Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,176 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the area with the main worksite in Orange Park.

How is the commute from the San Mateo area (or surrounding) to OP? The houses up there are cheaper and seem to have decent-ish schools. I read somewhere that Clay county residents can take their children to whatever school in Clay they want, is that the same for Duval? We are also looking at potentially renting the house when we leave or just resell and it appears that OP is fairing better in that regard. We are just not feeling the CDD's.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 04:57 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
It sounds like you already know you won't be here long-term? Military? That would add another layer to your upcoming relocation - yes, perhaps buying cheap now would make sense, but you'd have to think about resale value and/or rental potential when it's time to move on so that you wouldn't be saddled with the property. (i.e. are the properties you've seen more inexpensive because they are hard to sell?)

As for the commute, I wouldn't mind the trip from San Mateo to OP (NAS by chance?), but many would. It would mean 95 to 10 to 17 (with 17 the whole way as a not-great alternate or 295 all the way around as a longer alternate). I think most who work in OP would rather live closer and more conveniently located than San Mateo.

I'm not well-versed in school choice, so I can't comment about that ... hopefully some other members can.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:13 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
...I think most who work in OP would rather live closer and more conveniently located than San Mateo...
Agree. BTW - I had never heard of San Mateo before - had to look it up. Seems to be up near the airport. Robyn

Old 01-30-2016, 05:53 PM

375 posts, read 444,574 times
I have many friends who live in San Mateo. It is an older neighborhood with a lot of long time owners, second generation owners, and some rental property. It is close to shopping (River City Market Place) restaurants and theater.

The commute is doable, varying degree of congestion depending on the time you will be traveling. The earlier or later you leave during normal rush hours the better.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:11 AM

24 posts, read 29,417 times
How's the commute up to Brunswick, GA?

Old 02-25-2016, 06:49 PM

375 posts, read 444,574 times
From San Mateo? it is on the northside of Jacksonville and a about an hour drive straight up I95. During rush hour, most of the traffic will be going south so you shouldn't have a problem going north. Can't speak to when you get to Brunswick.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:15 PM

36 posts, read 41,584 times
San Mateo (the neighborhood I grew up in) to OP isn't a commute you could pay me to make. All Clay County neighborhoods don't have CDD fees. In fact, those fees are relatively new in Northeast Florida and you aren't likely to find them in neighborhoods that are older than 12 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville