Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 04:11 PM

486 posts, read 2,113,208 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find a 55 & over community that has shuttle transportation like Century Village for my mom.
The winters up north are too much for her and we have family in Jacksonville. So it would be ideal for her to move around there. However, she does not drive and needs the transportation that the development would offer. We are looking for a condo that she can rent or possibly buy. I tried on line searches but I'm not really seeing anything and I've read on this forum about new developments going up. She doesn't need assisted living. She is fully capable of living on her own. It's just that not having a car (to old to drive) is the issue.

Thank you for any insight and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 05:04 PM

443 posts, read 896,095 times
This might be what you're looking for. They have independent living as well as assisted.

https://www.brookdale.com/communitie...e=6.8&units=mi

Old 07-24-2016, 05:57 PM

104 posts, read 122,525 times
Glenmore at World Golf Village in St Augustine provides transportation, I've heard they rent.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:48 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
This might be what you're looking for. They have independent living as well as assisted.

My father lives in a Brookdale place (an independent living rental). It provides a limited amount of transportation. To doctors' appointments - shopping - church - some concerts and similar. But it's not like you have your own personal driver who will take you wherever you want whenever you want to go there. Other senior places (like Cypress Village and Vicar's Landing - both CCRC's) have similar arrangements.

JAX/Duval County does have public transportation (buses) - taxis and Uber. Those might perhaps be options.

Note that although these places are 55+ communities - the average age of residents is 80+. When it comes to younger 55+ communities - like the Del Webb place down in Nocatee - I'm not aware that it has any transportation at all. Robyn

Old 07-25-2016, 06:05 AM

P.S. It seems that Century City has seen better days.

Is Century Village (WPB) filling up with poor people?

I'm not familiar with any senior place up here that is as cheap as Century Village.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vttosta View Post
Glenmore at World Golf Village in St Augustine provides transportation, I've heard they rent.

This looks like a really nice place and the option to rent is ideal. I will give them a call to get more info and a tour set up.

Thank you!!

Old 07-25-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My father lives in a Brookdale place (an independent living rental). It provides a limited amount of transportation. To doctors' appointments - shopping - church - some concerts and similar. But it's not like you have your own personal driver who will take you wherever you want whenever you want to go there. Other senior places (like Cypress Village and Vicar's Landing - both CCRC's) have similar arrangements.

JAX/Duval County does have public transportation (buses) - taxis and Uber. Those might perhaps be options.

Note that although these places are 55+ communities - the average age of residents is 80+. When it comes to younger 55+ communities - like the Del Webb place down in Nocatee - I'm not aware that it has any transportation at all. Robyn

I was recently searching the area in Nocatee and that area is lovely. Maybe for me in the future!!

Thank you for info and insight and community suggestions. I googled all the places you suggested and will make some calls.

As for the CV thread, that was interesting. My mom has some friends that haven't retired yet that are considering Deerfield CV as they offer a shuttle to the beach. We are driving down to Jacksonville in a few weeks and will see our options. Also going to drive down to Boca and Deerfield too.

Thank you very much!

Old 07-25-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post

Thank you for your help!!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
This looks like a really nice place and the option to rent is ideal. I will give them a call to get more info and a tour set up.

Thank you!!
Glenmoor is a newer CCRC (continuing care retirement community) that has gone bankrupt twice. I think the only reason it offers rentals at times is because people are understandably wary of buying a place there. Because of its past (and possibly current) financial issues - I would be skeptical of any promises it makes in terms of amenities/services.

Also note that Glenmoor is pretty much "out there" (near the World Golf Village). It is a totally car dependent area. Doesn't have bus service - and taking taxis from there to anywhere would be very expensive (don't know if there is any Uber service in that area). It wouldn't be an area I would choose to live in if I didn't drive. Robyn

Old 07-25-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
I was recently searching the area in Nocatee and that area is lovely. Maybe for me in the future!!

Thank you for info and insight and community suggestions. I googled all the places you suggested and will make some calls.

As for the CV thread, that was interesting. My mom has some friends that haven't retired yet that are considering Deerfield CV as they offer a shuttle to the beach. We are driving down to Jacksonville in a few weeks and will see our options. Also going to drive down to Boca and Deerfield too.

Thank you very much!
That wouldn't be a game-changer or deal-breaker for me.

You might take a look at the threads on CD about the various Century Villages to get an overall idea of what you're looking at. For example:

Century Village Deerfield Beach vs. Century Village Boca Raton

I've only been to a Century Village (and I can' remember which one) a couple of times. When I lived in Miami and a friend from up north would visit her elderly parents there. Even at the time (late 80's or so) - it was pretty much older lower end housing for low income seniors. That might be what your mother is looking for - maybe not.

These places can have all kinds of issues. Some as a result of their age (no central A/C or elevators). Some as a result of finances that are inadequate to deal with things like storms - like Hurricane Wilma:

Senior residents despair over Wilma repairs

Some are even so old that they have ancient grandfathered in "recreation leases". Which are expensive and have been illegal for many many decades in Florida.

It is perhaps hard to go wrong if you're a snowbird renting for the season and are content with what you're renting. It's a different story if the place is year-round - and the only one you have. Wherever your mother winds up - I recommend renting first before buying (I recommend that for almost everyone). Robyn

P.S. How old is your mother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville