Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 11:13 PM

140 posts, read 168,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtraininjax View Post
The beaches are what you make of it. You can walk your dog on Atlantic Beach, on leash, between 9 AM and 5 PM daily, its the only beach in Jacksonville that allows this, so its a great option. The beach area is a fun, exciting place, but no one makes you go out, if you do not want to do so, but it is full of young people, so its a great place for young people to meet and engage with one another.

To be 29 and have choices ahead of you, choose the beach, and then you can be the envy of all your intown friends!

That's awesome!

However I can't find any apartments on my price range in the beach areas.... Worst case scenario I could just commute there...

Should I stay away from the apartments that are on arlington expressway? They are super cheap with all kinds of amenities..

If yes, I already found two apartments that I am willing to pay for on the south side.. One is on San Jose area and the other one is a little south of that, they look nice in the pictures... What do you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

There's a high end steakhouse opening in spring of next year in downtown Jax that aims to be the flagship restaurant for the city.

Wow that's crazy because that's exactly when I am planning to move (around march) if everything goes by the plan and I really pray to God that it will! I cannot explain how much I am done with this place...

Old 11-22-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Yes - a fair number of people from Bosnia (the crew that put in the footers in our house was 100% from Bosnia). I have also run across a fair number of people from Albania and other countries in eastern Europe working as medical technicians at the Mayo Clinic.

In all honesty Jada - I don't think you will have a problem with any "locals" here. On the other hand - when it comes to people from eastern Europe - well there are some from some parts who probably don't get along with some from other parts in terms of religious and other cultural differences. But I don't think (m)any of us who were born in the United States really know or understand these differences. To the extent that they exist here - it will be something you will have to explore yourself.

If I were 29 and single - I'd head to the Beaches. Period. Assuming the commute to work wasn't too long. Robyn

You are absolutely right Robyn ! Deep down I knew I wouldn't have any problems with the locals ... 99% of my friends here are Americans anyway... I just ran into some trash talk on here and on some other forums that how people were redneck, ignorant and how Jacksonville didn't feel like Florida etc. Which I have never truly believed in but cant deny the fact that i did want to ask that around to just to make sure lol.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
It would be more logical to reside in the east Arlington area than it would be the south side area and commute to the beach everyday. It would be even more practical to live on the beach side of the ICW just west of Penman Rd. where the homes are priced less than the east side of Penman Rd.
I am kind of confused with the apartment hunt too... I use multiple apartment websites and you either have lots of apartment complexes with pools, gyms, business centers and great scenery in arlington area that are super cheap or you have the medium expensive apartments on the south side with zero amenities (the ones that I can afford) or you have super luxurios apartments in the rest of the city which I really can't afford.

I am willing to go downsize and get a studio apartment down there because I am planning to spend more time outdoors and have more money to do cool things . Here I have a big apartment and lots of furniture, big TV etc but I am not happy & I am not bringing any of it with me besides my paintings and candles and few other stuff.

If I do end up in an apartment with no amenities , are there couple good public swimming pools on the south side that I can go during crazy summers? Thank you in advance

Old 11-23-2015, 07:16 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada_yel View Post
are there couple good public swimming pools on the south side that I can go during crazy summers?
Most of the public high schools have pools that are open to the public during the summer months. On the south side, this would include Englewood, Wolfson, Sandalwood and Terry Parker high schools.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:56 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Mandarin High School does the same with their pool.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:52 AM

294 posts, read 340,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
Most of the public high schools have pools that are open to the public during the summer months. On the south side, this would include Englewood, Wolfson, Sandalwood and Terry Parker high schools.
Fletcher in Nep Beach

Old 11-23-2015, 11:37 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsch View Post
Fletcher in Nep Beach
I would have included Fletcher, but it's on the beach side of the ditch not the south side.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:55 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada_yel View Post
I am kind of confused with the apartment hunt too... I use multiple apartment websites and you either have lots of apartment complexes with pools, gyms, business centers and great scenery in arlington area that are super cheap or you have the medium expensive apartments on the south side with zero amenities (the ones that I can afford) or you have super luxurios apartments in the rest of the city which I really can't afford.
That's because those complexes in Arlington are in the bad part of arlington (to the west). There's a very key distinction between Arlington (Old Arlington and Regency area) vs East Arlington. I would suggest staying east of I-295.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
That's because those complexes in Arlington are in the bad part of arlington (to the west). There's a very key distinction between Arlington (Old Arlington and Regency area) vs East Arlington. I would suggest staying east of I-295.
Word.

I am meeting one of my managers tomorrow, She was born and raised in south Georgia, she has lots of connections in Jax area she said... If those jobs she will mention are on the beach then I am gonna go ahead with the Sandalwood area, if not then I will stick to the south side! I am super excited. Thanks everyone so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville