Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 PM

541 posts, read 2,285,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
FYI, more people are leaving NJ all the time, taxes are forcing many people out.

True....but immigrants keep filling in for all those that leave. I do not think there is a net population loss...last time I heard. There are too many major company headquarters in NJ for a significant population loss to occur. And as long as NYC is there, those major companies will set up shop in north NJ or CT.

yes you can get almost any kind of food there, many people make a great deal of money there, it is one of the most affluent states, but it also has some of the worst poverty sticken old cities too.

Very True....I never was graced with an opportunity to head to Trenton or Camden....but I did go to Newark, Patterson, Dover quite frequently. And although they were very poor cities, they were still great places to experience ethnic cultures. Newark has Portuguese, Brazilian, Africans, etc. Patterson has Turks, Peruvians, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans etc. Dover has Colombians, Mexicans, etc. So, for me I still enjoyed going to these poor areas to experience all of these cultures. Not just their food, but their music, movies, newspapers, television. You could get it all.

Another thing is that only a small part of the state in so NY centric, half the state is more focused on philadelphia and us people from the shore can't stand any of you city types.
it is crowded, it is rural, it is a state of contrasts, if you don't like it where you are just drive a few miles it will be a different place.

Yeah south Jersey is mostly farmland. I guess North Jersey/South Jersey are like South Florida/North Florida. Two states, two different cultures based on north or south location. And I never was a fan of the shore. Paying to go on the beach is extortion. But, it was still a cool experience. No other place that costs 30 dollars to park and 7 dollars to get on the beach has such a reputation like the Jersey shore. Its the Jersey shore!
The high density is a double edged sword, sure because of the high density it can support things we can only dream about here in JAX but try and get to the shore on a saturday morning, a few hours to drive a few miles and then when you get there, there's nowhere to park. Try and go to one of those great malls there, same deal like going to the shore, traffic after searching for a parking space you'll need to have sharp elbows to get any shopping done, want to eat while there? prepare to wait an hour for a table, thanks I'll take lowly JAX.

As far as getting from place to place, time is about the same in Jersey and Jax. It would take 20 minutes to go 10 miles in Jersey, but in Jax things that were within 10 miles in NJ are 20 miles in Jax. So, I have not noticed much of a savings in terms of how long it takes me do things. Jax is spread out, north Jersey is dense. Either way time is wasted. That is life.

You are way too hung up on NJ, I've been out of there a year now and I go back at least once a month, and everytime I return to JAX I am so glad to be here. So I can't get a decent bagel, pork roll, slice of pizza, or an itlalian hot dog, shop at bloomies or nordstroms, I'll survive.

I guess we are opposites on this one. When I came back to Jax after Christmas, I wanted to get on the plane and go back. The airport here was empty, my apartment complex was empty. I missed the high density of NJ, where there are constantly people around even after 10pm. I missed family, friends, etc. and I gave all of them up for Jacksonville? It was kind of disheartening.

I thought we had this figured out already? why aren't you outta here yet? nobody should be so miserable about where they live like you are

Well that's the problem buddy. If I didn't work for a great company here who has treated me very well, I probably would pack up my stuff and leave. Heading to South Florida, or the northeast, or another country. Anything that is not "typical suburban America." So, for now I need to sacrifice my social life and interests to give back to the company I work for. It really is a fantastic job and a fantastic company...one of the best in the country for the services it provides. So, I can't replace the company I work for.

In the mean time, I need to not come across so negative as I have recently. I think although my negative posts are annoying to people like yourself who like Jax, they are honest opinions from my age/social group. So, they can be constructive and can promote change for Jacksonville. It is by all means a great suburban family place, but it does lack any character and few incentives for young people's social lives. So, these types of "negative" comments can either cause arguments or promote improvements. It all depends on the levels of stubborness and pride that exist among the people in charge of Jacksonville.
Notice that the response is in GS parkway colors. 4 lanes each way...bumper to bumper...but yet everybody is still going 75.....gotta love the parkway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 06:55 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
Notice that the response is in GS parkway colors. 4 lanes each way...bumper to bumper...but yet everybody is still going 75.....gotta love the parkway!
in my part of the parkway it's actually 6 lanes in each direction and on fridays and mondays from may to sept all lanes are crawling

Old 02-09-2008, 09:31 PM

53 posts, read 58,123 times
Why do some folks always seem to bring up Jax versus NY and NJ. Nobody wants Jax to be like those places anyhow, so who cares if Jax isnt like Ny or NJ... thank God!!!

Southern pride, Jags football and fishing! Jax dont change!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
People go fishing in NY too...

Old 02-09-2008, 10:51 PM

53 posts, read 58,123 times
Lol, that's true compelled. good observation my friend!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:09 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
I think you jumped on this forum just to insult people. No one called anyone dumb b/c of a southern accent. Big difference between a redneck, and someone from the south. The negative things listed about Jax are people's opinions of not finding a great "scene" here. No one is shooting down Jax, nor it's people...they are asking and stating that another place might be better. This forum is for people to express positives, ask about negatives etc. There is no need for you to call anyone on tis board a racist moron. There are people on here who are genuinely concerned as they moved here, and aren't finding what they want. They reached out to find out if they were alone, or if anyone else felt the same way they did. Please go back to the OP, and get a clue.
I am not on here to insult people by any means.

People from the Northeast generally assume they are smarter than anyone with a Southern accent. And this is from someone who grew up in NJ with a mother from a well educated Southern family (It is pervasive on movies, TV and in the media. Just look at all the dumb racists on TV/movies... they seem to have a Southern twang even if they live in Minnesota.) I wasn't calling anyone on this board a racist moron I was pointing out that many people who move here make assumptions on education level/intelligence from the accent they hear. The hearer makes that assumption

There are some great points on the board about where Jax can improve and I want Jax to be the best it can be.... It has to start somewhere. We may not have the amount of "cultural amenities" of NYC but it is much more accessible here than in NYC. ( Getting to the city, the cost etc) If you want a "scene" find it... I have met lots of diverse, artistic, interesting people here. Granted there is not a Greenwich Village here so you may have to search them out. Not to beat the point to death. But again If all you do is complain about how horrible a place is.... it will be.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:50 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I am not on here to insult people by any means.

People from the Northeast generally assume they are smarter than anyone with a Southern accent.
speak for yourself

Old 02-12-2008, 01:59 PM

9 posts, read 31,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
You might be right that statistically one person per night doesn't die....If there isnt' a murder a night, there is at least 1 shooting per night. i don't care what the data says...it's on the news every morning. We always laugh that we have to have our daily dose of murder and crime with our coffee or it's not a real Jacksonville morning.

I know the crime is isolated.....however it is rampant, and no one can deny that. People were carjacked, and mugged in gated Southside neighborhood the other week, last night there was a murder in Plum Creek by Oakleaf Plantation.....the pockets are expanding, and denying it won't change it.
Ok guys I was born and raised in Philly where we had the highest shooting deaths in the country last year. I live in the city where I hear gun shots at least 3 or more times a week. Helicopters fly above my house shining a light throughout the neighborhood every now and then. Knock on wood, I have not been involved with any form or crime. Now is Jacksonville equivalatent, less or worse?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:02 PM

859 posts, read 3,616,779 times
oh that's what we don't have, good o police helicopter chase. I don't think we even have helicopter news team.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:03 PM

459 posts, read 1,417,084 times
i think the news team there drives bubba trucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville