Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 11:58 PM

191 posts, read 230,560 times

Advertisements

I'm currently researching and brainstorming FL and specifically the "middle" area (Tampa, Orlando, etc) for a possible move in the near future.

Just out of curiosity I thought I would pop in here and ask how rentals and rents are in Jacksonville.

Compared to Tampa/Orlando is this place cheap? I'm a single guy w/ no kids, I don't need much other than cheap price (<= $1000 a month), working AC and that the area is "somewhat safe" (as in, VIOLENT crimes are low).

Any notable apartments in the city that are in good/safe areas and affordable? Any specific complexes I should check out?

I was just wondering about Jacksonville housing market, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 08:34 PM

308 posts, read 267,390 times
Use the crime map from the JSO to help you with figuring out where violent crimes have occurred. I am sure others here will chime in and be more explicit (there are also plenty of threads and references to crime if you have not had the chance to do any searches).

Jacksonville Sheriff's Office

Old 06-19-2016, 01:30 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
What do you want for under $1000...a one bedroom apt? If so, then you can afford tons of somewhat safe areas with working AC. You might even get into the popular/trendy areas and/or a really swanky unit with lots of amenities.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:59 PM

79 posts, read 95,981 times
I used to live in Laurel Pointe at 3000 Coronet Ln. Right by a K-mart. University Ave S and Beach Blvd. A decent number of drug dealers, hustlers, bums, and hoes in there. You WILL have neighbors asking you for things, various knocks on the door, your typical rude Floridians, and if youre new and you dont act focused or tell them to get lost they WILL put their hooks into you. Money, rides, you name it. (Because they are transporting drugs or making sales and would rather be inna car that iant theirs so they can deny it all. IF they stop you while they go and make the money.) Don't even bother getting annoyed about the volume of music, and it was truly a game of "pass the roach" when one apartment apartment gets exterminated, they go next door. Then that one eventually gets exterminated.. You get the idea. They never go away. And if someone's apartment close to yours gets sprayed and you see them then that's why. You have to set your own bombs, I never could stand looking at dead Roach bodies. Palmettos, American Sandy Brown, whatever. Roaches.

$550 a month or so in 2010 but if Brian Naples is still the property manager, he's a pretty **** and vinegar guy that doesn't know how to talk to or treat people beyond what money they owe. Will tell you "don't worry about it" in one sentence, three to four months later you get a bill from a collection agency (that you dont have to pay, by the way.)

TONS of Jax apartments for less than a G a month. TONS. Just have to watch the area. I too am single and the 1-bedroom at LP was HUGE.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:42 PM

191 posts, read 230,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorbi82 View Post
TONS of Jax apartments for less than a G a month. TONS. Just have to watch the area. I too am single and the 1-bedroom at LP was HUGE.
Yes, I noticed that as well. When casually browsing apartments dawt com website what IMMEDIATELY stuck out to me was how Jax apartments seem to be dirt-cheap. Of course, I am wary of such low prices and assume there is some kind of trade-off or the neighborhoods have higher crime etc, but I've never been there so maybe it's the "real deal".

I also notice a lot of cheap houses in Jax area, plenty of fixer-upper properties for under $50k. I felt like a kid in a candy store seeing such low low prices on simple houses

I don't remember the last time I saw properties so cheap here in Denver, due to the housing bubble here even an ugly fixer-upper starts in high 50's into the 70k range. Most properties around here in Denver are GROSSLY over-priced, it's refreshing to browse thru Jax listings and realize affordable housing is still out there.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:10 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,680 times
To expand on apartments and rentals, how do house sales and mortgages compare? cheaper, more expensive?

Old 06-25-2016, 04:55 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMiscer View Post
Yes, I noticed that as well. When casually browsing apartments dawt com website what IMMEDIATELY stuck out to me was how Jax apartments seem to be dirt-cheap. Of course, I am wary of such low prices and assume there is some kind of trade-off or the neighborhoods have higher crime etc, but I've never been there so maybe it's the "real deal".

I also notice a lot of cheap houses in Jax area, plenty of fixer-upper properties for under $50k. I felt like a kid in a candy store seeing such low low prices on simple houses

I don't remember the last time I saw properties so cheap here in Denver, due to the housing bubble here even an ugly fixer-upper starts in high 50's into the 70k range. Most properties around here in Denver are GROSSLY over-priced, it's refreshing to browse thru Jax listings and realize affordable housing is still out there.
If you're running across dirt cheap prices - the odds are excellent they're in parts of town most nice decent people wouldn't care to live in.

Here are 2 nicer apartment places in 2 different nice parts of town these days:

Southside Jacksonville FL Apartments | The Uptown at St. Johns

Luxury Jacksonville FL Apartments | The Brooklyn Riverside

You can get places for somewhat less in nicer (although perhaps somewhat older) places - but not a whole lot less. Robyn

Old 06-25-2016, 10:19 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
^Those are both among (if not actually) the most expensive rentals that are not high-rises on the river or ocean. You can find much cheaper and still be in parts of town that nice decent people live.

That said, there's an even lower level of cheap that you should be wary of and I'm not sure what price levels you are talking about. As far as fixer-uppers under 50k, those are much harder to find in good areas these days. Sure, you can easily find some that need to be totally rehabbed, but you're generally looking at 100k all-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville