U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:20 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,850,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
St Johns schools are on the decline? Can you provide evidence?

I don't need to. Stanton, Paxon, James Weldon Johson, Kirby Smith, Jax Beach Elementary....these are all top schools in Florida, which disputes your statement that there are no good schools in Duval County.

There are no St. Johns equivalents to these schools I've listed. If there are, the burden of proof is on you to provide evidence.

New schools will help with St. Johns County overcrowding

Being heavily involved in my children's educational process, I can tell you unequivocally that overcrowding causes the quality of education to suffer, no matter what district it's in. St. Johns county is not somehow immune from that simple cause and effect.

SS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 04:21 PM

8,379 posts, read 6,654,721 times
So cherry picking 5 schools out of nearly 200 in Duval proves what, exactly? That its a great school district? For every one of those I could produce 20 that are poorly rated. As a whole, SJC blows Duval out of the water in terms of overall school grades and ratings, there is no disputing that. As a parent who is heavily invested in my child's education I can tell you unequivocally that is the very reason we choose to live here in SJC vs Duval. New schools are being built as we speak here to help with overcrowding. But when you have the very best school district in the entire state people will decide to move here. Such is the price we pay.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:16 PM

19 posts, read 14,551 times
Well it seems like this thread has been hijacked by a my school is better than yours argument. Anyone else have suggestions on neighborhoods/areas/schools I should be looking at? Close to downtown Jacksonville, family friendly, good schools? I will probably be looking for a rental on craigslist so it's hard to tell what neighborhood those are in based on address. If anyone can tell me better parts of town that would be more beneficial. And if anyone has a different way to find rentals other than craigslist that would be great too.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:26 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,411,423 times
Boise's high schools are among the top ranked in the nation.

Boise high schools earn top rankings » Idaho Statesman Blogs

Ironic...one of my best friends recently moved his family from Florida to Boise because his job transferred him and he's making more money and feels like his kids are getting a better education.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:40 PM

9,443 posts, read 5,333,242 times
The main issue with Duval schools is that for the most part, it doesn't really embrace this idea that you should go to a neighborhood school and it should be good. It's all about "choice" and a lot of people "choose" to move out because they can't get into a magnet school or desirable Charter school. A lot of the schools mentioned above are great, but many are magnet schools. You can't just move to that neighborhood or go to that school (nor would you want to).

The better areas of Duval are the beaches or closer to that area (San Pablo/Hodges) or Mandarin, neither of which are going to get you near to downtown. At that point, St. Johns County or the Fleming Island area is not that much farther.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 PM

75 posts, read 95,319 times
I took a pay cut to move here from Connecticut but the lack of state taxes made up for it in my net pay. My car insurance did not increase that much but I am 8 miles from the beach-not sure if that made a difference or not. I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid and I pay $790 a year with AAA insurance. I was paying $700 a year in Connecticut.

My utilities are less than Connecticut and I have a larger house here. Then again, I have not had to pay electric through a hot summer yet but so far I have been pleasantly surprised. Also, my irrigation system is on a well and that makes a difference in my water bill.

I have found that groceries are the same, or a times a lot less, depending on the item. But, I do most of my grocery shopping at Walmart and sometimes use Publix which is higher (but such a nice shopping experience). An example is one of the large containers of Coffeemate liquid non dairy creamer was $4.50 in CT and it is $2.88 at Walmart.

Real estate taxes are definitely lower than Connecticut .

My commute to work downtown is less 30 minutes but I commute outside of rush hours. I live about 15 miles from downtown where my office is. I live in a neighborhood that has Chet's Creek Elementary School and my realtor said that people buy in this area strictly so that their kids to go to that school. I don't have school age kids so can't attest to if it really is that good.

So far, I like that I made the move and the weather and people are awesome! I hope some of this info helps.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:08 AM

308 posts, read 246,129 times
With respect to Duval schools vs St Johns schools...

There's more to this story. I actually attended Stanton, back when it was still 7th through 12th grades and you were invited to apply. Yes, you were invited to apply based on grades and standardized test scores, and not every application was accepted. I had siblings/cousins that were wait-listed. I do not believe that is the case any longer (anyone may apply now, and selection is partly based on a lottery system). It's not quite so exclusive now, and of the public schools it is still one of the best. But even with a handful of excellent magnet schools, not everyone will make into Stanton, or Paxton, or Douglas Anderson, etc. simply because these schools can only handle so many students.

What makes schools such as Stanton so successful is partly due to the fact that their student body comprises of very motivated students (or in a significant number of cases, motivated parents) and due in large part to parents being involved in their kids' education. In the case where students are not "cream of the crop," parental involvement is extremely important. By parent involvement, I do not exclusively mean those who volunteer to help with school-related programs; I'm talking about parents who encourage/push their kids to do well and provide them with plenty of support. And by support, I mean emotional, academic, and financial. It's that third category, though, that makes a huge difference in comparing St. Johns County schools with Duval County schools. Going off of just average sold price of homes, St. Johns County families tend to be better off financially. Of course, every parent wants the best education for their kids. But the economics for folks in St. Johns County makes it that much easier for parents to be involved. When parents have the financial means to choose between being part of a driving force that will improve a local school vs. joining an existing system of schools that already have that "force" in place, I am willing to bet most of them will choose the path of least resistance.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:25 AM

8,379 posts, read 6,654,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internallydeluded View Post
Well it seems like this thread has been hijacked by a my school is better than yours argument. Anyone else have suggestions on neighborhoods/areas/schools I should be looking at? Close to downtown Jacksonville, family friendly, good schools? I will probably be looking for a rental on craigslist so it's hard to tell what neighborhood those are in based on address. If anyone can tell me better parts of town that would be more beneficial. And if anyone has a different way to find rentals other than craigslist that would be great too.
Craigslist is full of scams, I've never seen so many ridiculous and obvious scams as I've seen in the Jacksonville and St Augustine Craigslist home rental sites. Huge 5 bed, 3 bath homes that look like they've been in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine in the best parts of town for $1,300 per month. Just beware that if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is.

I would recommend the other housing websites: Hotpads.com, Zillow (best), Trulia. There are still scams there but they are few and far between.

And BTW, no one was hijacking, you claim to be interested in areas with good schools so deciding on a good school district if you care about your child's education is critical when you move here because as has been stated repeatedly, there are some very poorly rated schools in Duval......other than the few that Shaken indicated above. We don't need to get into a lecture about parental involvement either, obviously more parental involvement can and likely will help your child to succeed.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:04 PM

308 posts, read 246,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Craigslist is full of scams, I've never seen so many ridiculous and obvious scams as I've seen in the Jacksonville and St Augustine Craigslist home rental sites. Huge 5 bed, 3 bath homes that look like they've been in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine in the best parts of town for $1,300 per month. Just beware that if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is.

I would recommend the other housing websites: Hotpads.com, Zillow (best), Trulia. There are still scams there but they are few and far between.

And BTW, no one was hijacking, you claim to be interested in areas with good schools so deciding on a good school district if you care about your child's education is critical when you move here because as has been stated repeatedly, there are some very poorly rated schools in Duval......other than the few that Shaken indicated above. We don't need to get into a lecture about parental involvement either, obviously more parental involvement can and likely will help your child to succeed.
My post did not clearly convey my point. In no way did I mean to lecture anyone on parental involvement. Of course everyone parent is going to want the best for their kids and do as much as they can to provide support. My point was that part of the reason why schools do poorly in Duval county is because many parents are not able to actually provide sufficient support (some because they are busy making ends meet with multiple jobs, others because they are the only parent, etc. -- but basically, because economics). I lived on the Westside, the beaches, Northside, Riverside, and Arlington. I have had my fair share of Jacksonville schools. My local high school would have been Andrew Jackson (one of the really poorly performing high schools) had I not attended Stanton. It's not that parents don't care -- it's that they already have their plates full and end up having to spread themselves thin. So when you choose where to live, and school is important, you should choose a place where there is already a strong support system rather than a place where you yourself have to be the main driver in implementing a strong support system, not just for your child but for yourself as a parent (and possibly other parents if you want the school as a whole to be successful). While Andrew Jackson has improved, it is a strong example of why the latter is a very difficult path.

State: Duval has lowest performing high school | jacksonville.com

Of the places I lived (and went to school), I would say the beaches were the best, except the drawback is possibly a long commute (not due to distance but due to traffic). The Northside is closer to downtown, but the schools there are generally poor performing. Riverside is a great neighborhood and has decent schools (but most are private and/or have religious affiliations, and definitely recommended for those who like the urban feel; your commute would be ridiculously short. Lots of young professionals and young families. You may also find San Marco to be to your liking (make sure you research flood zones). Your budget may mean you have to look extra hard for a spot in Riverside or San Marco (generally more expensive; and cheaper places tend to get leased quickly when I lived in Riverside). I had friends in San Marco who shared similar stories). The Westside is starting to see a lot more development so things may be quite different now (back in the day, their schools were also pretty bad; I attended Hyde Park which is now closed). Traffic from the west side into town is pretty crazy along I-10.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:20 PM

2,377 posts, read 3,850,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internallydeluded View Post

I apologize to both you and Florida2014.....

I simply grow weary of the perception that there are NO good schools in Duval County, which is almost statistically impossible based on the number of schools we have, and simply not true.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Florida2014 is a passionate poster who has firm beliefs, which I respect about him. Sometimes we clash but he's a good guy.

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville