Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,337,293 times

Advertisements

If anyone is looking to plant some trees, Greenscape is having a tree sale this Saturday on the SE corner of Emerson & Phillips:

First Coast News Search

So much to do this Saturday....buy a bunch of trees....go to the Scottish Highlands Festival....what else can I pack in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,129,337 times
I went late morning last year and they had little left. This year I will go early!

21st Annual Flowering Tree Sale

7:00am - 1:00pm 2/23/2008
Northeast corner of intersection of Emerson & Phillips Highway

Thousands of trees and shrubs will be presented for sale at $10.00 each. Varieties include Japanese Magnolia, Live Oaks, East Palatka Hollies, Crape Myrtles, Drake Elms, Winged Elms, Nuttal Oaks, Riverbirch, Bald Cypress, Dogwoods, Red Maples, and Redbuds. Proceeds from the Sale support tree planting programs for Greenscape in Jacksonville, Inc.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post

7:00am - 1:00pm 2/23/2008
Northeast corner of intersection of Emerson & Phillips Highway
So it's the NE corner? FirstCoast News has it listed as the SE corner (they also had the sale from 7am-7am....you really do have to get there early ).

Old 02-22-2008, 03:23 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,650 times
Any potted plants or just trees? My lanai is a bit bare.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:35 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,129,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
So it's the NE corner? FirstCoast News has it listed as the SE corner (they also had the sale from 7am-7am....you really do have to get there early ).
Hmmm.. the Greenscape site says SE, also. I got the info above off the Non-Profit Center website. It's not that big a lot, though. I doubt anyone could miss it.

Maybe our in-house master gardener, Ms. Karla with a K, can be there to give advice to CD members!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Any potted plants or just trees? My lanai is a bit bare.
I know they'll have shrubs since azaleas were listed , so trees & shrubs, but I'm not sure what else.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:41 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,011,427 times
I actually called the ext office yesterday to get some more info
they told me that you really want to be there early especially if you are going for the magnolias because they are gone in the first hour
The person I spoke with said it wouldn't hurt to get there around 6:30 if these are the trees your going for.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:54 AM

Talking What'd you get?

I just came back from the sale.....what a rush for us plant-geeks!

Karla would have been impressed with me, I was there before they opened (I'm not an early riser, to say the least! ). I was not alone as the parking lot was already 1/2 full by the time I got there and there was a long line waiting to get in.

So here's what I scored:

1 Live Oak
1 Holly (Palatka Holly, I think? )
1 Maple (Flame)
2 River Birch
2 Japanese Magnolias/Saucer Magnolia
1 Royal Star Magnolia

All for $80.

What'd you get?

Old 02-23-2008, 07:04 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,011,427 times
rofl riveree

I am very impressed lol when was the last time you saw 6:00 am

around 5am I thought hmmm lets call riv and wake her

sounds like you got a great bunch of trees
you should of picked me up afterwards or I could of met you guys and we could of gone to breakfast
wonder who else went ?

p.s. how big are they ? was larry right in his guess

Old 02-23-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
rofl riveree

I am very impressed lol when was the last time you saw 6:00 am

around 5am I thought hmmm lets call riv and wake her

sounds like you got a great bunch of trees
you should of picked me up afterwards or I could of met you guys and we could of gone to breakfast
wonder who else went ?

p.s. how big are they ? was larry right in his guess
Hey, I can get up with the sun when the situation calls for it.

Yeah, don't call at 5am, you'll get the birds going and they'll never shut up ("Hello?! Hello?!....parrot chatter....parrot chatter....Hello?! Hello?!").

All the trees are young:

Live Oaks, Maples & Hollies - appx 5-6 feet tall, but thin

River Birch - appx 2-3 feet tall and very wispy

Magnolias - bigger than I'd expect, only 2-3 feet tall, but nice thick stems

From what I've read, when you plant the trees in the ground when they are this young, they catch up on their growth very quickly, so these will get big in no time.

I ended up not bringing my garden cart because it's one of those heavy-duty ones and it took up 1/2 the interior space in the Honda. I really needed that space to fit all the trees in. So we bought 2 or 3 at a time and carried them out to the car. We could have asked a volunteer to assist (some had carts too) and tipped them, but we managed on our own (I don't like to get slowed down by anyone ). Some people had flat carts - like a board on wheels......now those are smart because they will lie flat in the truck/SUV and you can lay the trees on top of them. Hubby was admiring the variety of trailers people had....there were some very nice ones.

In addition to what I ended up getting, they had Crape Myrtles (Sioux and Muskogee), Winged Elm, Drake Elm, Redbud, azaleas and Treaty Oak saplings (saplings from the actual Treaty Oak...pretty cool).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville