Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:42 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,936,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
And apvb, I'm sure you can find wonderul homes in Glen Kernan, since the homes start at 1$M. But I'll take my crappy home in Mandarin, thank you very much.
whatever floats your boat!

the op stated that there no nice developer built homes, I don't agree and pointed out examples. No need to get testy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:41 AM

227 posts, read 967,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
How much more expensive is concrete in comparison to brick? For equal square footage, etc? And are we thinking of the same type of house? I am not necessarily thinking of concrete block as much as I am thinking of poured concrete with a stucco(?) facade. Purely hispanic/mediterranean sytle. I am not thinking of anything where I can see the mortar in between the blocks....like the gym of an elementary school. Are we on the same page? Are there concrete homes and concrete block homes?
You can get the look you are describing with wood, block or poured concrete. And yes, there is a difference between concrete block and poured concrete. There are a lot of mediterranean style homes in Jacksonville with the stucco and taracotta that are wood frame. The smooth look of the stucco is independent of the frame. They take a mesh system and put it on the outside of the frame (block, wood, concrete) and then trowel on the stucco.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:41 AM

81 posts, read 323,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
whatever floats your boat!

the op stated that there no nice developer built homes, I don't agree and pointed out examples. No need to get testy
That was me, not the OP, who stated there weren't any nice developer built homes. I was referring to visually pleasing and inspiring designs, not merely expensive. It's all a matter of taste, I guess.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Where specifically in WGV are these homes, I'm curious?
I don't live down there so it's hard to describe. There also may be more than one community pool area so my directions may be crap. Here we go. From 95 take the main road in. Go all the way down until there is a community pool area on the left. Go into the neighborhoods on the right (north). When you drive around you will see a couple of communities that are as described. The homes are painted in a variety of colors and some of them have brick facade on the front only. There is also one on the south side of the main road to the right (west) after you turn in by the community pool area.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:17 PM

541 posts, read 2,278,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in JAX View Post
You can get the look you are describing with wood, block or poured concrete. And yes, there is a difference between concrete block and poured concrete. There are a lot of mediterranean style homes in Jacksonville with the stucco and taracotta that are wood frame. The smooth look of the stucco is independent of the frame. They take a mesh system and put it on the outside of the frame (block, wood, concrete) and then trowel on the stucco.
Wow, I would not have guessed that the stucco homes would have a wood frame. But, yeah that makes sense.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,960 times
Quote:
I don't live down there so it's hard to describe. There also may be more than one community pool area so my directions may be crap. Here we go. From 95 take the main road in. Go all the way down until there is a community pool area on the left. Go into the neighborhoods on the right (north). When you drive around you will see a couple of communities that are as described. The homes are painted in a variety of colors and some of them have brick facade on the front only. There is also one on the south side of the main road to the right (west) after you turn in by the community pool area.
Quote:
There are several of these newer communities in World Golf Village. Small, woodframe, hardyplank, one car garage homes.
When we post information like this with such authority it needs to be accurate considering that people will often include it in their research or pass it along to a house-hunter in the market, as I did. The fact is to our knowledge there is not a single one-car garage home like you described (except Samara Lakes) in the area you described. Notice that I said "to our knowledge" because I rely on feedback from folks like you and I still give you the benefit of the doubt.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:57 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,009,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
How much more expensive is concrete in comparison to brick? For equal square footage, etc? And are we thinking of the same type of house? I am not necessarily thinking of concrete block as much as I am thinking of poured concrete with a stucco(?) facade. Purely hispanic/mediterranean sytle. I am not thinking of anything where I can see the mortar in between the blocks....like the gym of an elementary school. Are we on the same page? Are there concrete homes and concrete block homes?

And why does Tampa require concrete block?
It's a little hard to say exactly how much more a CB home would cost, but if I was doing a market analysis, I would give an extra $5/sq ft for CB and $4/sf for solid brick.

As for poured vs CB, I really haven't seen very many poured concrete homes. The "mediterranean" style you refer to, most that I have seen are CB, with stucco or plaster overlay. I had plaster over my home in Tampa (it was built in 1973), with plaster walls inside. Actually, I'm just guessing it was plaster on the outside. But you couldn't see the block.

The reason it is code in Tampa I believe has to do with the hurricane factor. CB is required only on the first floor, so you see a lot of two stories with wood frame on the second floor.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:04 PM

315 posts, read 759,122 times
It's the same here in northern florida it's like all they build are super small homes? I mean I know our city doesn't hav emany wealthy people but these small homes are like a total insult because you can barely fit anything in them nowdays since everyhone has more stuff.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
When we post information like this with such authority it needs to be accurate considering that people will often include it in their research or pass it along to a house-hunter in the market, as I did. The fact is to our knowledge there is not a single one-car garage home like you described (except Samara Lakes) in the area you described. Notice that I said "to our knowledge" because I rely on feedback from folks like you and I still give you the benefit of the doubt.
Moderator cut: edit. I was working from memory from neighborhoods I have seen in my personal home search. I can't exactly get up and drive down there in the middle of the day. Yes there are several neighborhood like that in northern St. Johns County. It's not a criticism of the area. But there is just a wide variety of homes in that area. It's like when I posted that there is a poured concrete home being built in San Jose. I can't tell you the street, but I saw it this weekend.

Last edited by riveree; 02-02-2008 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 01-31-2008, 04:54 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,960 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: edit. I was working from memory from neighborhoods I have seen in my personal home search. I can't exactly get up and drive down there in the middle of the day. Yes there are several neighborhood like that in northern St. Johns County. It's not a criticism of the area. But there is just a wide variety of homes in that area. It's like when I posted that there is a poured concrete home being built in San Jose. I can't tell you the street, but I saw it this weekend.
I wonder who deserves that label other than a person who pretends to be a big know-it-all, only to misinform people who rely on this forum for factual information. If you don't know what you are talking about or don't remember the least you could do is stand aside and let someone else do the informing. There are people in this market who are in search of low-budget, affordable homes and don't need to be misled in order to satisfy your pretext as an authority.

Last edited by riveree; 02-02-2008 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: see above edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville