Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:16 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Ouch! 1 per night would be 365 murder per year....that's more than double the real number.
You might be right that statistically one person per night doesn't die....If there isnt' a murder a night, there is at least 1 shooting per night. i don't care what the data says...it's on the news every morning. We always laugh that we have to have our daily dose of murder and crime with our coffee or it's not a real Jacksonville morning.

I know the crime is isolated.....however it is rampant, and no one can deny that. People were carjacked, and mugged in gated Southside neighborhood the other week, last night there was a murder in Plum Creek by Oakleaf Plantation.....the pockets are expanding, and denying it won't change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:32 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,520 times
I have been very fortunate to meet other people who are in their mid-twenties and who are new to the area....within 4-5 months....just like myself. And it is no lie that all of us, when asked if we like Jacksonville....just kind of think about it for a little while...trying to muster up something positive to say and then just finally blurt out "Well, its ok...kind of boring though...I wish there was a little more going on. A lot of stuff is closed at night. Its funny to see the downtown so empty." That is a very general comment for anyone who moved here not knowing anybody in their young 20's. Not just my own, that is general.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
I have been very fortunate to meet other people who are in their mid-twenties and who are new to the area....within 4-5 months....just like myself. And it is no lie that all of us, when asked if we like Jacksonville....just kind of think about it for a little while...trying to muster up something positive to say and then just finally blurt out "Well, its ok...kind of boring though...I wish there was a little more going on. A lot of stuff is closed at night. Its funny to see the downtown so empty." That is a very general comment for anyone who moved here not knowing anybody in their young 20's. Not just my own, that is general.
The funniest thing is....Jacksonville is the youngest city (per capita), but my husband and I (early 30's), but lived in Tampa in our 20's...found other parts of Florida much more fun, and lively. We ALWAYS had clubs, restaurants, nightlife in Tampa area...not here. We go to Ft Myers, and there is stuff to do all the time....It's ironic how the youngest area, caters so little to that population.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
The funniest thing is....Jacksonville is the youngest city (per capita), but my husband and I (early 30's), but lived in Tampa in our 20's...found other parts of Florida much more fun, and lively. We ALWAYS had clubs, restaurants, nightlife in Tampa area...not here. We go to Ft Myers, and there is stuff to do all the time....It's ironic how the youngest area, caters so little to that population.
So Tampa is better than Jax?....I hear that St. Petersburg is currently the nicest place in Florida....according to a friend who recently spent 15 days traveling to the biggest and most well-known cities in Florida. He went to West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, Naples, Gainesville, St. Pete, Tampa, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, and St. Augustine. He said downtown St. Pete on the water is like a mini, more-laid back, more chilled, yet still-as nice-as south beach. He said if he had to choose to live anywhere in Florida, he is 23, he would live in St. Pete. He really liked it much more than any other place in Florida.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:21 AM

353 posts, read 1,148,585 times
One of our biggest reasons for moving BACK to the area is

THE ST. JOHNS RIVER.... then again... we love boating!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
So Tampa is better than Jax?....I hear that St. Petersburg is currently the nicest place in Florida....according to a friend who recently spent 15 days traveling to the biggest and most well-known cities in Florida. He went to West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, Naples, Gainesville, St. Pete, Tampa, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, and St. Augustine. He said downtown St. Pete on the water is like a mini, more-laid back, more chilled, yet still-as nice-as south beach. He said if he had to choose to live anywhere in Florida, he is 23, he would live in St. Pete. He really liked it much more than any other place in Florida.
The Pinellas County area in FL has a ton to do for the 20 something crowd. While no one would assume..due to snowbirds, Clearwater Beach (St. Pete has some very bad patches so you have to be careful), and St. Pete by Tierra Verde is wonderful. Lots of bars, bars on the beach/sand, there is Ybor City, where people club quite a bit..Gasparilla (which just happened a weekend or so ago) etc. Tampa has great jobs for IT, healthcare, corporate, etc. I would say it's WAY better...but that is my opinion. My husband spent late teens through late 20's there, and misses it dearly. I was born there, moved away, and then came back for my late 20's, early 30's. If we could afford the new taxes and insurance there...we would go back in a heartbeat...heck, our old house if for sale for less than we sold it for!!!!!!!!!!! So, long story short...Yes, yes and yes.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1v3rRat View Post
One of our biggest reasons for moving BACK to the area is

THE ST. JOHNS RIVER.... then again... we love boating!
We love boating too...we have one, and have used it once here in Jax. The SW coast of FL is way more conducive to easy boating. Tons of canals, bays and the gulf. My husband's job is in the boating industry. Just better over there, and in the Southeast (Palm Beach/Lauderdale areas) That is not to discount that Jax has a much bigger boating scene than I would have thought, but we like deep sea fishing, and unless you are on a charter...the north florida atlantic ocean doen't cut it. The gulf is better for the majority of fishing.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
PS...if you are a 20 something guy...Tampa has way better sports. They have the Devil Rays (we only went to the games to see them play the Yankees, Red Sox, etc.), the Lightning for Hockey and of course, the Bucs. Always some sort of sporting event. Also, the Phillies and the Yankees spring train in St. Pete/Clearwater.

I'd move if I were you.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM

265 posts, read 993,901 times
LewLew,
I am a fan of the Gulf also. how much could taxes and insurance have increased to make you stay in this area. It seems tome the gulf is worth a few extra thousand a year. Thats me personally. I haven't heard how much insurance and taxes have increased. i would love to hear a ballpark figure on the increases. Look forward to hearing it. I miss the GOM

Old 02-05-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
PS...if you are a 20 something guy...Tampa has way better sports. They have the Devil Rays (we only went to the games to see them play the Yankees, Red Sox, etc.), the Lightning for Hockey and of course, the Bucs. Always some sort of sporting event. Also, the Phillies and the Yankees spring train in St. Pete/Clearwater.

I'd move if I were you.
Thanks LewLew for the advice....my company does have a Tampa office! My dad would love to visit me for Yankees spring training....he is a huge Yankee fan. I also am a big hockey fan so that is another bonus....but I do want to live in a downtown area. I never again want to live in the suburbs unless I am married with kids!! Never!! Can you give me advice on good neighborhoods either in or near to downtown for young people to live? Or are all the good areas in Clearwater or St. Pete?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville