Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 07:31 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times

Advertisements

Have you ever actually been to Saint Johns Co? Many, if not most, of the newer communities here have housing that would preclude most of these 'people of Wal-Mart' that you describe from even sniffing a house here. You can say "cookie cutter" all you want but a $350K house isn't going to bring in the criminal meth-head types who I think you might be referring to. Sure there are bad pockets but aren't there bad pockets in every county in Florida??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 09:09 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,840,930 times
It's interesting to note that St Augustine (the city, not the poster) has grown from a population of 1,708 in 1830 to only 12, 975 in 2010. I wonder why the low growth if it's such a desirable area, schools, diversity, etc.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
When you don't have zoning, but at the same time population is exploding, crap happens. Clearcutting, endless stripmalls and people of walmart roving around everywhere. thank goodness Amelia Island hasn't been ruined yet. That's a lovely spot! Beach and town.
They're trying hard to ruin it, Savannah. Really hard.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:15 PM

172 posts, read 239,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Sounds right to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Perfectly said, lol.
Does this come as any surprise to anyone?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
It's interesting to note that St Augustine (the city, not the poster) has grown from a population of 1,708 in 1830 to only 12, 975 in 2010. I wonder why the low growth if it's such a desirable area, schools, diversity, etc.
Again, "shallow internet knowledge" rears its ugly head. "St Augustine" is a relatively small area, geographically speaking, but its used as a shorthand for what is basically the majority of Central St Johns County.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
When you don't have zoning, but at the same time population is exploding, crap happens. Clearcutting, endless stripmalls and people of walmart roving around everywhere. thank goodness Amelia Island hasn't been ruined yet. That's a lovely spot! Beach and town.
St Johns County took a major hit in the late 90's and early 00's during development mania as far as building all the 'Owls Ridge Tortoise Landing Eagles Nest on Herons Cove Way' crapholes (in terms of being soulless, crassly banal and full of annoyingly herd-like people who are horrible and will live their sad, bland lives already forgotten. Not necessarily impoverished, though.).

Most of the communities were at least middle income, but some weird things happened during the Reckoning of 2008-2010.

A lot of those houses that are now back up to 300K were down way, way below replacement cost for a couple years. Granted, there was no lending going on but people of means who were liquid were snapping them up left and right and the owner-occupancy rate in some of those places is lower than you might think.

If you want to see Strip Mall Hell, Port St Lucie is as bad as I've ever seen it anywhere.
That place is repugnant.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,657,175 times
St Johns County (especially north St Johns) is the best area in Jacksonville metro. StAugustine (the poster) is totally off-base as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:37 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
St Johns County took a major hit in the late 90's and early 00's during development mania as far as building all the 'Owls Ridge Tortoise Landing Eagles Nest on Herons Cove Way' crapholes (in terms of being soulless, crassly banal and full of annoyingly herd-like people who are horrible and will live their sad, bland lives already forgotten. Not necessarily impoverished, though.).
Ah, I think I understand. You have to live in an older house with "character" that was built pre-1950s to be considered intelligent, thoughtful and to be happy.

The irony of this all is that if you do, indeed, fall into the above category, you seem to be quite miserable and angry. In fact, looking through most of your posts, about 90% of them are nothing but argumentative attacks onto just about everyone here and elsewhere.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:14 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
And as a FL native like me, its kinda strange. Most natives are laid back, cool people. And awesome like me. But I guess not all lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville