Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 11:17 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,657,132 times

Advertisements

Jacksonville would be great were it not for the traffic and sprawl. If you can manage to arrange your life without a horrible commute life could be sweet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 12:26 PM

9,280 posts, read 8,189,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Jacksonville would be great were it not for the traffic and sprawl. If you can manage to arrange your life without a horrible commute life could be sweet...
I've lived in a few big cities and I'm here to tell you there is horrible traffic everywhere. At least for the most part Florida has well maintained roads and infrastructure here. I've seen far, far worse.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:49 PM

102 posts, read 184,435 times
Jax is a beautiful place to raise and start having family. I came/drove from upstate NY. Took me 2 days. The trip was okay bc of the long distance and a lone. I had too much complaints in the first week or so but after that everything became normal. I live on Beach Blvd and I believe it's the most attractive/energetic area in jax in my opinion. From my perspective, people are very friendly comparing to other places. I think I made a great decision so far.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:49 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,075,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Sprawl? Yes. Traffic??? No way. It's a breeze compared to similar cities, although I'm the type to wish the traffic was worse and the public transit better, lol. Right now, because of major construction, the interstates near downtown are pretty rough but when the project is over it will be amazing. (For five years til they start the next wave of construction upgrades)

Old 09-25-2015, 06:36 AM

294 posts, read 338,172 times
I agree with the comments on the not so bad traffic. I travel 18 miles from the beach to NW Jacksonville and in over 3 years there has been around 5 times where I would say traffic was bad. I do travel early in the morning but on rush hour in the evening. There might be a lot of vehicles on the roads (what some consider traffic) but movement (which is my definition for traffic) always seems to be flowing quite nicely.

This is a great city. We moved from central NY but are from the Midwest. Jacksonville offers so much. I am glad we relocated here and my daughter was born here. Hope to stay a while longer!

Old 09-26-2015, 12:36 PM

15 posts, read 70,825 times
Glad to hear all of that! Funny you mentioned Maui.... I live there now (for a year and a half, lived Big Island 3 years). Originally from North Carolina. Loved atmosphere of Big Island, can't stand Maui, now looking into Florida for an area that is much more affordable (in Kihei, on Maui, it takes roughly $500-600K to buy a decent house, small condos in noisy complexes are around $250-350) but still offers a bit of diving and some other outdoor activities. Jacksonville, Gainesville, and Tallahassee have all come on my list.

Mahalo

Alex

Old 09-26-2015, 01:16 PM

375 posts, read 441,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salegoi1 View Post
Glad to hear all of that! Funny you mentioned Maui.... I live there now (for a year and a half, lived Big Island 3 years). Originally from North Carolina. Loved atmosphere of Big Island, can't stand Maui, now looking into Florida for an area that is much more affordable (in Kihei, on Maui, it takes roughly $500-600K to buy a decent house, small condos in noisy complexes are around $250-350) but still offers a bit of diving and some other outdoor activities. Jacksonville, Gainesville, and Tallahassee have all come on my list.

Mahalo

Alex
He lived in Lahaina. Loved the tropical weather and such but the natives were not happy with non natives and as you said, was stupid expensive. The neighborhood he was in looked like it was built in the 40's or 50's, small block houses that had been chopped up into 6 bedrooms with 2 baths and 1 Kitchen and was $600 a month per person.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:47 AM

8,886 posts, read 20,262,668 times
We've lived here since Jan '09 and seen a BIG population and traffic increase. We're not "beach goers" nearly as much as we thought we'd be. We really didn't miss the beach when we lived in Denver, CO/south or north of Charlotte, NC. Heck, when we lived in So Calif./Orange County, we didn't even go to the beach that much. For us, boating was much easier on the two lakes/reservoirs we went on south of Denver, than here. We've been thru two USCGA Boating classes and still don't know what the heck we are looking at (signs/buoys) on the St. John's River or Intracoastal (the one time we were on the Intracoastal).
Don't get me wrong, Jax and Jax Beach are nice, especially the Town Center, The Avenues and when the Opening of the Beaches Parade happens, but just not for us anymore. And, yes, had to get use to the humidity, lizards and water bugs. The water bugs look like gigantic cockroaches! We don't find it nearly as friendly as when we lived in south Denver, CO, but then again, we are in our mid 60's now and basically the younger generation doesn't want to talk to us at all and people our age act much older than we do.
We've been from Jax to the Keys and have found out that Florida just isn't our thing. We miss the Elk "rut" in RMNP, rodeo's and other things that we had in Denver. After wife retires, shortly, we will be out of here.
Before anyone says "what about the winters in Denver?", I will say...........we will both be retired when we move back. Much better than working in the winters there.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:20 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,732,058 times
On my way- house under contract & closing soon- then driving to JAX. Looking to live in the inter-coastal area- the beaches a little pricey. Ready to get back to "summer" weather as I am in a sweatshirt typing this. Love the town.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:39 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,075,793 times
It's not really summer weather, but it is perfect weather imo. Then again, maybe this IS summer weather for folks in MN and MI lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville