Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:44 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times

Advertisements

A Black and PR lesbian couple with kids in Jax?!! OMG! I feel like an outsider here and I am a 50+, straight, Christian white woman with two kids.

Maybe I have just become too cynical, but, IMO there are many other places to look other than this town.

But if you do relocate here, DM me and I'll let you know about rental homes in my neighborhood. We need more diversity.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:22 AM
rtt

302 posts, read 812,386 times
I wouldn't want to live in a place where I had to hide who I was and what my family was. Are you wiling to always be careful about what you say and how you say it? Maybe Riverside and Atlantic Beach would be OK, but there are other more welcoming areas for families like yours. This is a VERY conservative, religious area. (Try Asheville NC maybe?)

Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 AM

And if I may qualify rtt's comments...

religious as in holy roller, fighting fundies.... what is considered the religious fringe elsewhere is mainstream here.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:18 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
I do not think they would have a problem here. There is nothing wrong with being religious, or even very religious. I consider myself very religious and I know plenty of gay guys (and there are probably girls too) that are gay and religious, and even vote republican gasp! Religious people are actually imho the most accepting people (I don't know many Baptists, but everyone else) because as Christians we do not judge, we leave that for God to do.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
rtt

The folks here who literally interpret the Bible wouldn't take kindly to a gay couple living next door, jsimms3. There's alot of judging that goes on out there when they think they have the good book on their side, believe me.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I do not think they would have a problem here. There is nothing wrong with being religious, or even very religious. I consider myself very religious and I know plenty of gay guys (and there are probably girls too) that are gay and religious, and even vote republican gasp! Religious people are actually imho the most accepting people (I don't know many Baptists, but everyone else) because as Christians we do not judge, we leave that for God to do.
I guess we are getting OT, but IMO, the Methodist churches that I have attended (only 2, to be honest, but in each case, for more than a year) have struck me more like southern Baptist with regard to social issues.

I, too, consider myself very religious, but just haven't found my niche here when it comes to houses of religion. Will be attending a Unitarian Church this Sunday.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:13 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
You can't be gay and be socially conservative?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 AM
rtt

Well, doesn't "socially conservative" include valuing marriage/relationships between men and women only?

Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt View Post
Well, doesn't "socially conservative" include valuing marriage/relationships between men and women only?
No, "traditional values" mean different things to different people. As much as the bible thumping social conservatives believe that they represent the majority of them, thats not necessarily true. Depends on where you are.

IMO, we put way too much emphases on social conservatism & not enough on fiscal conservatism. Basically this is what core Republicans were known for, but sure not lately. Its flip-flopped & now everyone thinks you gotta be all about government telling us how to live our lives to be a good little conservative. As a traditional Republican, that actually makes me sick that its come to that. But thats another issue.

Point being, if everyone just minded their own business/were more tolerant towards different opinions than their own & taught their kids to be the same, we'd all be a lot better off, instead of trying to cram what we personally believe in down everyone's throat. Its not the governments job to enforce morals, its parents. "Morals" are different for everyone & something you cant really define outright.

To the OP, you should be fine in Jacksonville, especially if you lived in Riverside or San Marco. Yeah, we def got out share of ignorant rednecks or judgmental religious people (yes, you do exist) here in town, but you know there's ignorance all around. I mean, as long as you & your partner arent making out on the street or anything like that you should be fine.

IMO, live your life how you want anywhere in America. That's why we're a free country. If people gotta problem with you, especially those who dont even know you as a person, then F 'em. Life's too short to be trying to please everyone all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville