Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:18 AM

838 posts, read 1,876,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul313 View Post
Strange the 'sweet tea' thing. We just call it tea. One has to ask for unsweetened tea if one's taste run that way.
I was in Columbus, Ohio a couple of years ago. Stopped in a small restaurant with my cousin Susan. The waitress asked want we wanted to drink; Susan said "diet coke", I said "sweet tea". The waitress looked at me like I'd ordered battery acid. Susan said "he's from Florida".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 AM

7 posts, read 22,583 times
Hi ya'll! I currently live in Oklahoma and I'll be relocating to Jax Beach in a few months. 32 years in OKC is enough for me. I'm headin to the beach! I think it's awesome that I'll still be able to order sweet tea when I get there!!! I don't really have anything to add or ask, just a quick "howdy" and a "thank you" for all of the helpful info!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 9,047 times
Jacksonville is one of only two cities, along with Denver COlorado, in the United States to have a Jungle Quest! www.JungleQuest.net

And yes, I do work for Jungle Quest. It is great place to work! I get to play with kids on zip lines and climb a rock wall for work. What could be better??

Old 04-14-2009, 10:55 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
I was in Columbus, Ohio a couple of years ago. Stopped in a small restaurant with my cousin Susan. The waitress asked want we wanted to drink; Susan said "diet coke", I said "sweet tea". The waitress looked at me like I'd ordered battery acid. Susan said "he's from Florida".
Same thing happens when people order "Iced Tea" here.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound9p View Post
I would just like to say thank you for the reassuring information about Tastykakes at Publix. Life would not be the same without butterscotch Krimpets.
Publix in general is the place you're most likely to find some other region's regional specialties. My Midwestern self is pleased to note that my local one carries Veron's ginger ale, Faygo Redpop, Johnsonville brats and windmill cookies among other things.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:12 PM

266 posts, read 853,202 times
Vernors and Faygo! Are you from Michigan by chance? They are local specialties!

When my husband was working in Fort Myers for months on end, he saw that the local Publix had some Vernors set aside in their "special order" section. That is nice that they can do that!

What really makes me laugh when I travel is how beers like Labatt and Molson are considered "imports." Which, of course, they are! But in Michigan some of us like to pretend that we are honorary Canadians - making Labatt and Molson two of the major food groups. Whenever my husband gets home from working out-of-state he's really jonesing for Canadian beer. I, on the other hand, wish I could be down south drinking Yuengling instead!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Yeah. I grew up in Grand Rapids.

Now I just need to convince my local Publix to carry Winn Schuler's Bar-Scheeze. Apparently it is available in areas of Florida with a higher native Midwesterner concentration than what you get in the Panhandle.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:31 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Yeah. I grew up in Grand Rapids.

Now I just need to convince my local Publix to carry Winn Schuler's Bar-Scheeze. Apparently it is available in areas of Florida with a higher native Midwesterner concentration than what you get in the Panhandle.
Ask the manager of the Publix you shop at to order it for you.
They are really good about this. We have done this for a couple items.

When they stopped carrying Kahn's Hot dogs ( a favorite of my husband and mother-in-law) I asked the manager if he would order us a case,
took about 3 weeks, and he said we didn't have to take whole case just as many as we wanted. lol so we took 11 of the 12

Old 04-19-2009, 08:54 AM

23 posts, read 46,076 times
I'm late to this post, but alas... This is based on an email rounds many years ago... More than 10 things though and I've added stuff to it.

1. You must learn to say the city name correctly. It is usually referred to as "JAX".

2. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Jacksonville has its own version of traffic rules....the truck with the loudest exhaust goes next at a 4-way stop. The truck with the biggest tires goes after that. (Note: Blue haired ladies driving anything have right of way anytime.)

3. To find anything in Jax it is required that you know where the "Regency Square" is or the St Johns Town Center... which is the Alpha and Omega. The beginning and the end.

4. The morning rush hour is from 6:00 to 10:00. The evening rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:00. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

5. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended, cussed out and possibly shot.

6. Did you know that East Rd. meets West Rd. on Beach Blvd, but they run North and South.

7. You must know that "Normandy Boulevard", "State Road 228", "Cecil Field Road", "Maxville Road", and "Post Street" are the same road.

8. On the southeast side of town, "Hartley Road," "Shad Road," and "Hood Road," are the same road, too. Hartley Road is the western part of the road, and Shad Road is the eastern part of the road. Now don't be confused about this "Hood Road." This is the West-East part that is in between Hartley and Shad, not the North-South part that starts out as "Old Kings Road South", changes into "Hood Road South," and ends at Losco Road.

9. Construction is a permanent fixture in Jax. The barrels are moved around in the middle of the night to make the next days driving a bit more exciting.

10. Watch very carefully for road hazards such as deer, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, cows, horses, pot holes, cats, pieces of other cars, opossum, truck tires, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, and crows or vultures feeding on any of these items.

11. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been "accidentally activated" or just simply shoot them.

12. The minimum acceptable speed on "J Turner Butler Blvd" is 75 mph. Anything less is considered downright sissy. This is Florida's version of NASCAR.

13. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously.

14. If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 in a 55 zone ... you are considered a road hazard, and will be "flipped off" accordingly.

15. Ground clearance of at least 12 inches is recommended for city driving.

16. If it's 100 degrees and 100% humidty, Thanksgiving or Christmas must be next weekend.

17. People will call you "hun", they're generally not hitting on you. It's common, get used to it.

18. What you see downtown, is downtown. What you see is what you get.

19. Jax is one of the largest cities on the planet in total land area, as a result is ungodly spread out. 20-30 miles round trip for going to the store is the norm.

20. Jax plays host to some of the nation's worst drivers, and is in the top 10 for pedestrian fatalities and has one of the nation's highest road rage cases.

21. Avoid being outside after dark if at all possible. You'll make a great target for a gang.

22. The local news here is all doom-n-gloom. Even the weather guys are mostly clueless. Sports coverage is good.

23. We are a military city. With 2 navy bases. Don't talk crap about navy. Doing so will result in an ole fashioned corn-fed, country boy, backwoods, redneck, asswhoopin'.

24. Be armed and loaded at all times. Whether it be a mosquito (they get big here), gator or a gang member.

Thats all I have now...

Old 04-19-2009, 04:31 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGCJerry View Post
I'm late to this post, but alas... This is based on an email rounds many years ago... More than 10 things though and I've added stuff to it.

1. You must learn to say the city name correctly. It is usually referred to as "JAX".

2. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Jacksonville has its own version of traffic rules....the truck with the loudest exhaust goes next at a 4-way stop. The truck with the biggest tires goes after that. (Note: Blue haired ladies driving anything have right of way anytime.)

3. To find anything in Jax it is required that you know where the "Regency Square" is or the St Johns Town Center... which is the Alpha and Omega. The beginning and the end.

4. The morning rush hour is from 6:00 to 10:00. The evening rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:00. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

5. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended, cussed out and possibly shot.

6. Did you know that East Rd. meets West Rd. on Beach Blvd, but they run North and South.

7. You must know that "Normandy Boulevard", "State Road 228", "Cecil Field Road", "Maxville Road", and "Post Street" are the same road.

8. On the southeast side of town, "Hartley Road," "Shad Road," and "Hood Road," are the same road, too. Hartley Road is the western part of the road, and Shad Road is the eastern part of the road. Now don't be confused about this "Hood Road." This is the West-East part that is in between Hartley and Shad, not the North-South part that starts out as "Old Kings Road South", changes into "Hood Road South," and ends at Losco Road.

9. Construction is a permanent fixture in Jax. The barrels are moved around in the middle of the night to make the next days driving a bit more exciting.

10. Watch very carefully for road hazards such as deer, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, cows, horses, pot holes, cats, pieces of other cars, opossum, truck tires, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, and crows or vultures feeding on any of these items.

11. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been "accidentally activated" or just simply shoot them.

12. The minimum acceptable speed on "J Turner Butler Blvd" is 75 mph. Anything less is considered downright sissy. This is Florida's version of NASCAR.

13. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously.

14. If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 in a 55 zone ... you are considered a road hazard, and will be "flipped off" accordingly.

15. Ground clearance of at least 12 inches is recommended for city driving.

16. If it's 100 degrees and 100% humidty, Thanksgiving or Christmas must be next weekend.

17. People will call you "hun", they're generally not hitting on you. It's common, get used to it.

18. What you see downtown, is downtown. What you see is what you get.

19. Jax is one of the largest cities on the planet in total land area, as a result is ungodly spread out. 20-30 miles round trip for going to the store is the norm.

20. Jax plays host to some of the nation's worst drivers, and is in the top 10 for pedestrian fatalities and has one of the nation's highest road rage cases.

21. Avoid being outside after dark if at all possible. You'll make a great target for a gang.

22. The local news here is all doom-n-gloom. Even the weather guys are mostly clueless. Sports coverage is good.

23. We are a military city. With 2 navy bases. Don't talk crap about navy. Doing so will result in an ole fashioned corn-fed, country boy, backwoods, redneck, asswhoopin'.

24. Be armed and loaded at all times. Whether it be a mosquito (they get big here), gator or a gang member.

Thats all I have now...

The ones I have highlighted are things I thought werent much of an issue. I HATE dealing with those. If it is truly an issue, then unfortunately I will cross Jax off of my list for good. I am a FL native, born and raised, got tired of what S FL and Central FL have become, and really JAX and NE FL were my only chance of sticking it out in FL. I'm pretty disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville