Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 02:20 PM

370 posts, read 323,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyJake View Post
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, and am searching for some information. My family and I currently live on Long Island and are looking into relocating to St. Johns County for the schools. ....
Please don't take this the wrong way, but the question begs asking. While St. Johns schools are some of the best in the state, schools up north remain, overall, much better than anything down here. So why go through the time & expense of relocation when you're already in an area that has better public schools?

I think relocation here for the reason you gave would be a grave mistake.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:53 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,135,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but the question begs asking. While St. Johns schools are some of the best in the state, schools up north remain, overall, much better than anything down here. So why go through the time & expense of relocation when you're already in an area that has better public schools?

FYI, this is a 2 year old thread that was dug up by someone else. The OP hasn't posted since that time.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger20 View Post
Contact St. Johns county school district and they can tell you if there are certain schools that offer the services he needs. Our son was in a similar situation as yours and we met with the director of Special Ed for St Johns county prior to moving here. They were very accommodating and made sure he received the services he needed. It did not matter which school we selected as they all had the resources as needed.

We are in Durbin Crossing but the entire area is quite safe.

We know almost all of our neighbors and have not run into any "snobs" so far . And no where near the ghetto lol.
I contacted the director for Special Ed and he told me I needed to go to the Assistant Principal of the school in my zone and they couldn't help until we established residency. Would you mind sharing who you talked to specifically? It looks like it really is up to the individual! Our son is also high-functioning autism, very social and happy, and currently in PreK but we want the school to work out for him long-term. Thank you!

Old 03-12-2019, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmtSF View Post
Look at Ocean Palms, Julington Creek or Timber Creek elementary in St. Johns County. Of the three, Ocean Palms gets the best reviews from special needs parents. If you are considering private school, consider Shephard of the Woods, which is an immersion style school that includes both neurotypical and non-neurotypical kids.
By Shepherd of the Woods, do you mean Shepherd of the Woods Lutheran School? Southside or Lakeshore location?

Old 03-13-2019, 06:08 AM

482 posts, read 415,718 times
I'm not sure why we're resurrecting two year old posts, but I saw this one below and I must agree.

So many moving to SJC with special needs children. Why? Seriously? So many of you from up north have access to MUCH better schools and facilities to handle this. Moving here almost seems....selfish on your part as a parent, and certainly sends a message that you're willing to let taxpayers in this state shoulder the cost of what is your responsibility as a parent.

As I've stated numerous times before, I don't expect many to agree with me. That's fine. I tend to be pointed about things. I'm "that guy" who says what you're really thinking but are afraid to say it. So I'll say this: Your job as a parent is to provide the best possible life for your child. Sometimes, that means putting off that move to the Sunshine state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: