Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:54 AM

272 posts, read 999,379 times

Advertisements

Hello. I currently live in NW St. John’s County in Fruit Cove (Also known as “St. Johns”). I used to live in Midlothian for a short while back in 2007-2008 (We moved up from Jax, but had to move back because we couldn’t sell our house down here). So I think I can give you some insight. (Incidently, I became a member of this forum when looking to move to VA back then and it was a tremendous help!)

I also work at a local hospital and can give you some insight as well.

Keep in mind, these are my opinions based on my experiences:

Schools:

It’s no secret St. Johns County schools a rated the best in the state. So you can’t go wrong there. I moved to Jax in the 80’s from NY (while in middle school) and I am a product of the public schools here.
A lot has changed in 25 years.
When I got married we moved to Riverside/Avondale and put our child in private school because the neighborhood schools weren’t that great.
My wife has also taught in Duval County Schools for 5+years (first as a substitute, then as a permanent teacher). As a sub, she saw a lot of the inner workings of various schools.
Based on what she saw overall with the administration, no way we would choose Duval Schools.

You really can’t go wrong with any of the St. Johns County Schools.

We moved out to St. John’s last year, and our child will be attending school out there. We love the area!

Neighborhoods.
St. John’s /Nocatee/Julington Creek (and Mandarin in Duval County) are most like Midlothian. Typical Suburbs.
Drive from Julington Creek to beach is about 20-25 minutes.

A lot of Jacksonville is typical suburbs, with the exception of:

San Marco is like Libby & Grove
Riverside/Avondale is like a mix between Libby & Grove (shopping wise) with a mix of Westover Hills (architechture wise).
Springfield is best comparison to East End/Bellvue/W Laburnum area.

There’s nothing really like The Fan or Shockoe here. Downtown doesn’t really have that much residential living, although it’s on it’s way, and hopefully, the recent proposal about the Shipyards will take off as planned.

Work/Hospitals
A lot of great Hospitals here.
Avg. RN salary is about $30/hr
Plenty of work available for RN’s here.

Commute time is from St. John’s/Julington Creek Area
• Baptist Health (which has Baptist downtown/San Marco and Baptist South and Baptist Beaches)
o Baptist downtown is about 35-40 minute morning commute
o Not sure morning commute to Baptist South, but guessing only about 20 minutes
• St. Vincent’s
o St. Vincent’s Riverside – 45 minute commute
o St. Vincent’s Southside – 35-40 minute commute
• UF Health Jacksonville (Level 1 Trauma/Teaching Hospital)
o 50-60 minute commute
• Mayo Clinic
o 35-40 minute commute

There’s also Flagler Hospital, south of St. Johns. Don’t know too much about it though.

To me, Jacksonville is very similar to Richmond. It’s a “big” small town. It has great sports, great outdoor activities. It’s also HOT. Will be in the 80’s here this week.
And although it will cool back down with lows in the 40’s next week, locals here are all saying to themselves “Summer’s coming”.

Late July/August and even early September is stifiling. We loved the 4 full seasons you get in Richmond.
Also, if you want ‘a change of scenery’ closest drive is to Atlanta (6 hours).

Hope all this helps. Please feel free to send me direct message if you’d like more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 08:17 AM

6 posts, read 9,518 times
Default Thank you!

Wow, that was extremely helpful, thank you! We may contact you as more questions arise, if that is still ok. Thank you!!!!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:02 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,613,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingForsomething new View Post
He's been on the fire department just over 13 years in Virginia so, yes, he is vested in their retirement system.

Wow, isn't he 7 years away from getting his full pension? I don't know if I would leave if i was in his shoes. Is he on board with moving?

That said, I've visited JAX a few times. I really like the city. I lived in Phoenix for a while and south east JAX (where 295 meets 202) reminds me of everything I liked about Phoenix plus a beach. Good highways. Lots of Mediterranean and Tuscan style homes, easy access to the beach and so much more. The zoo is pretty nice. I'm typically not one that enjoys a downtown area, but the Jacksonville landing area is fantastic too. Wouldn't want to live there, but it's great to visit. The airport is decent for traveling, 95 is right there, and so on.

Amtrak even has a stop if you like to travel by rail. I love NYC, and to get a sleeper suite on a train and wake up in penn station would be pretty amazing. There are stops at all the major cities from miami to boston.

Good luck in your search!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:41 AM

24 posts, read 49,784 times
I always wonder how the Original Posters ended up. Maybe they will let us know.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:00 PM

31 posts, read 38,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LItransplant View Post
I always wonder how the Original Posters ended up. Maybe they will let us know.
I agree!!!)

Old 03-19-2016, 05:20 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,434,279 times
Sometimes you can find out by looking at other messages a poster wrote. But - in this case - the OP hasn't been on CD since April 2015. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville