Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 08:10 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
What would be the charge, exactly??? Discharing a bb gun? Give me a break.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 04:48 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
There's no cruelty if your dirty feline is on my property. You should be the one charged for cruelty to animals for allowing a domesticated house cat to roam around free. Or at a minimum you're just a clueless, crappy neighbor.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:50 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I don't like cats. I hate when they use my garden as a litter box. I hate when they go after wild birds in my yard. I don't like that they drive my dogs insane. But - I would never in a million years consider harming a cat. Not with high pressure water. Not with a BB gun. Certainly not with a firearm.

Seriously, there is something wrong with some of you people. Maybe up your meds a little.
You're right. Next time I'll sit down with the cat and ask them nicely to please go home and stay out of my yard.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:48 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
State law trumps local ordinance WRT discharging a firearm on private property.

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
I don't think the law you linked as is clear when it comes to the "discharge" of firearms as the AG thinks.

Also - I suspect that shooting various animals might run afoul of animal cruelty laws - hunting laws - protected species laws - etc. Even if you have a right to discharge a firearm - it doesn't mean you have a right to shoot your spouse - no matter how much he or she might provoke you . Robyn

Old 12-27-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I don't like cats. I hate when they use my garden as a litter box. I hate when they go after wild birds in my yard. I don't like that they drive my dogs insane. But - I would never in a million years consider harming a cat. Not with high pressure water. Not with a BB gun. Certainly not with a firearm.

Seriously, there is something wrong with some of you people. Maybe up your meds a little.
Wouldn't you do anything to stop the cats if you actually saw them going after the birds or other animals? FWIW - if I see deer munching in my garden - all I have to do is go outside - make a little noise - and they'll run away. Cats need a little more persuasion. Robyn

Old 12-27-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Animals feel pain. It's not their fault if humans are irresponsible. They can't breed if people neuter them. That would solve the feral cat problem, not shooting helpless animals. I wish they'd pass laws that would fine people who have pets that have not been neutered. The shelters are overflowing with dogs and cats waiting to be adopted.

Barking dogs drive me crazy. I've posted about this problem numerous times. However, they're barking for a reason and it's the irresponsible owners' responsibility. Wish we could shoot them.
Is it easy or hard to teach a dog not to bark? I really don't know. I have been pretty lucky in terms of barking dogs. But - to the extent I haven't been lucky - well they drive me nuts too. A previous next door neighbor bred her Great Danes (illegally - for commercial purposes) and gave the litters the run of her screened back porch. The noise (and smell) were pretty awful.

Neutering existing cats won't do anything to eliminate feral cat populations as long as people keep abandoning cats. They will still be a threat to native wildlife:

Feral cats: Problems extend to wildlife species, ecologists say

Robyn

Old 12-27-2015, 08:40 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
For what it's worth, I'm not an advocate for the unnecessary harming or killing of animals. I'm merely commenting on the mention of legalities regarding firearm use on private property.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:57 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
No need to harm an animal.....use a paintball gun for larger animals and for cats buy one of those motion sensitive attachments for your garden hose and install it at ground level.We use one up north to chase the geese away and it works quite well.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:00 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
There's no cruelty if your dirty feline is on my property. You should be the one charged for cruelty to animals for allowing a domesticated house cat to roam around free. Or at a minimum you're just a clueless, crappy neighbor.
I don't have any pets. Thanks for your kind comments.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
I don't have any pets. Thanks for your kind comments.
I have cats on my property all the time. Do they kill birds, yes as that is ... natural to them. Killing the cat is no different than the cat killing a bird, except the cat eats it and it is natural. For people it is stupid and cruel and indicates more about the person than the cat, and what it says is not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville