Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:29 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,768,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I never thought of Nease (which is where my friend's daughter went) as being that exclusive . Robyn
I think she was referring to Bolles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:08 AM

137 posts, read 175,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Which schools are the "southern Ivys", and good private colleges in the southeast?

And what is the Bolles reputation? Mostly a sports oriented prep school? (I think that is the reputation in FL).
LOL, I guess Vanderbilt, Emory, Duke and the Virginia schools UVA, William and Mary maybe New College of Florida. I don't know I just got here, thought the prep school was going to enlighten me. My only personal requirement for my kids college is that it teaches them how to have a successful career in something they can tolerate for the rest of their lives. UVA would be nice because it is a family legacy school but it is pricey.

As for Bolles, this is a public forum and I don't want to upset anyone so how is "possibly creates an unnecessary competitive atmosphere".

Old 01-26-2016, 01:08 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,553,808 times
Quote:
I never thought of Nease (which is where my friend's daughter went) as being that exclusive . Robyn

I mean private schools, like Bolles or Episcopal. I worked for a guy who sent his grandson to Providence School in Jax( in my mind not on the same level as Bolles or Episcopal) but private none the less and the Bible thumper types like it. He told me and another coworker that there is not a drug problem there because of the church affiliation; my coworker and I just looked as each other because we know people who went to the best schools, come from good families and they are/were not only users but sellers of drugs... they didnt need to money

Old 01-26-2016, 01:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,333,495 times
The Southern IVY League schools are considered to be ... Duke, Rice, Georgetown, Emory, Washington & Lee, Vanderbilt, Davidson, William & Mary, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, UVA, University of Richmond, UNC-Chapel Hill, New College of Florida.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:15 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
From google -
Cornell has 21,850 students
UF has 51,725 students

Agree UF is competitive (attracts many competitive out of state students that want to go to college in FL!)...but Cornell has gotten more competitive also.
Big and bigger. I don't think it makes much of a difference if a class has 150 kids or 300. Large classes are pretty common at many schools these days - especially when it comes to introductory/required courses for freshmen and sophomores. I don't recall having any small seminar type classes as an undergraduate until I was a junior/senior. And even my law school class was large - 600 students. With the class being broken up into 3 or 4 sections (can't remember) for the required 1L courses. So I had large class sizes there too.

Note that I am not sure that large classes are a problem or that small classes are always better. That has obviously been a controversial issue when it comes to Florida elementary/middle/high schools:

After a dozen years, Florida class-size foes may finally prevail | Tampa Bay Times

Robyn

Old 01-27-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I mean private schools, like Bolles or Episcopal. I worked for a guy who sent his grandson to Providence School in Jax( in my mind not on the same level as Bolles or Episcopal) but private none the less and the Bible thumper types like it. He told me and another coworker that there is not a drug problem there because of the church affiliation; my coworker and I just looked as each other because we know people who went to the best schools, come from good families and they are/were not only users but sellers of drugs... they didnt need to money
Funny you mention Providence. A while back we took a field trip down to a few Tour De Farm stops in SJC. Had lunch at Woodpecker's - a new place - pretty good:

Woodpecker

In any event - we shared one of the big tables there with a husband and wife and their obviously adopted (Chinese) daughter. The guy had been a public high school teacher in Duval County . And he had moved to SJC for the school system. But then - after he moved - he got a job offer at Providence - which came with an offer of free tuition for his daughter at Providence. And he didn't think twice before choosing Providence over the schools in SJC. One thing he mentioned was he had more latitude at a private school like Providence to develop his own curriculum - as opposed to teaching according to a curriculum formulated by others.

The little girl was about 8. We chatted with her for a while - and she was great/delightful/intelligent. These people didn't seem like "bible-thumpers" to me. But - even if they were - perhaps it isn't such a bad thing? There has always been a controversy about whether religious schools - especially Catholic schools - produce better students. And - if yes - why. Robyn

Old 01-27-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmom2011 View Post
...As for Bolles, this is a public forum and I don't want to upset anyone so how is "possibly creates an unnecessary competitive atmosphere".
What's wrong with competition?

FWIW - one area where Bolles has an international reputation is its swimming program. Which - at the higher levels - is extremely competitive (we're talking about kids who are training for the Olympics). Is that a bad thing? There are just some aspects of life that are competitive. Where there are winners and losers. It's something that kids have to learn about/deal with so they're prepared to cope with the real world. Robyn

Old 01-27-2016, 10:07 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,768,494 times
Sure, many would choose private if tuition were FREE!

Religious schooling is personal preference. The people I know at Providence are christian/religious (the theme on their website is "Boldly Christian, Unquestionably Academic"). Interestingly though, no mention of where their students attend college (except the athletes). Lots of mention of God.

Many prep schools do not issue class rank (I don't know if Bolles does or not) because they say ALL students there are smart (they got in and did the work) and class rank was causing problems with college admissions (ie the "top 10%" factor"). Since their goal is to get all of their students into excellent colleges, they don't want to disclose the rank.

I sat next to a parent whose daughter was at a top prep school at a banquet...I remember him saying the MAIN value to prep school is the college placement. You can get an excellent education at a top public school if you take the top courses -- and it's a more "real" environment (ie, mixed, diverse) and those kids learn more life skills that may help them in college (ie, it WILL be mixed in college). And the other thing, these days, is private schools do their own thing, and are not subjected to the standardized testing and politicization of education going on in today's public education environment (which is also resulting in more homeschooling). The prep schools offer the SAME AP courses as public high schools and they take the SAME AP exams. And I think the averages on those exams are very high at PVHS and Nease (IB) and Creekside and Bartram Trail etc. And Stanton and Paxon.

That said, not everyone at prep schools is rich or smarter than public school kids -- they just have parents willing to pay for private education.. Some are on scholarship. Some live in smaller houses in less expensive areas to afford tuition. College admissions officers know all this, and they like good public school kids too.

Last edited by snuffybear; 01-27-2016 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-01-2016, 08:44 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,553,808 times
Quote:
Funny you mention Providence. A while back we took a field trip down to a few Tour De Farm stops in SJC. Had lunch at Woodpecker's - a new place - pretty good:

Woodpecker

In any event - we shared one of the big tables there with a husband and wife and their obviously adopted (Chinese) daughter. The guy had been a public high school teacher in Duval County . And he had moved to SJC for the school system. But then - after he moved - he got a job offer at Providence - which came with an offer of free tuition for his daughter at Providence. And he didn't think twice before choosing Providence over the schools in SJC. One thing he mentioned was he had more latitude at a private school like Providence to develop his own curriculum - as opposed to teaching according to a curriculum formulated by others.

The little girl was about 8. We chatted with her for a while - and she was great/delightful/intelligent. These people didn't seem like "bible-thumpers" to me. But - even if they were - perhaps it isn't such a bad thing? There has always been a controversy about whether religious schools - especially Catholic schools - produce better students. And - if yes - why. Robyn
I dont have a problem with religious schools per se. As long as the students get a good education, however some of the more fundamentalist types have too much of a focus on the Bible and seriously lack in especially science ( no evolution, the world was created in 6 days etc) Not a problem at the Catholic of Episcopal schools

We know people who were "talked to" about having beer/wine in their buggy at Publix by a school administrator at a fundamentalist school. When my kids were in Catholic school a fundraiser for the PTA type group was a keg at the school carnival LOL.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:24 AM

454 posts, read 691,866 times
I think a big part of the SJC school system success is that families who are interested in education continue to move here. Kids do well not by how well the school is rated but how interested the family is in education.

I grew up in a small rural town in NC with schools that are now rated 2 out of 10. My parents really pushed education, and in retrospect it's funny to see the type of schools I grew up in compared to what my kids are doing now at their 10/10 SJC schools. At any rate, I like to think I turned out okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville