Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgirl09524 View Post
Thankfully, one of my husbands daughters is going to take one of the 4 dogs so that will leave us with 3. I've been seeing more rentals that will take up to 3, which is great.

Runswithscissors, I will definitely take your advice and set up an appointment first. I have a great pic of the 3 of them that is cute and makes them look small.

Thanks all!
Good job. Before you move, if the dog isn't used to staying at the daughter's, take her there often and leave her for short periods working up to longer periods. Like leaving a kid in pre school for the first experience!

Don't make a fuss or talk in a sympathetic voice, that sounds like YOU are nervous. Be matter-of-fact about it, no ceremonial departures!

Hopefully, she's a dog person and knows what she's doing but if not, get periodic facetime or something so you can see the interactions and her adjustment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:51 PM

237 posts, read 496,537 times
I have had tenants with dogs that have done terrible damage to my rentals, but I still allow dogs, but it all depends on the overall qualifications of the person wanting to rent. I even have one tenant with 4 dogs and a cat.

I do screen over the phone and if I get this:

"It is for me and my wife and 3 kids and we are all unemployed plus our cousin his wife and 3 kids and 5 dogs" Then I am like I think not. The sad part is there is not a lot of hyperbole in there.

But if I get someone with great job(s), great rent reference, and great credit, I am more tolerant toward the dogs. But again it depends on the dogs. Are they 4 Pit bulls or 4 poodles. And it depends on what the previous landlord says. I charge a pet fee and I might up it for more pets depending on everything else.

And it depends on how many people I have inquiring about the property and want to rent it.

Bottom line is there is not single answer.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:08 AM

132 posts, read 173,945 times
Telling someone to get rid of there dogs is like saying, sell your children. Its not going to happen. My advice, offer a very large security pet deposit, find a place with tile floors and tell the landlords combined weight on your pups is about 40 pounds.
You must be a good dog owner though and pick up the poop and keep the place clean. Sounds like a single family house maybe in a more country area may be the best bet. Good Luck and don't sell your children

Old 06-26-2016, 07:03 AM

237 posts, read 496,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachangel View Post
Telling someone to get rid of there dogs is like saying, sell your children. Its not going to happen. My advice, offer a very large security pet deposit, find a place with tile floors and tell the landlords combined weight on your pups is about 40 pounds.
You must be a good dog owner though and pick up the poop and keep the place clean. Sounds like a single family house maybe in a more country area may be the best bet. Good Luck and don't sell your children
Let me tell you a little secret and it might be different for someone who is renting really high end properties, but my experience is most people with a lot of dogs who are renting are not looking to pay more pet fee they are trying to get out of paying the pet fee I have. The vast majority of the people I have had that have had lots of pets that want to rent my property are not the tenants I want. Badly qualified folks. My experience is great tenants with lots of pets is hard to find and a rare breed. Though I have had some, but it is like a 1 in 20 shot.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:25 AM

18 posts, read 38,091 times
Hi all,
Update for everyone: it was difficult to find a place to rent as many places had pet restrictions but we were successful! We found multiple places through creating various searches in Zillow, Realtor.com. While we were going to meet a realtor to look at another rental property, we were driving around a neighborhood and found another house for rent, and it ended up being the one we moved into. So for others who are discouraged by trying to find a place, know that it is possible, but it took us about a month to find the one for us. We ended up only having to pay a $200 pet fee for all dogs (gracious landlord). What we found is that there are still quite a few people who do not post rentals online, so if there are specific neighborhoods you are interested in, I would encourage you to drive around and look for For Rent signs and call on them. Good luck, it is possible!

Last edited by Yac; 12-09-2020 at 02:29 AM..

Old 02-25-2018, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yes. Get rid of 2 dogs.

Your best bet is to go through Zillow, Craigslist and find private owners who might be willing to allow that many dogs. It will probably be very difficult to find and you'll likely have to put up a large pet deposit. You might want to think about offering to pre-pay your monthly rent a bit to ease their concerns.
I disagree with the person who said "get rid of your dogs" - hopefully she was trying to be funny and her comment isn't as mean as it sounded. The answer likely depends on the size of your dogs. Many apartment buildings allow 2 pets, especially if they are small. A pet deposit is a given - always required but worth it if you're like me. I'd do anything to keep my dogs.

Last edited by Yac; 12-09-2020 at 02:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: