Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:06 AM

581 posts, read 920,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlino View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies! After doing more research, we have steered our focus toward Tampa Bay - specifically Dunedin, Safety Harbor, Clearwater, and Palm Harbor. How different is St. Augustine from those towns? We're planning our next visit out to Florida later this summer to scout out towns in person.
Before the JAX/St Augustine bashing starts by the Tampa is great folks you should do a search on this forum for St Augustine vs Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 09:07 AM

119 posts, read 339,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbil View Post
Maryland close to Baltimore.

Way too remote for me. Cookie Cutter Houses with small lots. But I was close to I-95 and 210, not the city. I hate everything being so far. After kid graduated from high school I moved to Mandarin.
Where is Mandarin? Do you like it there?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 AM

237 posts, read 496,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
Where is Mandarin? Do you like it there?

It really come down to what you like. Mandarin is as far South as you go in Jacksonville without being in St. John county. It is a Huge area. Zip codes 32223, 32257, and 32258.

It is close to stuff and approximately 30 minutes to beach. I can get to Walmart, Several Grocery Stores, Target, Auto Stores, and tons of Restaurants within walking distance or biking distance, though both are dangerous on San Jose.

Mostly not HOA, mostly middle income and above. Mostly non gated. It is like cities up North. Mostly non cookie cutter, can get some land and even depending on the rules you can have chickens and fresh eggs each day.

Being it is technically in Jacksonville crime will be higher than in some gated community in St. John's County.

I guess you have to make a list of the top 5 things that are most important. Maybe start with you non negotiable items first. So if for example I must be within walking distance of a beach is a non negotiable then Mandarin is out.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 AM

119 posts, read 339,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbil View Post
It really come down to what you like. Mandarin is as far South as you go in Jacksonville without being in St. John county. It is a Huge area. Zip codes 32223, 32257, and 32258.

It is close to stuff and approximately 30 minutes to beach. I can get to Walmart, Several Grocery Stores, Target, Auto Stores, and tons of Restaurants within walking distance or biking distance, though both are dangerous on San Jose.

Mostly not HOA, mostly middle income and above. Mostly non gated. It is like cities up North. Mostly non cookie cutter, can get some land and even depending on the rules you can have chickens and fresh eggs each day.

Being it is technically in Jacksonville crime will be higher than in some gated community in St. John's County.

I guess you have to make a list of the top 5 things that are most important. Maybe start with you non negotiable items first. So if for example I must be within walking distance of a beach is a non negotiable then Mandarin is out.
Great information and reply thank you! I also think some visits will be beneficial this way we can see for ourselves.

Thanks again!

Old 07-12-2016, 02:39 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies! After doing more research, we have steered our focus toward Tampa Bay - specifically Dunedin, Safety Harbor, Clearwater, and Palm Harbor. How different is St. Augustine from those towns? We're planning our next visit out to Florida later this summer to scout out towns in person.
All places are different. For example - Clearwater is the home of Scientology.

Scientology town Clearwater where members pay $100k to learn super human powers | Daily Mail Online

Some people - including me - find it a little weird. If you're a Scientologist - you'll fit right in.

I suggest spending reasonable amounts of time in the areas you're considering. You'll be able to cross off some places in an hour - but others will perhaps be worth a second or third or more trips. It's good that you're visiting in the late summer. Which is when we get our worst weather (in the whole state). Robyn

Old 07-14-2016, 10:34 PM

23 posts, read 32,560 times
Quote:
Do you work in some universally "work anywhere" type profession (or work remotely) or are you coming to Florida hoping to find work? Or just financially independent? You seem to have a degree of discretion in picking your location that is unusual for most people.

It's hard to make money here yet I'm constantly seeing young families move here hoping that they can work retail or as servers, only to get eventually pounded out by the sunshine tax and head back to Ohio.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:21 AM

11 posts, read 18,027 times
I work remotely for a company who's workforce largely works from home and is spread out across the country. So my job would be coming with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville