Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2008, 02:28 PM

30 posts, read 159,145 times

Advertisements

Haven't moved down yet. Just trying to get more information for when I do. What is the nicest, cleanest, safest beach in the Jacksonville area? For those from the PA, NJ, NY area who are familiar with the Jersey shore I am looking for a Cape May or Avalon beach vs. a Wildwood or Atlantic City.

I am also assuming that all beaches are free there in Jacksonville? I get pretty tired of having to buy beach tags every summer up here.

From what I can see so far there is no beach there that even compares to the 30 minute walk (exaggerating a bit) you need to endure to get to the water in Wildwood, N.J.. Although they have a ton to do and you never get tired of hearing Wawawawa Watch the tram car please. Do any beaches have any kind of amusements there in Jax? Any feedback on Adventure Landing/ Shipwreck Island Water Park?

Tram Car- Wildwood

Wildwood Amusement Pier (one of many).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 02:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
I grew up in NY, so I'm familiar with all the beaches you mentioned and there's no beach really like that in NorthEast Florida.

Jax Beach used to have a boardwalk many moons ago, but it's long gone. There is a small section remaining, but it's tiny. There is a nice new pier though that goes a mile out into the ocean:

Jacksonville Beach Pier (http://jacksonvillebeachpier.com/pierinfo.html - broken link)

You can easily walk to the water from the dunes and in Atlantic Beach you can walk to some restaurants, shops, etc. just off the ocean.

The beaches are mostly free with the exception of the beach parks.

So, Jax Beach, Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach areas - you just walk onto the beach (no driving allowed).

Beaches like Hanna Park you pay $4 or so per carload to enter (it's worth it - very nice ). We also have Beach Parks like Guana where it is up to you to drop some money into a box when you park.

Here are some links to my favorite beaches:

Hanna Park:
Hanna Park

Hugenot:
Huguenot Memorial Park

Guana:
Guana Tolomato Matanzas Reserve, Florida

Old 02-02-2008, 04:24 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Like Riveree, I am also from NY and agree with everything said about NEFL beaches. The one comparison I would make is that the water seems somewhat cleaner here and whereas I would rarely swim in the water up north, I never think twice about taking a swim here.

The other thing, I prefer the more peaceful beaches here to the carnival atmosphere and boom boxes that I would try to avoid up north particularly in the summer months. For me the better beach experience is more like getting a bit closer to nature, if you know what I mean. My first time at the beach here I couldn't believe my eyes ... a whole school of huge dolphins were swimming and playing only a few yards away.

I am sure you will love Jacksonville beaches.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:31 PM

67 posts, read 370,578 times
Quietest and best for really long beach walks: Atlantic Beach, going north from Atlantic Boulevard. You can walk/jog for miles, and the clapboard beach houses along that stretch are just gorgeous. I spent many serene afternoons there while living in Jacksonville.

Ponte Vedra Beach is more of a pink/coral sand, and the shelling there is great. It's also on the quieter side.

If you want the party atmosphere, Neptune/Jax Beach are your best bets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville