U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 5,295 times

Advertisements

i currently live is Springfield. been here for about 3yrs now. I love the architecture and character of the houses. I also love you can get a hell of a lot of house for relatively cheap. Now my question is how long is this gentrification going to take. The schools in the area are absolutely terrible. i have no kids but plan on having some in about a yr or 2. Im really tired of the ghetto stuff that goes on in this neighborhood. From obscenely loud music being played through a P.A system in a car to finding churches chicken trash and beer cans in my yard. My wife used to go running through the neighborhood when we lived in St.Aug but doesnt feel safe at all doing it here. My budget for a first home is about 165k. Thats not enough for San Marco, avondale or really Riverside. My question is should such a large investment be made in SPringField?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 05:20 PM

3,271 posts, read 4,311,353 times
There was a poster on here that was wicked pro Springfield......he was adamant about the rebirth of Springfield and he swore the best area was the one square mile of historic Springfield..........you can search in this forum to find out a lot of info on the area. There are also very active groups you can google that are living in the area.

I would research, research, research before buying. I have a good friend that bought outside the core and he could not take the area any longer and walked away.

South of the St John's River in Riverside, Avondale, San Marco......these areas are flourishing.

For some reason downtown, and north of there (Springfield) just can not seem to get jump started.

When we first moved to Northeast Florida the Landing was brand new and was going to stimulate downtown......now they are looking to tear it down and try again to build something that will revitalize downtown.

As I said do a search of this forum and Google Springfield, there are a lot of people that have put so much sweat equity in restoring these old homes.

My opinion is that it is going to take time........not years but a decade at least to see a remarkable change.

Me I would try to find a fixer upper in Riverside that needs some real sweat equity.

Good luck

Old 08-02-2015, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 5,295 times
problem is everyone that lives here says its amazing.........i just dont see it lol. honestly the best thing for people to do is buy our the residents who dont care to maintain a nice neighborhood instead of buying the abandoned houses.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Status: "Growing and operating Red Rooster Property Management" (set 5 days ago)

2,472 posts, read 5,571,447 times
The pro-Springfield/urban core user is 'fsu813'. Haven't seen them post in a while, though. They're likely spending time at a competing forum, where they would cross-link information.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:26 PM

7,225 posts, read 7,859,973 times
In some ways there's been an unspoken race between Springfield and Murray Hill, two urban core neighborhoods both trying to gentrify and attract folks seeking out the urban core at a more affordable price point in exchange for living through the transitional phase.

I've always shied away from Springfield, thinking it's gonna need a few more years to get past the tipping point and really show significant progress. For whatever reason (there are a few causes that get debated), Murray Hill has been able to lure more new business to its walkable commercial corridor and has definitely seen greater investment and activity over the last 2-3 year window. It certainly seems like Murray Hill has won the early race and I've confidently bet on this.

That said, I do see signs that things are picking up in Springfield. There's a lot more action on Main St and interest in putting retail there. It's not like a lot of it is actually happening, but the interest is greater than it has ever been since I returned in '09. So you might consider Murray Hill. West of Edgewood and South of Post is best.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:12 PM

376 posts, read 351,923 times
I am a pro Springfield resident. Everything Fiberglass Coffin said is true. Trash, loud music, we even have a mini gang doing crimes of opportunity checking doors on cars and rummaging through them if they are unlocked. It can be a pain in ass.

That being said, this neighborhood is very active and people look out for each other. There are several Facebook pages dedicated to various activities, a couple are for residents only and used for posting about suspicious activity. Not a lot goes on that isn't posted pretty quick.

Other than Murray Hill, there is not another neighborhood in the Urban Core where you can get more bang for your buck than Springfield. Maybe in Jacksonville. But that won't last. I used to search the realtor pages and find little bungalows going for less than 20K all the time. Not that many now. One house last week sold for 280k. Granted that one had a garage apartment and a pool. But you get the point. The values are going up and I think they will continue.

If you and your wife aren't comfortable here and still have concerns about the direction of the neighborhood after 3 years, it may not be for you. I understand that. I think Springfield is an acquired taste. It isn't for everybody. I love it and can't see living anywhere else myself. I have been in Springfield for 5 years and I think it is on the way up.

A good friend here in the neighborhood put it best. Springfield, you either get it, or you don't.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:45 AM

3,271 posts, read 4,311,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonvilleNative View Post
I am a pro Springfield resident. Everything Fiberglass Coffin said is true. Trash, loud music, we even have a mini gang doing crimes of opportunity checking doors on cars and rummaging through them if they are unlocked. It can be a pain in ass.

That being said, this neighborhood is very active and people look out for each other. There are several Facebook pages dedicated to various activities, a couple are for residents only and used for posting about suspicious activity. Not a lot goes on that isn't posted pretty quick.

Other than Murray Hill, there is not another neighborhood in the Urban Core where you can get more bang for your buck than Springfield. Maybe in Jacksonville. But that won't last. I used to search the realtor pages and find little bungalows going for less than 20K all the time. Not that many now. One house last week sold for 280k. Granted that one had a garage apartment and a pool. But you get the point. The values are going up and I think they will continue.

If you and your wife aren't comfortable here and still have concerns about the direction of the neighborhood after 3 years, it may not be for you. I understand that. I think Springfield is an acquired taste. It isn't for everybody. I love it and can't see living anywhere else myself. I have been in Springfield for 5 years and I think it is on the way up.

A good friend here in the neighborhood put it best. Springfield, you either get it, or you don't.
I hope for all of those living in Springfield your dreams do come true, it is just painful to watch the snails pace at downtown redevelopment. While most cities have seen tremendous rebirth in their urban core, Jacksonville lags tremendously behind.

If downtown does revitalize and more jobs continue to come in, Springfield should show dramatic change for the better.

There is a tremendous stock of older homes looking for those willing to put in the sweat equity!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:19 AM

644 posts, read 1,226,649 times
I'm coming to Jacksonville for a visit in a couple of weeks with the exclusive intention of checking out Springfield. I've been following the neighborhood for about 4 years so far. I'm very intrigued by the beautiful homes and the vibrant community. I don't mind sketchy. Any suggestions on what I should check out specifically? I am staying 3 nights. So any advice on where to go, what to see would be great! Thanks!

Old 08-03-2015, 12:07 PM

7,225 posts, read 7,859,973 times
Well checking out Springfield, including walkthroughs of some homes for sale, can't be more than several hours.

Definitely spend a day in all the other urban core neighborhoods: Riverside, Avondale, Murray Hill, Brooklyn, San Marco. Maybe St Nicholas as well.

A day at the beach is also good. Jax Beach, Beaches Town Center, etc. Some people would recommend visiting the St Johns Town Center. While it's not unique at all, it does give you an idea where a lot of the people in Jax go and where most of the high end retail is.

The rest of your visit would depend on your interests!

Old 08-03-2015, 12:45 PM

644 posts, read 1,226,649 times
Thanks! We'll be staying in Murray Hill and will have our bikes. Hope to explore the city via bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or