and it was as safe as the area we moved from (St Nicholas / San Marco). We used to walk and bicycle up and down Edgewood, and down Park from Edgewood to the Five Pts area. Never any problems. Of course the area has definitely improved since then but I don't think it has been a dangerous or sketchy part of town, in general, for awhile.

Growing up, the Northside and parts of the Westside were always considered "rough areas." Parts of Springfield have improved. But I have friends with family in that area, one in particular who visits regularly and tells me "I wouldn't let my dog live over there." My dad's grandparents lived there starting in the 1920s in a big, beautiful home that is now a vacant lot. They were there for its serious decline. Areas of it are better - pockets of nice homes - but the majority of it leaves much to be desired.

There are still sketchy areas all over town, though. That happens in any city environment.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
Agreed. I lived on Park Street starting in the mid-1990s and it was as safe as the area we moved from (St Nicholas / San Marco). We used to walk and bicycle up and down Edgewood, and down Park from Edgewood to the Five Pts area. Never any problems. Of course the area has definitely improved since then but I don't think it has been a dangerous or sketchy part of town, in general, for awhile.

Park Street is perhaps the busiest, most traveled road in the neighborhood, so I wouldn't expect anything to happen there, even back in 1995. I walked many an afternoon on Park Street from Universe of Super Heroes near Pak & King, back to my famiy's home near 5 Points in the early 90's, nothing happened to me either. Edgewood is one the nicest streets in Avondale. Not an area where'd you see anything of note, even in 1995.

Growing up, the Northside and parts of the Westside were always considered "rough areas." Parts of Springfield have improved. But I have friends with family in that area, one in particular who visits regularly and tells me "I wouldn't let my dog live over there." My dad's grandparents lived there starting in the 1920s in a big, beautiful home that is now a vacant lot. They were there for its serious decline. Areas of it are better - pockets of nice homes - but the majority of it leaves much to be desired.

You better warn these people (and their kids) who are all moving there soon - gasp! : )

mySpringfield.org • View topic - Moving to Silver on Friday

mySpringfield.org • View topic - Looking at Springfield

mySpringfield.org • View topic - Hi! Hubby & I want to buy in Springfield

And you'll definitely want to warn the many hundreds of people coming to the upcoming Spring Home & Garden Tour: http://www.myspringfield.org/forum/v...p=14892#p14892

Watch your purses, ladies & gents, it's not even fit for a dog. : )

(Btw, you do know that Riverside and the Springfield historic district have virtually the same crime rate these days, right?)

From Jan 1, 2012 to May10th, 2012

-----------------------Riverside--------Springfield historic district
Larceny ---------------111 ---------------------59
Burglary (home) --------54 ----------------------24
Burglary (car) ----------53 ----------------------18
Vandalism --------------46----------------------27
Simple Assault ---------40 ----------------------52
Aggrvated Ass. --------17 ----------------------16

These difference are just due to the differences in neighborhoods. Ie, Riverside has many more cars, therefore, there's many more car burglaries. Riverside also has far more apartments, which more susceptible to residential burglaries than single family homes. Springfield has more transients/rooming houses, thus you see more simple assaults between people in this particular demographic in SPR. Riverside is also about 1/3rd larger in area than the Springfield historic district, so naturally you'll see larger numbers of crimes in general. So, adjust for the different sizes of the neighborhoods, and you can see that the crime stats are very similar. It's been this way for a couple years now. Neither neighborhood has alrming crime stats in the least, but common sense and caution is required (as in 99% of Jax).

There are still sketchy areas all over town, though. That happens in any city environment.

It does. And in Jacksonville, being relatively young, it hasn't ever experienced the complete gentrification of an in-town neighborhood, unlike much older cities in the Northeast, where it's standard. Or even out West. The SE doesn't have many examples of it yet. So people are surprised and shocked that Riverside actually came back to be a popular neighborhood again. Smart money invested there, and continues to do so as the neighborhood has certainly not reached it's peak potential. And people are actually surprised that the Springfield historic district is following those foot steps, where there's also smart money. This kind of thing is expected in larger, more established cities. In Jax? Not so much.

Here's the lesson for the day. Don't talk about things you aren't familiar with, as it can come back to bite you. CRUNCH.

Last edited by fsu813; 05-11-2012 at 02:44 PM..

Old 05-11-2012, 03:23 PM

78 posts, read 179,740 times
New Orleans' Warehouse District and the Marigny have fully gentrified.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
I've had several people tell me that Riverside & Avondale historic district feel like historic districts in Atlanta, while the Springfield historic dsitrict feels like historic districts in New Orleans.

This chick agrees:

What brought you to the Springfield Historic District?

Angie: I work downtown, so I had randomly gotten lost in the area a few times just by driving around. And I loved what I found. I lived in New Orleans for a while and enjoyed the originality and character of the houses, and the neighborhood reminded me of that. You don’t see very much of that in Jacksonville

From Springfield Residents Angie & Brent, and Judy & John | mySpringfield

Wait, they have a dog! Don't they know their neighborhood isn't fit for a dog? (I guess the dog park will need to be closed now....jeez....)

Old 05-11-2012, 03:52 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,506,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
This chick agrees:
"Chick"? How non-Gentrified and 70's Springfield of you. I'm glad she wasn't a black woman I'd really hate to see how you labled her then!
And it's a good thing the dogs privates aren't visible or you might have called her a Bi**h.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,506,801 times
Quote:
I've had several people tell me the Springfield historic dsitrict feels like historic districts in New Orleans.
Just before or just after Katrina?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:57 AM

705 posts, read 1,575,048 times
Quote:

Park Street is perhaps the busiest, most traveled road in the neighborhood, so I wouldn't expect anything to happen there, even back in 1995. I walked many an afternoon on Park Street from Universe of Super Heroes near Pak & King, back to my famiy's home near 5 Points in the early 90's, nothing happened to me either. Edgewood is one the nicest streets in Avondale. Not an area where'd you see anything of note, even in 1995.

You better warn these people (and their kids) who are all moving there soon - gasp! : )

mySpringfield.org • View topic - Moving to Silver on Friday

mySpringfield.org • View topic - Looking at Springfield

mySpringfield.org • View topic - Hi! Hubby & I want to buy in Springfield

And you'll definitely want to warn the many hundreds of people coming to the upcoming Spring Home & Garden Tour: http://www.myspringfield.org/forum/v...p=14892#p14892

Watch your purses, ladies & gents, it's not even fit for a dog. : )

(Btw, you do know that Riverside and the Springfield historic district have virtually the same crime rate these days, right?)

From Jan 1, 2012 to May10th, 2012

-----------------------Riverside--------Springfield historic district
Larceny ---------------111 ---------------------59
Burglary (home) --------54 ----------------------24
Burglary (car) ----------53 ----------------------18
Vandalism --------------46----------------------27
Simple Assault ---------40 ----------------------52
Aggrvated Ass. --------17 ----------------------16

These difference are just due to the differences in neighborhoods. Ie, Riverside has many more cars, therefore, there's many more car burglaries. Riverside also has far more apartments, which more susceptible to residential burglaries than single family homes. Springfield has more transients/rooming houses, thus you see more simple assaults between people in this particular demographic in SPR. Riverside is also about 1/3rd larger in area than the Springfield historic district, so naturally you'll see larger numbers of crimes in general. So, adjust for the different sizes of the neighborhoods, and you can see that the crime stats are very similar. It's been this way for a couple years now. Neither neighborhood has alrming crime stats in the least, but common sense and caution is required (as in 99% of Jax).

It does. And in Jacksonville, being relatively young, it hasn't ever experienced the complete gentrification of an in-town neighborhood, unlike much older cities in the Northeast, where it's standard. Or even out West. The SE doesn't have many examples of it yet. So people are surprised and shocked that Riverside actually came back to be a popular neighborhood again. Smart money invested there, and continues to do so as the neighborhood has certainly not reached it's peak potential. And people are actually surprised that the Springfield historic district is following those foot steps, where there's also smart money. This kind of thing is expected in larger, more established cities. In Jax? Not so much.

Here's the lesson for the day. Don't talk about things you aren't familiar with, as it can come back to bite you. CRUNCH.
If you're truly trying to educate folks, why post pictures of only the nice houses and businesses In the interest of giving a more complete picture of Springfield, along with the "nice" pictures, why don't you post some "bad" pictures of some of the lesser maintained properties? I'd do it, but thankfully, I don't get over that way very often.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:02 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
Just do google street view

Old 05-13-2012, 01:14 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Just do google street view
Wow. I looked up and down a couple streets on the street view and honestly, it didn't look too bad. I've got to say, I'm honestly impressed. I only saw a few properties that looked abandoned and that's to be expected these days in any neighborhood. Way to go Historic Springfield! Looks like things are looking up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville