Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:58 PM

164 posts, read 227,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dch123 View Post
I agree with Ruger20... the only thing I miss is friends & family. We absolutely love it here.

BTW, my neighbors are well educated. And if they're not, it's certainly not obvious. I guess it depends on the neighborhood you live in.
Mine as well. I think it differs from neighborhood to neighborhood here even more than other areas of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 02:43 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
I miss proper BBQ, but that is about the list.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:58 AM

593 posts, read 667,338 times
1- As weird as this sounds, coming from the north where we really don't have many dangerous snakes, down here I am not comfortable just walking around on the grass in say a park, or across a lawn to get to my car. I feel like I have to scan each step I take much more carefully.

2- The summer is not so bad as it is long. The heat and humidity on a daily basis is no big deal, but once it get towards mid August I feel myself getting worn out of it. Days turn into months, and summer is long.

3- Everyone drives like absolute morons. No one knows where they are going and people cannot properly merge ever.

4- I am not racist or someone to really consciously look down on people, but Florida is very economically mixed in that section 8 is spread everywhere. Call it what you want but I pay money to not live by it, and in Florida its hard to get away from. Down here you will have a government HUD complex right next to a beautiful subdivision or upscale apartment complex.

5- This doesn't affect me now as I have no kids, but overall Florida school are not very good as compared to NY public schools. There are some good districts, you just have to be more "researchful" in finding them.

6- Sprawl, its simply out of control.

7- Poor public transportation, so you are very reliant on having a car to go anywhere and everywhere mostly.

As a whole though, I really like the lifestyle here. When I left the north, I left that way of life behind. I chose to move to Florida, Florida did not chose to move to me so I am the one who is responsible to adapt. A lot of people ***** that its not like the north, but guess what, your not in the north so embrace the change rather than complain.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:26 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
When I left the north, I left that way of life behind. I chose to move to Florida, Florida did not chose to move to me so I am the one who is responsible to adapt.
Well said!

Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 AM

44 posts, read 51,566 times
Don't hesitate moving down here. I grew up in NYC, lived in upstate NY and recently moved to Palm Coast Florida. The only things I miss from NYC are the variety of restaurants and Broadway. However, we have plenty of nice restaurants down here and some thriving theaters here with a variety of national and international traveling shows including Broadway shows, musical groups, ballet, off Broadway shows,etc. Many of my friends here in Palm Coast are retired NYC people and non have issues with medical insurance. If you like no traffic, affordable housing, low taxes, lots of beautiful parks, safe streets, minutes to uncrowded beaches, 125 miles of interconnected walking/biking paths, convenient shopping and being close to just about everything you should ever need, then Palm Coast could be your little piece of paradise. We have a saying here..."come for a day, stay for a lifetime." Don't walk...run. Once you live here you'll never want to go back to NYC. As a Realtor here in beautiful Palm Coast, I'd be happy to answer any of your questions and assist you in any way I can.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:15 AM

414 posts, read 400,102 times
I don't live in the Jville area, but I guess this still applies.

I was expecting good Florida fruit, but I think it is exported to the state I came from!
Mainly miss the cultural life - museums, etc., nice events at the civic center. Most of what is available is through nearby Universities and at some point you want to be done with the campus. Been there all my life.
Miss good church. Southern church is just - different.
Have learned to appreciate the lizards, etc. - hard at first. - and be watchful of snakes.
Love bugs are still an issue, so get your car protected before you come. Protect the seal on your paint job. I waited too late.
Property taxes are very high, schools are mediocre.
Unless you live by a hub, airfare is outrageous.
Beaches can be further than anticipated, so you may go less than planned.

Overall- a really great place to live if you get in the right part of the state, but not staying. I came for a purpose and that mission is completed.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:34 PM

72 posts, read 144,227 times
A lot of people mention snakes. Are they really everywhere you go that you have to really watch every step? When we moved here to TN, from Chicago, everyone had us freaked out about all the snakes and poisonous spiders. I have yet to see any of the spiders that were mentioned and I have only seen one snake. I don't mind if they are around, but I want to be able to send my kids out play, walk my dog, etc. without feeling like I have to be on guard. I know in FL there are more creatures to deal with, I just don't want it to affect our daily living.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:41 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofsnowychi View Post
A lot of people mention snakes. Are they really everywhere you go that you have to really watch every step? When we moved here to TN, from Chicago, everyone had us freaked out about all the snakes and poisonous spiders. I have yet to see any of the spiders that were mentioned and I have only seen one snake. I don't mind if they are around, but I want to be able to send my kids out play, walk my dog, etc. without feeling like I have to be on guard. I know in FL there are more creatures to deal with, I just don't want it to affect our daily living.
It's a bit exaggerated, but they are around. They hate people so they aren't underfoot everywhere you go or anything. If you are in the woods, watch it, in your backyard, probably not as much. If you have large piles of debris or wood, maybe. We run into them every now and again in the yard because their habitat is being destroyed with all the new homes and they have nowhere to go.

And really, as long as you aren't poking them with a stick, they quickly slither away, usually long before you realize they are even there.

I wouldn't leave your garage door open at night, or ever really, especially in the summer.

Ants and insects are a much bigger deal when it applies to daily life or nuisances.

Snakes are a lot scarier so you hear them mentioned a lot more.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:30 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I've seen exactly one live snake in a year of living here and it was a harmless garter snake slithering away into the bushes. And I do spend quite a bit of time outdoors.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:04 PM

39 posts, read 46,131 times
I live in Wisconsin and have yet to find one good restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville