Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:26 PM

464 posts, read 699,360 times

Advertisements

I see you used to live in Indianapolis and understand how this is such a huge difference. I used to live there too and drivers were horrible but for different reasons. They were courteous but drove clueless and always 10 below the speed limit. Also I've never been anywhere else where cars would come to a full stop before railroad crossings despite the lights being off. Almost made me wonder if it was an Indiana law.

Drivers here are aggressive no doubt. Wonder if it's because people who move here come from all over and different driving styles make for chaos.

At any rate, be careful out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 07:29 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Why, then, do auto insurers and their infinite capacity to run #s charge LESS on premiums for college educated people?

https://coverhound.com/insurance-lea...nsurance-rates

Does Your Education Level Impact Your Car Insurance Rates?
I dont doubt the numbers, insurance companies have actuaries looking all the numbers. I think there are number of factors that contribute

1. People who are college educated generally make more, they will maintain cars better, have new tires etc which helps prevent accidents

2. If you have more money you are more likeley to NOT file a claim for minor damage.

3. If you make more money you are more likely to use taxi, uber etc when you SHOULD not be driving

4. And if you are more prominent, professional licence etc you consider the consequences of your actions on the road.

5. And when you have more money you can shop insurance rates better, have access to more insurers, like AAA and USAA for former military. The companies want to keep you happy so you use them for other insurances or services

Last edited by jwolfer; 07-28-2016 at 07:41 AM..

Old 07-28-2016, 07:38 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,350 times
It seems that nearly every city forum has a thread complaining about how bad the drivers or the roads are in that place. I think driving and traffic is worse/more dangerous

Florida has some unique factors that make drivers worse... some apply more in other parts of the state than others.. But some are universal

-Lots of retirees, some of whom should not be driving
-Tourists who are on vacation so they are not familar with where they are going
-People from Latin America who drive very differently
-young military guys with money to buy fast cars trucks
-large and growing population, infrastructure cant keep up
-increased distractions to the driver( texting, videos and movies on smart phones in cars)
-poor driver education and training, too easy to get DL( this is the US in general not just FL)

There are more but I have to get back to work

Old 07-28-2016, 08:05 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I dont doubt the numbers, insurance companies have actuaries looking all the numbers. I think there are number of factors that contribute

1. People who are college educated generally make more, they will maintain cars better, have new tires etc which helps prevent accidents

2. If you have more money you are more likeley to NOT file a claim for minor damage.

3. If you make more money you are more likely to use taxi, uber etc when you SHOULD not be driving

4. And if you are more prominent, professional licence etc you consider the consequences of your actions on the road.

5. And when you have more money you can shop insurance rates better, have access to more insurers, like AAA and USAA for former military. The companies want to keep you happy so you use them for other insurances or services
All true. And don't forget #6

6. Know and understand the rules of the road better and are generally more aware of their surroundings and cognizant of the dangers of speeding and driving aggressive.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:24 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
We moved here from Miami - and if you think it's bad here....

One of my favorite humor writers - Dave Barry - makes a living out of writing columns about - among other things - bad drivers in Miami. For example:

Bad driving: It's not just for old people | Miami Herald

Driving while stupid | Miami Herald

OTOH - traffic congestion and drivers have gotten somewhat worse since we moved here. Maybe it's because people from Miami are moving here ? Robyn

Old 07-29-2016, 12:23 AM

140 posts, read 167,893 times
Unfortunately I don't think the things I mentioned are Florida problems or caused by tourists and retirees. I go to Tampa Bay every week, never experienced any of the things I mentioned and I will guarantee you there are more tourists or retirees there than in Jax... Never had a bad experience with a New York, Virginia or Michigan license plate.

There is a YouTube channel named "bad drivers of Jacksonville " it is hilarious but I think I have more bad experiences combined than the entire video archive of the channel... not sure if it is my luck but after witnessing the crazy guy sliding on the rain blowing his tire and hiting the tree and taking off nobody can make me believe drivers are similar else where... that was the last straw lol.

In one of the YouTube videos the recorder ends up in a road Rage incident and he ends up calling 911... it is worth watching.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:29 AM

Man I will take Indianapolis driving any day... At least people up there slow down and pull over & come to a complete stop every single time an emergency vehicle passes by . In Jacksonville the mentality is "lemme get behind the ambulance so I can speed even more " lmao ��

Old 07-29-2016, 12:50 AM

If y'all don't hear from me in a while it is probably because I got killed in a road accident... Tell my family I love them and please bring a steak and shake garlic cheeseburger to my tombstone lmao

Old 07-29-2016, 06:13 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
I have another theory on the wild driving here - in addition to the number of NASCAR fans who like to pretend they're Dale Earnhardt Jr. on the roads, the infrastructure in Florida in terms of the roads is really well done. Wide roads that have the glow in the dark lane markers coupled with few potholes allows people to drive far less defensively here. Up north and certainly in the northeast you have to be far more aware of your surroundings and the roads are much older/narrower, so you see people driving slower and more carefully.

I've had a few visitors here and each of them have mentioned what nice, wide roads we have in FL. That was one of my first observations here as well.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:10 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jada_yel View Post
Man I will take Indianapolis driving any day... At least people up there slow down and pull over & come to a complete stop every single time an emergency vehicle passes by . In Jacksonville the mentality is "lemme get behind the ambulance so I can speed even more " lmao ��
It's interesting to read different perspectives on drivers. There was this one forum member who lives in Indianapolis and said that Florida drivers were more relaxed and felt like the Indianapolis drivers were the more aggressive ones.

My opinion on Indiana drivers... I know in Columbus, OH I always watch out for those with Indiana plates because they seem to do something out of the ordinary.

My opinion on Florida drivers...just like any other place, they have their good and bad. My worst driving experiences are not in Florida though. It's along the I-95 corridor from Washington, DC to Boston, MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville