Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:15 AM

16 posts, read 17,378 times

Advertisements

I know there have been multiple threads regarding Litestream in Palencia, but none very recent. It does sound like they have made improvements, but I work from home so reliable internet service is must. The builder (Standard Pacific) of the home we are interested in has informed us we are not obligated to take Litestream, but if we do, we are the locked into a contract. Does anyone have internet other than Litestream and love it? Or if you have Litestream, are you pleased? Also curious about cell service, I am coming from Texas with T-Mobile. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 03:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
We have had T-Mobile voice service for a long time and it seems to work pretty well in the metro area. OTOH - we use our current T-Mobile phone in a curious way. It's an LG "smart phone" that I bought for $49. We are grandfathered in on a per minute plan that costs us a big total of $10/year to keep it active. And if we make 5 calls on that phone a month - it's a lot. And we only use the data part of the phone with public wifi (which seems to be everywhere).

Don't know anything about Litestream internet (we have Comcast HSI and cable - which is IMO - except for the cost).

In all honesty - we are totally "connected" at home. But prefer to be somewhat disconnected when we leave the house. Robyn

Old 04-05-2016, 06:30 PM

11 posts, read 24,500 times
We are in a similar situation with our new house in Palencia scheduled to be move in ready the end of May. My wife and I work from home and fast reliable internet is a necessity. Couple that with the fact I am a NFL junkie and must have the Sunday Ticket through Direct TV, AT&T is most logical for me. I can bundle my cell, home telephone, tv and Internet together.

UVERSE will give me 40 MBPS or I can pay more for AT&T Giga Power service at 300 MBPS. Not sure if that much speed will benefit me enough for the price.

Moving from Massachusetts and can't wait to enjoy all that Florida has to offer

Old 04-05-2016, 06:57 PM

103 posts, read 187,939 times
I work from home and have Litestream. It's "generally" reliable but they have had a few rough months. When that happens it seems bad but I think our last outage was 3 months ago. The performance is good and price much lower than what I paid in Minnesota. AT&T is the alternative I think can't comment on them but i'll bet they go down from time to time.

Your realtor is right, if you opt in you are committed for a couple years. That said I work at home and have a small business that relies on access to the internet and i've been generally fine with Litestream despite that there have been outages. They are usually not long except for a few days where a fibre line was cut that serves much of the state.

Keep in mind they are small so when you call you are literally talking to the receptionist. That has pros and cons. But For about $120 per month I have fast internet and digital cable with DVR so I think that's pretty reasonable. We did ditch their old Motorola DVR for a Tivo Bolt and that was a huge improvement.

Good luck, you'll love Palencia

Old 04-08-2016, 02:36 PM

Thank you all so much for sharing your experience. Black&Gold, we have DirectTV here in Texas and are sports junkies too! Our biggest concern (other than internet connectivity for work) is being able to watch our San Antonio Spurs on NBA league pass and it look like Uverse, Directv and Litestream all offer it. Thanks for the well wishes, Beer234! We're excited about moving to Palencia! Robyn-I totally get the joy of being "disconnected" at times!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:53 AM

43 posts, read 58,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black & Gold View Post
We are in a similar situation with our new house in Palencia scheduled to be move in ready the end of May. My wife and I work from home and fast reliable internet is a necessity. Couple that with the fact I am a NFL junkie and must have the Sunday Ticket through Direct TV, AT&T is most logical for me. I can bundle my cell, home telephone, tv and Internet together.

UVERSE will give me 40 MBPS or I can pay more for AT&T Giga Power service at 300 MBPS. Not sure if that much speed will benefit me enough for the price.

Moving from Massachusetts and can't wait to enjoy all that Florida has to offer
I can't assist with the reliable internet as I have no experience with Litestream, but I might be able to offer a solution for your NFL needs if ATT is not available, or too pricey for others who want access to football on Sundays.

DirecTV is now offering a stand-alone NFL Sunday Ticket subscription without having to subscribe to the satellite or cable service. I cut the cord a few years ago and pay a small one-time fee (I think there was a special for $149) to access all the Sunday games on my Roku or AppleTV.

NFL Sunday Ticket Online Streaming | DIRECTV

Additionally, the NFL itself now offers a "Gamepass" that includes all sorts of extra features like NFL Network, archived game footage, the ability to watch multiple games at the same time, etc. The caveat with GamePass is that you have to wait for one minute after the game has ended before it's available to watch, so a 1:00 pm Jaguars game wouldn't be available until 4 pm. If you can stay off your computer/cell for three hours, the vale is tremendous -- there was a special for I think $49/season. The other option is to use a VPN to access the international Gamepass version which gives live access.

Sorry to deviate from the thread's purpose, just figured I'd share this info since you mentioned the NFL and there are now ways to get access without having to use ATT/DirecTV

Old 04-10-2016, 02:09 PM

11 posts, read 24,500 times
Thanks for the information on Direct TV but I was told that the only way to qualify for the Sunday ticket on Roku etc. is if you can not get a satellite feed because of line of sight, is this true?

Old 04-10-2016, 04:26 PM

43 posts, read 58,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black & Gold View Post
Thanks for the information on Direct TV but I was told that the only way to qualify for the Sunday ticket on Roku etc. is if you can not get a satellite feed because of line of sight, is this true?
That is a good question. I signed up for it this year and had no trouble, so it probably wouldn't hurt to do the same. Worst thing would be that you are in no better a position than today; best case, the system lets your address work and you get NFL games without needing the DirecTV service.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:51 AM

103 posts, read 187,939 times
Just FYI Litestream intenet and phone is down and has been all morning From my iphone attached to my Macbook Always have plan B with Litestream

Old 04-12-2016, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the heads up, it's sounding like maybe U-Verse is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville