Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:36 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,343 times

Advertisements

Most Stressful Metros:
10 most stressful metros (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/slideshow/38.html - broken link)

[10] Atlanta, GA
[9] Philadelphia, PA
[8] New York City, NY
[7] Memphis, TN
[6] Chicago, IL
[5] Los Angeles, CA
[4] Riverside-San Bernardino, CA
[3] Saint Louis, MO
[2] Cleveland, OH
[1] Detroit, MI

Least Stressful Metros:
10 least stressful metros (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/slideshow/39.html - broken link)

[10] Providence, RI
[9] Jacksonville, FL
[8] San Diego, CA
[7] Denver, CO
[6] Las Vegas, NV
[5] Austin, TX
[4] Oklahoma City, OK
[3] Phoenix, AZ
[2] Salt Lake City, UT
[1] Virginia Beach-Norfolk, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 08:37 PM

133 posts, read 526,853 times
Cool In my rush to comment...

I considered sending in my comments right away about Jacksonville. But then decided to have a glass of iced tea, and some pecan pie. Got into my music, and worked on the Trolley Car plan for the City. Before I knew it, the day was gone and I still hadn't commented... Too stressed out from just another laid back Jacksonville day... Thank God for JACKSONVILLE!

Ocklawaha

Old 02-15-2008, 04:21 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
Alrighty then ... now we have it - our "identity" (referencing another thread running) - Jacksonville: one of the top-ten stress-free metros in the USA. And it can't be denoted as stress-free because of claims there's nothing to do (other threads) -- look at the company we're keeping in the top ten.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:16 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,764 times
A Jacksonvillan Burma Shave Road Sign:

For Stress Free Living
You just can't beat
Jacksonville is #9
Isn't that neat!
...Jacksonville

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM

54 posts, read 233,380 times
I just moved from number 10, providence, who is also on the city miserable list. I must say that Jax has been MUCH less stressful so far. Providence is a pretty fast paced place with high income tax, with not a whole lot of jobs, so I am not sure how they made they list. Maybe they felt bad about the miserable list?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB4681 View Post
I just moved from number 10, providence, who is also on the city miserable list. I must say that Jax has been MUCH less stressful so far. Providence is a pretty fast paced place with high income tax, with not a whole lot of jobs, so I am not sure how they made they list. Maybe they felt bad about the miserable list?
I noticed that too. To tell you the truth, I am sick and tired of these polls and lists. Sometimes the polls will contradict each other. I don't know ... maybe it's the long election season but I'm up to my neck and choking on all these polls. I prefer to hear from people like you coming from Providence or wherever else and giving us your firsthand opinion.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:39 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Most Stressful Metros:
10 most stressful metros (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/slideshow/38.html - broken link)

[10] Atlanta, GA
[9] Philadelphia, PA
[8] New York City, NY
[7] Memphis, TN
[6] Chicago, IL
[5] Los Angeles, CA
[4] Riverside-San Bernardino, CA
[3] Saint Louis, MO
[2] Cleveland, OH
[1] Detroit, MI

Least Stressful Metros:
10 least stressful metros (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/slideshow/39.html - broken link)

[10] Providence, RI
[9] Jacksonville, FL
[8] San Diego, CA
[7] Denver, CO
[6] Las Vegas, NV
[5] Austin, TX
[4] Oklahoma City, OK
[3] Phoenix, AZ
[2] Salt Lake City, UT
[1] Virginia Beach-Norfolk, VA
I wouldn't put much validity in this analysis. Why isn't Washington/DC on the Most stressful? I think many of these cities are just arbitrary.

I lived in VA Beach/Hampton Roads and it is far from 'relaxing' It is more stressful than living here. There is the traffic everywhere and I don't think that the quality of life was that great to be number one. I agree that Salt Lake City is a great place to be and I would have put that at number one.

There are so many factors however that really make a place enjoyable. A small cross-sectional analysis like this one is not it.

Here is a link to a better 'model' for analysis but it is far from perfect:
Best Places to Live 2007 - Money Magazine

Old 02-19-2008, 07:28 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,410 times
I agree about Va Beach Norfolk area its far from relaxing.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:32 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
Welcome to Jax. For those of you from up north, it isn't stressful, but for those of us raised in the south, it is too many people all trying to do the same thing at the same time. The result is road rage. Oh, forgot, they don't have enough roads here. Maybe that is the reason for road rage? I can't wait to get out of here. 35 years ago it was truly an unstressed city, now, you can't tell us from Atlanta. OMG!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM

9 posts, read 20,920 times
I would add Toronto, ON among the list for most stressful, notwithstanding that it is in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville