Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:27 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityn0w View Post
Thank you both so much, I think you both mean well and I doubt anyone is getting antagonized. I really appreciate the additional comment about tattooed, bearded and hipster crowds. It sounds like Murray Hill and Riverside are not for me. I will be working in one of the banks in the 32258 zipcode so even though it sounds like San Marco is more my kinds of neighborhood, I will most likely live somewhere in Southside just to save on the commute time to work. I'm already inquiring about apartments at Bentley Green Apartments. I just wished apartments in JAX can go month-to-month after the initial lease ends instead of signing another long lease, oh well.

As always any additional insight would be greatly appreciated! Peace guys!
If you cannot get a month to month there IS A state STATUE that allows a tenant to LEGALLY do an early termination of their lease by choosing one of three different options. I did that when I lived at The Strand and it went without a hitch.

I chose the option of continuing to pay until they found a tenant because I knew they'd have NO problem finding a tenant in the high demand model of apartment I was in especially since I put down laminate flooring in it. I don't think they even had to advertise it. But you MUST READ THE LANDLORD TENANT statute to understand and execute those options correctly.

Don't make assumptions about a place until you COME DOWN AND SEE IT. Even after your first year, what you think you want or think you SAW is different.

San Marco is essentially 1.5 streets or so without even a deli or grocery. Riverside, OTOH, you hypothetically could live without even a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 04:14 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
If you cannot get a month to month there IS A state STATUE that allows a tenant to LEGALLY do an early termination of their lease by choosing one of three different options. I did that when I lived at The Strand and it went without a hitch.

I chose the option of continuing to pay until they found a tenant because I knew they'd have NO problem finding a tenant in the high demand model of apartment I was in especially since I put down laminate flooring in it. I don't think they even had to advertise it. But you MUST READ THE LANDLORD TENANT statute to understand and execute those options correctly.

Can you be more specific on the 3 options? We may need to get out of our lease early so need to understand the legalities. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2014, 04:43 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
Try this link: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Old 11-24-2014, 09:01 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Can you be more specific on the 3 options? We may need to get out of our lease early so need to understand the legalities. Thanks!
I could be mistaken but you may have had to make the decision at the time of lease. I know one of the leases I use (with a particular property manager) lays out the options and requires the tenant pick what will happen in case of early termination. So it's signed and documented on the lease. Perhaps if your lease does not state explicitly then it's open to interpretation.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
The option for paying a penalty or not paying a penalty (up to 2 months rent) can be offered to the tenant, but it has to be done at lease signing to be enforceable. That's option 4 in the link I posted above. (Chap 83.595)

Old 11-25-2014, 06:35 PM

19 posts, read 26,157 times
Thanks EricBoyd for the leasing cancellation info. I'm actually considering staying at Sun Suites or Extended Stay America instead of renting an apartment in Southside right from the start. The monthly cost isn't too bad until I feel more comfortable about the neighborhoods in the 32258 area.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:59 AM

410 posts, read 361,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityn0w View Post
Hi Folks, I accepted an offer to work in downtown JAX and will be moving from Orange County, CA. I'm targeting the Southside-San Marco area. I like the fact that it looks like San Marco is pedestrian friendly. I am however curious about the vibe of these neighborhoods. I am looking for a friendly, welcoming, laid-back/chill, non-hipster community. An area with a strong sense of community would be great too. I would appreciate some feedback from this forum.

Cheers and thanks for the help!
San Marco is really only pedestrian friendly in the sense that people walk around the square after driving to go pet to the square. If that's your idea of pedestrian friendly, I guess it is? My street, which is what most people would considere the heart if San Marco, doesn't even have a sidewalk. And when I'm in town I don't see a lot of oedestrians walking by....

I don't think San Marco or riverside is very hipster. There may be a small collection if hipster wannabes in riverside scattered by, but if you asked real hipsters(and god knows I'm no fan of hipsters anyways)n say Nashville they would say these riverside types are more just white trash. (And for the record I like white trash a lot more than hipsters anyway hehe)

If the commute isn't too bad, i think you should consider pvb. If I had to do it again I would much rather buy there than a good street in San Marco. It has a much more upscale vibe, more to do and see, etc....in San Marco you are constantly surrounded by sketchiness and there just isn't a lot to do as you are so far away from the beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville