Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:34 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,554,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

And I guess what puzzles me most is why people talk about me - and not more about JAX and the metro area. Is it perhaps because most people are just wrapped up in their day-to-day lives - and don't get out more? When we first moved here - many people who live here (in PVB) would proudly announce that they never "crossed the ditch". Which I always thought was a ridiculous POV. They all sounded like they were ready for nursing homes (even if they were 35). I think there are those of us here - myself included - who have a healthy curiosity about where we live - and our area of interest extends beyond our little neighborhoods. We explore the area when we get a chance. We read about it too. Why are there only about 10 people active in the current "Everbank" thread - and not 50+? I think downtown development affects the quality of life for all of us in the metro area. And - when I asked a rhetorical question about whether some posters in this thread had ever been in OP - the response I got was deafening silence. I suspect the majority of posters in this forum who don't live in OP have never been to OP. Anyway - let's get back to talking about Florida - not me. Robyn

Whenever I even visit a place I like to learn a little about it and explore, even if it is just looking at a map or reading a short history from a tourist pamphlet. I am amazed that people can live in an area for their whole lives and know nothing about the next county over. If you actually move to a place, do some cursory research, really easy with the computer, you can even start with wikipedia articles.

The "we don't cross the ditch" mentality really grates my nerves. I love the beach, I grew up on the beach, I was a local; but my goodness I knew what was on the other side of the county. And then the same people that don't cross the ditch complain that Jacksonville "isn't diverse enough" or "not as exciting as xxx", " there is no culture", " there is nothing to do here" or the "folks in xxx are so uncosmopolitan"

Get out explore where you live!! What you are looking for may be right across town in an unexpected place, that your neighbor warned you about going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 05:49 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,386,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
...Get out explore where you live!! What you are looking for may be right across town in an unexpected place, that your neighbor warned you about going.
Couldn't agree more. I used to spend more time in Clay County when I was younger and active in women's league tennis. But we still try to get to the Clay County Fair every year (it's the best in the metro area IMO). Too bad Dave's day lily place over in Green Cove Springs is now closed (Dave got old and sick). It was one of my favorite metro area nurseries (and I still have some of his pretty exotic cultivars). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville