Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:02 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times

Advertisements

I'm really curious and will try and keep this as positive as I can considering the previous tenor of this thread.....you say things like the trade-off being horrible, the values/morals/etc. are going downhill.....would you be able to cite a single example of this that might better illustrate the negativity you are portraying now in SJC for everyone here? Is it just that you prefer to see farmland and open space vs. new communities or was there maybe something that happened to you personally from a transplant that you could share that might help us better understand your point? Added traffic, the types of stores popping up, etc? Again, staying positive as possible.

In my community in SJC they are tearing down thousands of trees to continue to build and I must admit it's always a little gut-wrenching to witness the degradation of what I perceive as beautiful marshlands. I came to FL from a beautiful mountain community in the Rockies with wide open vistas in every direction and I grew up in the most ag-friendly state in the US, so I can certainly appreciate such things like farmland, open space, etc. But, admittedly, I've always been on the other end of this transplant debate so I'm trying to understand the specifics behind it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 03:12 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
I'd be interested to read that too

Old 03-01-2015, 04:46 PM

172 posts, read 239,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'm really curious and will try and keep this as positive as I can considering the previous tenor of this thread.....you say things like the trade-off being horrible, the values/morals/etc. are going downhill.....would you be able to cite a single example of this that might better illustrate the negativity you are portraying now in SJC for everyone here? Is it just that you prefer to see farmland and open space vs. new communities or was there maybe something that happened to you personally from a transplant that you could share that might help us better understand your point? Added traffic, the types of stores popping up, etc? Again, staying positive as possible.

In my community in SJC they are tearing down thousands of trees to continue to build and I must admit it's always a little gut-wrenching to witness the degradation of what I perceive as beautiful marshlands. I came to FL from a beautiful mountain community in the Rockies with wide open vistas in every direction and I grew up in the most ag-friendly state in the US, so I can certainly appreciate such things like farmland, open space, etc. But, admittedly, I've always been on the other end of this transplant debate so I'm trying to understand the specifics behind it all.
Sure. Turning a small town into a larger town is awful. You lose a huge segment of your quality of life when the population triples.

"WAIT, TRIPLES? NO WAY. I'D BETTER RUN OFF TO WIKIPEDIA TO SEE IF THAT'S TRUE!"... you say.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Johns_County,_Florida

If you seriously need explained- in detail- how a small community with lots of farms being viciously converted into a much larger community full of crappy spec homes built for squawking alien retards,how that is 'bad', if you don't instantly recognize that as being awful to people who are from here, then what could I possibly say that would make you understand?

(PS- Pretty unlikely they are destroying "marshlands" to build anything. Wetlands regulations has seriously put the kibosh on that, although there are cases of larger builders in bet with mitigation bankers who can fill in some stuff that nobody else could afford to do)

Old 03-01-2015, 05:23 PM

Thanks for trying to remain civil and present an intelligent point, but it appears as though you're unable to. Best of luck with the misery you're suffering through.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:09 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
So.. what you mean, is population growth is an issue. If so, I agree. We need to start considering whether we can sustain doubling our population every few decades and even if so, do we want to. I think not. So, how can we slow the population explosion?

Old 03-04-2015, 02:23 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,889 times
Allow me to summarize...

StAugustine is from here.

Everyone else is not.

StAugustine describes St Johns county as two crappy high schools surrounded by nothing but woods and backroad hillbilly locals chewing tobacco on the porch of the only General Store in town. This would be "the good ol' days"

Then the young whippersnappers came in, knocked down some trees, poured interest, jobs, and money into the county, built a bunch of houses, and improved schools (only because the students are better, not the schools mind you). StAugustine describes these people as the "squawking alien retards" or "everyone but him"

Several of the alien retards refuted his points with logic and solid fact that was refuted with an ill fitting Wikipedia reference and a lot of CAPITAL LETTERS.

Basically he's the local that refuses to leave his cabin in the woods and shakes his fists out the window of his 1960's pickup truck at all us "yuppies" who have moved here in the last 20 years.

Sound about right?

Old 03-04-2015, 03:05 PM

172 posts, read 239,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Sound about right?
No, it sounds about like a dumb, elaborate characterization that people make up when they find themselves on the other side of an unfavorable, otherwise legitimate criticism. Since said criticism applies to you, you characterize their abstract drivel as being "solid fact!" when that couldn't be further from the truth.

Its funny, though, how people, in their rush to narrate a situation that most favorably reflects on their own personal interests, always seem to lose track of the fact that ultimately, whatever you say still has to be credible.

Spend some time in a courtroom and listen to the things the defendants and their attorneys say. Its much like what you typed, right there.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Allow me to summarize...

StAugustine is from here.

Everyone else is not.

StAugustine describes St Johns county as two crappy high schools surrounded by nothing but woods and backroad hillbilly locals chewing tobacco on the porch of the only General Store in town. This would be "the good ol' days"

Then the young whippersnappers came in, knocked down some trees, poured interest, jobs, and money into the county, built a bunch of houses, and improved schools (only because the students are better, not the schools mind you). StAugustine describes these people as the "squawking alien retards" or "everyone but him"

Several of the alien retards refuted his points with logic and solid fact that was refuted with an ill fitting Wikipedia reference and a lot of CAPITAL LETTERS.

Basically he's the local that refuses to leave his cabin in the woods and shakes his fists out the window of his 1960's pickup truck at all us "yuppies" who have moved here in the last 20 years.

Sound about right?
Perfectly said, lol.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:40 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
Sounds right to me

Old 03-05-2015, 06:46 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
When you don't have zoning, but at the same time population is exploding, crap happens. Clearcutting, endless stripmalls and people of walmart roving around everywhere. thank goodness Amelia Island hasn't been ruined yet. That's a lovely spot! Beach and town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville