U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 04:49 AM

1,503 posts, read 2,951,652 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am trying to decide between these 2 areas for buying a rental property. One home is in Moncreif Park near the 1 (MLK) and I-95 (32209) and the other near Edgebrook and Beaver/Broadway (32254). Is one area better than the other?
Rate this post positively

Old 08-16-2016, 06:25 AM
Status: "Growing and operating Red Rooster Property Management" (set 21 days ago)

2,479 posts, read 5,582,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Hello, I am trying to decide between these 2 areas for buying a rental property. One home is in Moncreif Park near the 1 (MLK) and I-95 (32209) and the other near Edgebrook and Beaver/Broadway (32254). Is one area better than the other?
Everyone has their threshold for risk, I guess. What's your expectation from these properties you're wanting to buy?

Old 08-16-2016, 07:06 PM

376 posts, read 352,542 times
Both would be considered sketchy. Moncrief Park is not far from Grand Park, which has arguably the most gang activity in the city.

Paxon/Woodstock Park might not be quite as bad but can be sketchy on a block by block basis. A mixture of long time home owners and rental property with a good amount of vacant boarded up houses on each block.

Rents will be on the low side for either neighborhood.

Are you a resident of Jacksonville?

Old 08-17-2016, 01:05 PM

2,764 posts, read 1,421,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonvilleNative View Post
Both would be considered sketchy. Moncrief Park is not far from Grand Park, which has arguably the most gang activity in the city.

Paxon/Woodstock Park might not be quite as bad but can be sketchy on a block by block basis. A mixture of long time home owners and rental property with a good amount of vacant boarded up houses on each block.

Rents will be on the low side for either neighborhood.

Are you a resident of Jacksonville?
Yeah just being honest here, these aren't the best areas of Jax. Especially Moncreif Park.

When people constantly talk up how terrible and unsafe Jax is, I think these neighborhoods are some of the ones that you wanna stay away from.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 13,376 times
Moncrief is no longer an area where you would want to collect rent. Ongoing gang activity and shootings are on the evening news most nights. Paxon doesn't have the nonstop news coverage, and I'm fine with driving there on business before dark. I would not drive through Moncrief or Soutel after dark.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:17 AM

1,503 posts, read 2,951,652 times
Default Thank you for the feedback

I am in Houston. and have already been investing in areas of Houston. Like 5th ward and South Park which are usually ranked as some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. It doesn't bother me. I like to Invest in these areas because the houses are cheap and the return is High. NIow prices are too high in Texas and most of Florida. Now Jacksonville looks like the place to go. I drove around these areas and it looks like most of the folks are just "Chillin" and trying to make it from day to day.
I also am interested because in Houston. All of those neighborhoods are being gentrified and turned into expensive hip urban enclaves that are near to downtown. Years ago no one would even drive through those areas. Now they are the hottest real estate in the City.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:53 PM

2,764 posts, read 1,421,158 times
Quote:
I am in Houston. and have already been investing in areas of Houston. Like 5th ward and South Park which are usually ranked as some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. It doesn't bother me. I like to Invest in these areas because the houses are cheap and the return is High. NIow prices are too high in Texas and most of Florida. Now Jacksonville looks like the place to go. I drove around these areas and it looks like most of the folks are just "Chillin" and trying to make it from day to day.
I also am interested because in Houston. All of those neighborhoods are being gentrified and turned into expensive hip urban enclaves that are near to downtown. Years ago no one would even drive through those areas. Now they are the hottest real estate in the City.
There's a couple gentrified neighbors here in JAX too. Haven't lived here long, coming up on 3 years in November. But I've learned some of the history. I've heard that Riverside was once not a very good neighborhood, same with Murray Hill. And especially true of Springfield. All are pretty decent now, for the most part. Although I'll be honest, there are parts of all of these neighborhoods that I wouldn't really wanna live in, just because of the close proximity to some of the bad neighborhoods. The northern tips of Murray Hill and northwest part of Riverside border Lackawanna. A neighborhood that isn't safe. And the absolute north tip of Springfield is just a block or mere blocks away from some not very desirable places.

Most of Springfield is nice though and has some beautifully restored homes. I hope to one day buy some properties to invest in, as long as I don't have to break my neck and work 60-80 hours a week to make it happen. I probably already have a decent sized down payment to get started on something in Springfield, but it probably would need to be restored (for the sale price with the down payment I have) and I don't have time to do this right now.

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2016, 06:59 PM

376 posts, read 352,542 times
Another area you might look in would be 32206 and 32208. Not quite as bad as Moncrief area. Look in Neighborhoods known as New Springfield, Brentwood, Northshore, Lakeshore.

If you are used to these types of areas, these won't bother you.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:43 AM

8 posts, read 13,376 times
Quote:
I'm a Jacksonville native, sixty years and counting. Duval County is a difficult county to get things done. It took almost forty years to turn Springfield around because of so many of the houses were owned by slumlords and ACLF owners. Crime was marginal compared to other cities. They are trying to improve downtown, but destroyed most anything of historical value in the 70s and 80s. Only a few scattered landmarks, vacant parking lots everywhere, and most new ventures fail. People prefer to stick to their own neighborhoods for entertainment.
Riverside has hospitals and doctor's offices. San Marco is "hip," and Five Points is an overlooked area. But the days of a deal (could pick up a Victorian house in Springfield for $700.00 are LONG gone.)
Used to live near Soutel back in the 60s, and it wasn't a problem. If you're used to managing rentals in gang territory, it is not Detroit or Chicago by any means. I would not count on the area improving, though. Duval County politics don't work that way. Too much interest in tearing down and expansion east and south. New people in north Florida want beaches and waterfront, not drive-bys and protests. Check out protests by Moms and the number of murdered children and teens in the area. What you see cruising the neighborhood during the day may not indicate what's on the nightly news. Good luck to you.

Last edited by PlankRoadKid; 09-02-2016 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Clarifying info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville