Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,028 times

Advertisements

So we are planning to move into the St Augustine area in a couple of monthes. I have a 4th grader, 6th grader, and 10th grader. The youngest to are sons and the oldest is a daughter. We have the 2 younger kids schools squared away but for the 10th grader Im not sure where to buy a house. Is St Augustine High or Pedro High a better highschool? How is the area in general? We moved to Clermont (close or ORlando) 2.5 years ago and my daughter had a terrible experience making friends and such. Are most ppeople friendly around here? Just want some opinons about highschools and such. How is the crime rate? What is there to do? How's the weather (well I kind of got an idea living in Clermont for the last 3 years)? Just any information will be helpful. Thanks!

Happy Holidays to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 12:13 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,853,744 times
That's too bad about Clermont. I think being so new for the most part it doesnt have the old families established like Winter Park or Hunters Creek. Maybe St. Augustine can hold what you are seeking. Good Luck in this New Year.
Ken

Old 01-03-2008, 06:24 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,341,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missylee View Post
So we are planning to move into the St Augustine area in a couple of monthes. I have a 4th grader, 6th grader, and 10th grader. The youngest to are sons and the oldest is a daughter. We have the 2 younger kids schools squared away but for the 10th grader Im not sure where to buy a house. Is St Augustine High or Pedro High a better highschool? How is the area in general? We moved to Clermont (close or ORlando) 2.5 years ago and my daughter had a terrible experience making friends and such. Are most ppeople friendly around here? Just want some opinons about highschools and such. How is the crime rate? What is there to do? How's the weather (well I kind of got an idea living in Clermont for the last 3 years)? Just any information will be helpful. Thanks!

Happy Holidays to everyone!
I live in Jacksonville (St. John's County though). If you are choosing St. Aug, I am under the understanding that Nease is the best high school in St. Aug. (ratings) I believe the school is diversifying more than in years past (if that is important to you). I'm not that familiar with either of the schools you mentioned. I know that Bartram Trail and Nease are both top ranked public high schools. Have you chosen your home and area in St. Aug? or are you still checking the whole area out?

Best of luck, and Happy New Year.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:31 AM

278 posts, read 910,123 times
Before I ended up moving to Clay County, I looked around quite a bit in St. Augustine since I got a job there. I too have a son in 10th grade...so I understand the high school concerns! St. Aug High looks like a nice school, but most of the kids zoned to attend there come from what looks like to be the rougher nieghborhoods. My oldest son teaches at a college there and really spoke higher about the other high schools available. However, living in those areas is much more expensive. Here is a link that I found on the schools in St. Johns county.
St. Johns County School District - Schools Directory

The people in St. Augustine seem to be very friendly and helpful. I know several people at work who grew up there. I would be more than happy to get you additional information tomorrow and get back with you. Feel free to PM me with any other information you may need and I'll help you in any way that I can.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 14,299 times
I think Nease is supposed to be a real good school. As for crime, i'd suggest living on Anastasia island (st aug beach) or in one of the newer neighborhoods around st. augustine.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,505 times
Crime is low, there is nothing noteworthy to do (other than the beach) and the schools are great by Florida standards but barely mediocre by the standards of places that have genuinely "good schools".

As far as the people being friendly, it's like anywhere else.
I'm from St. Augustine and most people would say I'm quite unfriendly to strangers, however, I'm not indicative of everyone here.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,472 times
I live in st. aug and I think it is a very quaint & friendly place to live. I have 1 son who is 11 and attends Osceola Elem (A school), and a 16 yo who attends St. Aug HS. They both really enjoy their schools and have never had any issues with fights, drugs or so on. I live at Whispering Woods Apts and I have really enjoyed this community. A 3bd is 826 a month, and they have tons of amenities. Luckily St. Aug is still considered a small town compared to other metropolitan areas such as Jacksonville. So the crime is very low. The county has really taken an aggressive approach to even clean up the bad part of town (which is considered King St and Lincolnville). Good luck to you and Happy new year!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 54,574 times
I recently moved back to St. Augustine after 28 years. (I am not staying again either) As far as high schools go. I would say they are about the same. There is not a whole lot to do here, except maybe the beach, hunt, or fish, unless you never been into the historical district. That gets old (no pun intended). They have a private college that runs the downtown area and a small community college in the county. There is Jacksonville for a little bit more shopping which is at least 30-45 minutes depending where you live. They have a NFL team there if you are into that. That is about all. People are all pretty much tranplants from somewhere else so the once small town has grown into leaps and bounds. The sad thing is there is not many real sustainable jobs to be had for most people here. The people here for the most part are friendly, but there are a lot of transient people here. Good luck.

Last edited by sue32033; 01-07-2008 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: incorrect spelling

Old 01-07-2008, 10:36 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,962,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue32033 View Post
I recently moved back to St. Augustine after 28 years. (I am not staying again either) As far as high schools go. I would say they are about the same. There is not a whole lot to do here, except maybe the beach, hunt, or fish, unless you never been into the historical district. That gets old (no pun intended). They have a private college that runs the downtown area and a small community college in the county. There is Jacksonville for a little bit more shopping which is at least 30-45 minutes depending where you live. They have a NFL team there if you are into that. That is about all. People are all pretty much tranplants from somewhere else so the once small town has grown into leaps and bounds. The sad thing is there is not many real sustainable jobs to be had for most people here. The people here for the most part are friendly, but there are a lot of transient people here. Good luck.
it's too bad that you're so sour on the area, yes the touristy spots get old quick and if you want to be close to the many jobs, and shopping you'd be better off living closer to JAX. the transients are what make the place interesting, the locals are good people too, they are far and few between.
for things to do, that is up to you. I enjoy the beach and nature areas, there are shows, movies, going out to restaurants and a social network that keeps me busy.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscharnke View Post
I think Nease is supposed to be a real good school. As for crime, i'd suggest living on Anastasia island (st aug beach) or in one of the newer neighborhoods around st. augustine.
My family lives in a private home in a development on the Beach; while it's lovely for retirees, I wouldn't want to raise my children there. Very touristy, hotels, bars, holiday condos, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville