Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,423 times

Advertisements

I'm just starting to look for a house in the JAX area and I was wondering why so few homes have swimming pools? I think I would like to have my own pool but I was wondering if there is a reason that most people don't have them? Also, if I do get a house with a pool, are screened in pools a must in FL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:10 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Im not sure why. Just have your realtor include pools in their search for you. There are still quite a bit here.

Our house came with a nice inground one. A screen is nice, but its not a necessity unless your pool is around a bunch of leafy trees. Ours is & its a REAL pain keeping all the leaves out this time of year. A cover would do the trick, but guess I'm a tight wad.

Honestly, if I had to have only one add-on for our pool, it would DEF be a heater. Because even this time of year, there have been some really nice days where a swim would be great, but the water doesnt warm up enough to get in. Were gonna put in a solar heater soon.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 PM

65 posts, read 256,792 times
I'd say land space, cost, maintenance, and insurance issues. But if you are going to have one, I would say have it shaded and/or screened, and heated as KerryB suggests. Shaded/screened because the pavement gets ridiculously hot, especially during the summer, and it helps keep out bugs, leaves, and crocodiles...

Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toops View Post
I'd say land space, cost, maintenance, and insurance issues. But if you are going to have one, I would say have it shaded and/or screened, and heated as KerryB suggests. Shaded/screened because the pavement gets ridiculously hot, especially during the summer, and it helps keep out bugs, leaves, and crocodiles...
for the sake of accuracy, we do not have crocs, we have alligators

Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 AM

75 posts, read 204,024 times
Default So few pool homes?

I'm sure there are plenty of homes with pools for sale. The issue would be the putting the right home in the right location for you with a pool that was in good shape. Also you wouldn't want a home in a low location so when the rains come you don't have a pool that floats out of the ground if you have some reason to empty it. I know alot of people that have above ground pools and are very happy with them. When it rains it pours! I have a inground pool that is getting old. I'm glad to be on high ground because last year I did some major work on it and left it empty for awhile.Everyone I knew spoke about it coming out of the ground but I knew I was OK. When I looked for a house here it was the raini=y season so I found a home that was :High and Dry: I don't have a screened in pool but I have a porch. The screened pools are nice because it can be like haveing a big porch attached to the house.And they do keep the bugs out. A friend of mine bought a nice home off of ft. caroline last year with a inground pool and a big porch.Nice small yard w/fruit trees,200,000/Good luck,Happy hunting!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:11 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
There are many homes for sales with pools in Jacksonville. As another poster said, just ask your agent to include pools in your search. Personally, I don't care for screens on pools, to me it makes it just too hot in the summer, since it also blocks a lot of the breeze that helps cool you off, but as another poster said, it certainly helps keep out the debris - probably the biggest benefit of all to having it screened. Also know that pools with screens do take a little longer in the spring/early summer to get to the comfortable swimming range. Pools with screens typically can fetch a few thousand dollars more when selling.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
There are many homes for sales with pools in Jacksonville. As another poster said, just ask your agent to include pools in your search. Personally, I don't care for screens on pools, to me it makes it just too hot in the summer, since it also blocks a lot of the breeze that helps cool you off, but as another poster said, it certainly helps keep out the debris - probably the biggest benefit of all to having it screened. Also know that pools with screens do take a little longer in the spring/early summer to get to the comfortable swimming range. Pools with screens typically can fetch a few thousand dollars more when selling.
I've heard that in some developments homeowners are required by their HOAs to either build screens around their pools or have them fenced in. Not sure about the rationale but it may have something to do with unsupervised neighborhood kids who can't swim straying onto your property on hot nights.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:19 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I've heard that in some developments homeowners are required by their HOAs to either build screens around their pools or have them fenced in. Not sure about the rationale but it may have something to do with unsupervised neighborhood kids who can't swim straying onto your property on hot nights.
a fence or enclosure is usually an insurance requirement, yes it is to protect kids

Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 PM

65 posts, read 256,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
for the sake of accuracy, we do not have crocs, we have alligators
Good catch, hahah!

I was really only semi-kidding about that, though...I hear it's not all uncommon for people to find alligators in their pools, bears, bobcats, etc. in their trash cans and backyards...

Mostly down south, though, however, in Niceville/FWB/Eglin AFB there have been some problems with wild animals "going domestic", particuarly with bears and the like digging through trash cans and hanging out near residential or business property. ...maybe they are trying to tell us something? ("get off my lawn, you idiot?")

Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 PM

81 posts, read 324,538 times
The Florida Building Code requires a fence of certain specifications. I personally wouldn't have a pool if you paid me, because I'm too lazy to maintain one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville