Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,825 times

Advertisements

Currently a resident of hot humid Saint Louis MO, I plan to move in the next few months to Florida. I'm looking at Jacksonville first. I've visited and found the gardens and beaches acceptable, and I can't afford extreme housing costs. I plan to continue my career path as a medical secretary for educational facility (now at Washington University School of Medicine). I want to know if the people are clicky (as in St. Louis) or friendly (natives and transplants warm easily to new good neighbors), as might be expected of a southern city might be expected.

Thanks for your views.

YomamaV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 04:44 PM

265 posts, read 994,069 times
Clepper,
Hello there I recently moved here from your neck of the woods. (Illinois side) I imagine you have read all of the posts about Jacksonville. I will compare it to the Lou. There really isn't the sports following here like there is in Saint Louis. It is a much more subdued community, "laid back" is how many describe it and I would agree. It is large in terms of land, it is a sprawling city with little or no public transportation. The people here have been very friendly. Your experience here will be completely dependent on the neighborhood you choose to move into. There are wonderful neighborhoods, safe, quiet and then there are others. There is nothing here that rivals Washington University excpet maybe the mayo clinic. When you are out running errands people are as friendly to you as you are to them. There are excpetions to every rule. The shopping here is adequate, the city does not draw entertainment like Saint Louis. There is a farmers market here much like Soulards but nowhere the amount of vendors. It is a very liveable city you just have to choose where you live wiesly. Knowing what I know now I would have still moved here but to another area of town. The big plus is this the weather is wonderful and it gets cool enough during the holidays to feel appropriate when putting up your Christmas tree.
You asked directly about neighbors being friendly and inviting. Everyone I have met really likes their neighbors and they have BBQ's and such but I won the crap lottery and ended up in an area that the neighbors aren't so nice. I came home today to find our neighbors kids on our roof. Walking around doing who knows what. It didn't faze me, its how its been since we have been here. The pay doesn't compare to Saint Louis but the cost of living is the same if not higher. I would give it a thumbs up. Just again choose wisely where you live.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,412 times
Well, you are from St. Louis - blues capitol of the world IMHO. Jacksonville does have a blues festival every year out at the beach.

Never heard anything so good as some divey little bar I went to a few years back in St. Louis to hear some local group. It was one of the best things I've ever done on a business trip.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
I came home today to find our neighbors kids on our roof. Walking around doing who knows what. It didn't faze me, its how its been since we have been here.
On your roof?? OMG! Those sure do sound like interesting neighbors!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:23 PM

20 posts, read 60,728 times
hello to all,

My husband and I are also intertaining the idea of moving to the Jacksonville area. We were vacationing in St. Augustine and drove around Ponta Vedra and Jacksonville.
I have a question for Lawstudent: you mentioned that one should be careful as to which area one chooses to live in. Can you please tell me which areas are good? We would be renting for a while, before we would purchase anything...
Also, what is the farmers market like? Any organic vendors? How many vendors would you say? Is Jacksonville a city that supports healthy living? Do you know if they have a cycling community? I like road biking...
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 PM

265 posts, read 994,069 times
Anitasum,

You can't take a drive during any weekend without crossing paths with cyclists here. Most all the roadways have a bike lane here and many people use them. It is not uncommon for us to see groups of ten or more riding together every weekend. As far as homes go I don't think you can go wrong with Ponte Vedra it seems to be a more upscale area. I think the choice of where you are going to settle is the biggest choice for this city. I am sure you have read the city covers over 800 square miles and included in that are many different kinds of neihborhoods. Renting to get a feel of the place is the best way to start here. After being here a year I am already tired of driving for a half hour to get anywhere but there are places in the city and ponte vedra that you could set yourself up to have all necessities nearby.
The farmers market is actually a pretty nice little set up and quite a savings for your produce. I cannot recall if there were any organic vendors. I would estimate the amount of vendors to be about 45 give or take as a rough estimate.
I do know that the locals are very excited about the addition of a whole foods market that should be here soon.
As far as healthy living its pretty good in the fact you can find what you need. My family includes some finicky eaters and vegatarians. Personally as I write this I am off of red meat and cheese and I am still alive. (barely)

As far as the biking, healthy living and beautiful weather it is all abundant here you just have to be willing to search it out. Hope this helps

River,
Yes on our roof I was aghast the first time I wanted to whip their A$$ but decided to bite my tongue and pray for the day we leave this subdivison. Then not long after we were sitting in our LR and they walked into our back yard in full site with a ladder and climbed up on the roof to get a ball. No knock, no asking, just went up on the roof. Later the neighbor said it was so nice that we don't yell at their kids the way the people before us did. I couldn't speak a word, I was flabbergasted. I wanted to commit many acts of violence but resorted to the fact our time here is limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville