U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 AM

19 posts, read 66,841 times

Advertisements

anyone know much about MacClenny, FL? can't find too much info on it, but know its close to Jacksonville. we're moving with walmart DC and have a few places to choose from. we have 2 small children and want to be within 40 min. from water and in a safe place for the kids to grow. not religious, so if thats big around there, like much of the south..no thanks. other places we can choose from are: arcadia and winter haven and anything within 30 min. of those cities. let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 AM

8,204 posts, read 24,061,982 times
Is your Walmart job going to be in Macclenny? Or is there another reason why you're considering Macclenny?

I don't think you will find a lot of information on the area, it's small and mostly rural.

"Close to Jacksonville" is relative, I guess. Macclenny is in Baker county, not too far from the Duval county line, but there is not a whole lot on that end of Duval county either (also a mostly rural area) - you need to drive deeper into Duval to start seeing "stuff".

I don't know how religious folks are in Macclenny, but I would consider the area conservative.

It sounds to me like Macclenny may not be a good fit for you, but that doesn't mean you have to rule out the entire area, just consider living in another area and commuting in to Macclenny. Duval and Clay counties are right there. If what you're looking for is more of a suburban lifestyle with all of the shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc., you can find that in Duval and Clay county (moreso in Duval).

Old 01-27-2008, 04:40 PM

[quote=riveree;2638104]Is your Walmart job going to be in Macclenny? Or is there another reason why you're considering Macclenny?

thanks for the reply! walmart is in actual MacClenny...but i think we are ruling it out. we come from a rural area and would like to try something a little different, w/out it being a city. we're looking towards punta gorda and he'll work out of arcadia, a short distance away...know much about punta gorda?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:54 AM

1,641 posts, read 3,462,083 times
Arcadia to me is extremely rural, you might be happier living in Clay county and commuting to Macclenny. But you mentioned Winterhaven as a possibility, that's going to be more cosmopolitan than either Macclenny or Arcadia, but I don't know if it's 40 minutes from the beach.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 AM

yeah, we wouldn't live in arcadia, probly commute there...we were thinking of looking into Punta Gorda area to commute from. what are your thoughts on that area? I'm just not sure a cosmopolitan area is right for us, like Winter HAven. i've been to punta gorda before the hurricanes and liked the area..but i don't know too much about it other than looks i suppose. have found some affordable places to live there with ammenties we're looking for since i'v started exploring it.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:56 AM

265 posts, read 725,345 times
I can tell you a few years ago Punta Gorda was just a small little town. I am not sure how much it has grown but having just looked up the cities population it is still 17,000. So it seems that it is still a little town. I believe that PG is a slice of heaven if you like the laid back Florida lifestyle. If you seriously want to be in a safe area and want to raise your kids where they know everyone and they all know you PG is your best bet. If you want to live in a more metropolitan area. We lived in Fort Meyers while my wife worked in Port Charlotte and Ft. Meyers was a little larger city with a few more amenities, gyms, stores, etc. But if the children are at the forefront of your choice look no further than PG. The only caveat I would say is this. PG is so far south that there is no seasonal influence the way there is here. When we were there it was hard to get used to putting the Christmas lights up when it was 80 degrees outside. Oh and this fits your time constraints for being close to the beach. I llok forward to hearing what you choose to do. But if your taking votes, I am casting mine for PG. But if you want city living come on down here to Jax we have everything you need.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 AM

by the sounds of your reply, i'm on the right track. although i sometimes would like the ammenities of Ft.Myers, i really don't mind driving a little ways to get to them. we want laid back and not a huge amt. of traffic and the water is very important to us. we're familiar with Port Charlotte, which is close to PG and has more ammenities. anyways, thanks so much for the feedback..and 17,000 for a population seems huge to what we're used to here in upstate NY in small Ft.Plain...hahah! i think we're on the right track w/ PG..thanks!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 PM

1,641 posts, read 3,462,083 times
I lived in Apollo Beach for 3 years, it is a very laid back waterfront community. - most of the streets have canals that lead out to the bay. Now, that may be too far north for you, but it might be something you may want to check out. It has experienced a growth spurt as the county commissioners seem to have opened up the flood gates for development. Most of the children walk to the elementary school in Apollo Beach, although for middle and high school they have to take the bus about 5 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville