Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:12 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,653,518 times

Advertisements

Getting congested and hard to get around, I'm taken with how much traffic a place with this population can produce. Anyway it's just another conventional place; so-so. It will provide those amenities appropriate to your social class, as will many other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 08:41 AM

9,273 posts, read 8,182,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Getting congested and hard to get around, I'm taken with how much traffic a place with this population can produce. Anyway it's just another conventional place; so-so. It will provide those amenities appropriate to your social class, as will many other places.
Traffic is indeed spiking with all of the new developments sprouting up everywhere. The infrastructure isn't quite set up to handle all of the added wheels on the road either. Specifically, Race Track Rd between St Johns Pkwy and the Bartram neighborhoods is a terrible hot mess during the late afternoon/evening commute. It backs up for miles with that ridiculous 2-lane road. I have heard that the new developers will be helping to pay to expand that section of the road, but I'm sure that's likely years away. 9B, once finished, will only make that area more congested so I sure hope the County has plans to expand that road as much as they can.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:20 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,986,666 times
I too am looking in the St Johns County area. We were there this past July and loved the area. Friendly people, nice weather, affordable, with the amenities that we are looking for. Can't wait until that dream comes to fruition.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:33 PM

454 posts, read 692,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Traffic is indeed spiking with all of the new developments sprouting up everywhere. The infrastructure isn't quite set up to handle all of the added wheels on the road either. Specifically, Race Track Rd between St Johns Pkwy and the Bartram neighborhoods is a terrible hot mess during the late afternoon/evening commute. It backs up for miles with that ridiculous 2-lane road. I have heard that the new developers will be helping to pay to expand that section of the road, but I'm sure that's likely years away. 9B, once finished, will only make that area more congested so I sure hope the County has plans to expand that road as much as they can.
Just saw signage today on Race Track that says 9B will be done in 2018.

I've heard that the plan is to extend Race Track to four lanes all the way through, but that will take a lot of work, especially the overpass over I-95.

People living in the new communities in that stretch you described have a terrible time turning left. I imagine lights will come eventually as well.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:55 AM

226 posts, read 265,739 times
What are rental prices in this area - it sounds nice - I'm not raising a family but I want a safe environment - don't care about nightlife

Old 10-31-2015, 04:41 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,386,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
We've been here for 20 years (moved from Miami) and I agree with you. Want to see what SJC will look like in 20 years if we don't slow down development? Spend a couple of days in Broward County.

Our BCC was extremely irresponsible IMO - perhaps paid off - to permit so much dense development in the I-95 corridor in the 90's and early 2000's.

My husband and I are retired. The 2 things we like best about where we live are our golf facility and our medical care. We cook at home most of the time now - because the restaurants are pretty mediocre. The food shopping is quite excellent. Robyn

Old 10-31-2015, 08:27 PM

443 posts, read 888,905 times
Hey, Robyn - welcome back! I wondered what happened to you. Glad to see you in the forum again.

Vigo

Old 11-01-2015, 08:25 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,386,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
Hey, Robyn - welcome back! I wondered what happened to you. Glad to see you in the forum again.

Vigo
Thank you . Nothing happened. Just took a break.

I guess one thing no one has mentioned is that SJC is a big county in terms of square miles and has many different flavors of neighborhoods/areas. The last time I spent a fair amount of time in the I-95/210 area was in late 2013/early 2014 - when our golf course was closed for renovations for 7 months and we were playing at golf courses elsewhere. I found that area was very congested - especially at rush hour. For that reason - that area is one of my least favorite parts of the county.

Note that many parts of the county (which used to be almost totally empty) have had too much population growth in recent years - and have outgrown their infrastructure. Even here in PVB - left turns on A1A that used to be a breeze have become problematic. It is going to take a long time for us to catch up.

And don't even get me started on other areas in terms of congestion. We now avoid the Town Center/Costco except on weekdays (and try to hit Costco in the late afternoon). And we avoid "downtown" almost 100% because of the I-95 construction mess. Seems like this metro area didn't learn one thing from the development mistakes made earlier in other Florida metro areas. Robyn

Old 11-02-2015, 05:14 AM

58 posts, read 74,155 times
Americngrl - the rental prices in the northern part of St Johns county including zip codes 32259 32081, 32082, 32092 and 32095 are higher than thee remainder of St Johns County and the surrounding counties indluding Duval County. A !ot of the higher ranking public schools are located in those zip codes. Zillow will provide a decent snapshot of rental properties. There are smaller 2 bedroom condos starting around 1000 sf in Julington Creek and Ponte Vedra starting around 1100. The smaller 1300 to 1600 sf 3 bedroom single family homes start around 1350. To 1500. A lot of the properties that were distressed after the downturn were purchased by management companies and are now rental homes. Many of these homes are located in the communities off 210 and WGV.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:00 AM

4 posts, read 9,963 times
Default Builders & neighborhoods

Hi, Can you tell us who some good builders are in the area and schools or good neighborhoods for teens. We have a 13 & 15 year old. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Swip View Post
We love it here! Moved here from MI 14 years ago, so the climate change took a few years to get used to. We love not having the long, freezing winters, but I have to admit I miss the perfect summer weather in MI when we would enjoy being outside from sunrise until long after dark every day! The summers are so hot here that unless we take our 4 kids to the pool, which is a lot fortunately, they are pretty much cooped up inside in the air conditioning which gets pretty old for their whole summer vacation. That's really my only complaint. I am a stay at home mom too, and there are many in our community, (Aberdeen near Durbin Crossing and Julington Creek Plantation). Mostly young families, very, very nice people! The schools are wonderful. I like all the nature, parks, and secluded areas around, but we're still not too far from St. Augustine and Jacksonville for all that they have to offer. I think St. John's County offers a very high quality of life - the perfect place to raise a family in my opinion! Anyone relocating to the area please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, like what the best neighborhoods or home builders are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville