Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:37 AM

33 posts, read 99,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralFemale View Post
We just relocated and are starting our house hunt. We've seen a lot of houses in Orange Park (around dr's lake but not waterfront) that we love but everyone keeps squinching up their face and recommending Mandarin or Julington Creek. I can't get them to be more specific as to why except that "it's nicer than orange park"

I work on the south side, so we are looking in those other areas and on the east side of the river. I was just wondering what is so wrong with orange park because in the area we looked it seemed very nice.

Hello, Ms. FeralFemale....

You could have asked "So what's wrong with any town" and probably would have received the same degree of opinions ranging from good to bad, by a large variety of responders. I've lived in different parts of Jacksonville in the past and can assure you, each neighborhood has both its good and bad points. Traffic can be busy in Orange Park, due to the large volume of people commuting to NAS and other areas, but that holds true for every section of Jax.

I will share this much with you...

During the end of my 20 years of service in the Navy, I had my choice of duty stations, to most anywhere in the U.S. I've lived all over the United States, including Washington, Tennessee, Texas, Illinois, Ohio, Virginia and Alabama. There was no question in my mind, that my last duty station would be NAS Jacksonville, while living in Clay County, so moved here in 1996 and retired in 1998. We bought a home right between Orange Park and Middleburg and can assure you, we have been very happy with our decision. Clay County (Middleburg, Orange Park, Green Cove Springs) is very conveniently located to most anywhere you would want to go in Northeast Florida and has had the best school systems we could find. The Florida School ratings can be found here:

School Accountability Report

You can find a diverse range of housing, ranging from the low-$100k's to five times that. If you can get Google Earth on your computer, I'd suggest you explore the different communities, by dropping the little man figure on the different streets and checking out appearances for yourself, while wandering around.

Additionally, Clay County is steeped in history. Clay County, was ONE of the first areas developed in Florida, 2nd only after St. Augustine. You can learn more about the diverse history of this area by visting this website:

Clay County History Month

You can also view pictures taken in and around Clay County by visiting this website:

Clay County Sounder

I hope this helps. Ultimately, it will be your decision where you live, but the people in Clay County are very friendly, there's a lot to do and see, it has many fine restuarants and shopping, and one of the best school systems in the south. Good luck and happy hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 08:38 AM

769 posts, read 829,838 times
I live in Orange Park in the 90's and traffic sucked then, I cant imagine how much worse it is now

Old 11-02-2015, 03:05 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Default My View On Orange Park/Fleming Island Etc.

We looked there in terms of building when we moved to this area (in the mid-1990s).

I am Jewish - and - at the time - when we explored that part of the metro area - well it seemed like no one had a clue about Jewish people (most we encountered had never met one). So we built here in PVB. And - guess what - when we told a couple who moved in next door to us we weren't Baptist - well that was the end of us as far as they were concerned. You can never tell.

The traffic in OP and the surrounding area is bad. How do I know? I used to play ladies' team tennis. And had many matches at Orange Park Country Club - Club Continental - and Eagle Harbor. I was pretty much reverse commuting to play tennis in those places - and even the reverse commute was pretty bad. OTOH - some of the tennis facilities there - like those at Eagle Harbor - were great. Orange Park CC was fine. Club Continental? Meh (it had hard courts that were messed up by tree roots).

Also - the traffic there isn't any worse than the traffic in many other parts of the metro area. Like San Jose Blvd. (used to play tennis matches at the Williams Y - when we go to Whole Foods these days - we use the back roads - Shad/Hood - not San Jose Blvd.). Or many other parts of town. You want to learn about traffic - join a women's tennis team .

In all honesty - the traffic is so bad in so many parts of town these days that I would try to live close to where I worked. No matter where that happens to be. Simple as that. Robyn

Old 11-03-2015, 06:38 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We looked there in terms of building when we moved to this area (in the mid-1990s).

I am Jewish - and - at the time - when we explored that part of the metro area - well it seemed like no one had a clue about Jewish people (most we encountered had never met one). So we built here in PVB. And - guess what - when we told a couple who moved in next door to us we weren't Baptist - well that was the end of us as far as they were concerned. You can never tell.
I met a woman from South Georgia through work. She had never heard of Episcopalians, " Episcowhat?" Which surprised me, the South has a relatively higher number of Episcopalians/Anglicans than other parts of the country. And in the colonial South( VA, GA, NC and SC) there is usually an Episcopal Church that was the first church in town. They were the E"whiskey"palians; they were allowed to drink alcohol,the preacher wore a fancy robe and all but they at least WEREN'T Catholic! It was the state church for the Southern colonies.

I one time met a lady who is the daughter of a Rabbi and she studied to be a Rabbi, (I guess that would have to be a reformed congregation.) She studied a lot about the Jews in the Deep South. Surprisingly to many South Carolina had a large Jewish population in colonial times, the colony had some religious tolerance. (Governor Peter Stuyvesant of New York did not want Jews in the colony at the time.) It was mostly Sephardic Jews, Charleston has a Jewish community going back to the 1600s. One of my friends attended a Jewish wedding in Charleston for one of the old Jewish families, I thought it funny that they served shrimp and grits at the reception. (some sort of Southern dispensation LOL) I read some more about the Jews that spread all across the Deep South from there into Mississippi and Alabama. I read a book called "Shalom y'all" that went into details and remember 'Driving Miss Daisy'. Southern Jews didn't all come down from New York.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I met a woman from South Georgia through work. She had never heard of Episcopalians, " Episcowhat?" Which surprised me, the South has a relatively higher number of Episcopalians/Anglicans than other parts of the country. And in the colonial South( VA, GA, NC and SC) there is usually an Episcopal Church that was the first church in town. They were the E"whiskey"palians; they were allowed to drink alcohol,the preacher wore a fancy robe and all but they at least WEREN'T Catholic! It was the state church for the Southern colonies.

I one time met a lady who is the daughter of a Rabbi and she studied to be a Rabbi, (I guess that would have to be a reformed congregation.) She studied a lot about the Jews in the Deep South. Surprisingly to many South Carolina had a large Jewish population in colonial times, the colony had some religious tolerance. (Governor Peter Stuyvesant of New York did not want Jews in the colony at the time.) It was mostly Sephardic Jews, Charleston has a Jewish community going back to the 1600s. One of my friends attended a Jewish wedding in Charleston for one of the old Jewish families, I thought it funny that they served shrimp and grits at the reception. (some sort of Southern dispensation LOL) I read some more about the Jews that spread all across the Deep South from there into Mississippi and Alabama. I read a book called "Shalom y'all" that went into details and remember 'Driving Miss Daisy'. Southern Jews didn't all come down from New York.
You know some of the history . Many people don't know any. I know some Jewish families in places like Pensacola - like the Levin family (the Levin School of Law at UF Levin family). And the running joke is that their ancestors who came to the US in the late 19th century - early 20th century - and traveled all around as peddlers way back then - made a wrong turn when they got to I-10 . Turned out pretty well for them.

And you're right in your statement about Catholics. Heck - even today - I have a Catholic friend here who has had "issues" - even in her former place of employment. Many Christians don't know/understand Jews - but a lot of fundamental Christians think they're kind of magical (all that "second coming" stuff). Fundamental Christians are among the most ardent supporters of Jews and Israel in the world these days. And they are ok in my book - if only for that reason. OTOH - when it comes to Catholics - many fundamental Christians - including Baptists - don't like them at all. For reasons I as a Jew don't understand.

Note that my husband is Christian - raised Episcopalian (non-practicing now). His side of the family is various "shades" of Christian - ranging from (mostly lapsed) Catholic to Baptist. Most are pretty ignorant about the differences between Catholics and Protestants. I have a niece who is married to a Baptist preacher who didn't know the difference between Catholics and Protestants before I told her. One thing I find curious about Christians - even a lot of Catholics - is their willingness to change "flavors" to fit in when they move to new places. Many people in my husband's family have done that - just to be "socially acceptable" in their new homes.

In any event - apart from the religious history - the issue in terms of moving is kind of fitting into a place where you move. Assuming you're not willing to change who you are simply to fit in. My husband and I - with our mixed marriage - have never fit in in most except totally secular places. And it's not only places of worship I'm talking about. It's also golf/tennis clubs that discriminate against Jews - or the Jewish clubs that pop up for Jews when they're not accepted elsewhere. I'm not welcome in the former - my husband isn't welcome in the latter. I've always been happy with the golf/tennis clubs here in PVB. Because they're what I call "real estate" clubs. You pay your money - you're a member. Not at all like Miami (which is one reason we left Miami). But - since a lot of activities in this area revolve around religion - we are still kind of loners (we get tons of invitations to fundraisers - but not many people are interested in us except when it comes to fundraising - with some curious exceptions). Robyn

Old 11-05-2015, 02:37 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,571,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You know some of the history [...] still kind of loners (we get tons of invitations to fundraisers - but not many people are interested in us except when it comes to fundraising - with some curious exceptions). Robyn
I went to a small private college in NJ, supported by the Lutheran church. It closed in the late 1990s. But anyway. I had a work-study job in the financial aid office, the director of scholarship funding said in a meeting we need more Jews and Episcopalians, they have the money for donating.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I went to a small private college in NJ, supported by the Lutheran church. It closed in the late 1990s. But anyway. I had a work-study job in the financial aid office, the director of scholarship funding said in a meeting we need more Jews and Episcopalians, they have the money for donating.
Reminds me of the old saying:

"Jews earn like Episcopalians, and vote like Puerto Ricans."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Himmelfarb

Robyn

Old 11-09-2015, 06:12 AM

46 posts, read 59,515 times
I thought this thread was about OP? Somehow it got high jacked to religion.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:35 AM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by URYwood View Post
I thought this thread was about OP? Somehow it got high jacked to religion.
A certain member is back, she will hijack every thread. And when I say every thread I mean literally every thread.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:18 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
A certain member is back, she will hijack every thread. And when I say every thread I mean literally every thread.
Damn you're not kidding, I guess bingo was cancelled...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville