U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 10:25 PM

4 posts, read 2,693 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've lived here since '80 and have never had a problem. There are some apartment complexes that obviously need to be avoided, but I believe that as long as you surround yourself with good people, you can succeed anywhere. Jacksonville is fine, St. Augustine is a bit better. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 10:39 AM

1,063 posts, read 626,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
I've had good memories living in Jacksonville, and I grew up in the Notorious Northside of Jacksonville. One thing about Jacksonville is that you learn real quick where not to go. Some of the residents in the worst areas of Jacksonville will let you know how dangerous their hood/side of town is, how it goes down, etc. As long as you don't slang on the block or have any vendettas against anyone, you can escape 99% of the crime in Jacksonville. I like Jacksonville becausae your money goes further here than in a lot of places, and it's growing while maintaining it's uniqueness.

While the murder rate is going up, remember that it's due to retaliation, and being involved in the drug business. As long as you're not thugging in the streets, you should be fine, and stay out of the ghettos.
Im living on the Northside now and while the Notthside definitely have hood areas (I live on the chase and 29th neighborhood) but once you get further away from downtown the north side gets a lot better. It's the Northwest side that's the hood.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:58 AM

1,063 posts, read 626,142 times
I'm starting to like Jax probably because I came from a small town so I feel that I'm able to appreciate Jax more than someone who's moving from a major city. I knew Jacksonville wasn't going to be perfect but the fact that it has a strong poetry scene makes me happy. Coming from rural NC I didn't have anything like that and I spent years being crushed because I have a burning desire to be a full-time spoken word artist and I know that God had put this gift in me to reach a younger generation. Right now things are going slow, I'm still job-hunting but I know I'm where I need to be.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:34 PM

3,337 posts, read 6,838,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Im living on the Northside now and while the Northside definitely has hood areas (I live on the chase and 29th neighborhood) but once you get further away from downtown the north side gets a lot better. It's the Northwest side that's the hood.
Facts. 32208 & 32209 will put you in the Northside ghetto. 32218 consists of the better areas of Northside, this is the area from Dunn Ave. up to the Airport. Dunn Ave. is the dividing line between the hood and good areas of the Northside.

Quote:
I'm starting to like Jax probably because I came from a small town so I feel that I'm able to appreciate Jax more than someone who's moving from a major city. I knew Jacksonville wasn't going to be perfect but the fact that it has a strong poetry scene makes me happy. Coming from rural NC I didn't have anything like that and I spent years being crushed because I have a burning desire to be a full-time spoken word artist and I know that God had put this gift in me to reach a younger generation. Right now things are going slow, I'm still job-hunting but I know I'm where I need to be.
Jacksonville is glad to have you, and keep up the good work with your spoken word artistry. It's good to see brothers doing something positive with their lives.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:33 PM

136 posts, read 235,942 times
Quote:
That's what's up right there. From reading your post, you seem like you have a good head about you, and positivism to boot--which itself seems to be in short supply these days, but then recognizing the source of your gift and being willing to put that to work for the right reason...I say you'll be blessed richly in return for that. I say this as one who really used to be into the spoken-word scene and am slowly making my way back into scribe mode.

Re: Jax...I myself have an eyeball turned toward it. I've known about the place for years on top of years, and am in and out of there on a pretty regular basis for my job. My reason for looking at planting down there is that first of all, it'd put me back in my "home" environment after so many years up north and in the midwest and now upper midwest (I'm from the other end of north FL), and secondly, it'd also put me back closer to much of my fam, who are spread out through GA, PA, back home and central FL. And of course, being back near the beaches and the water would be a welcome change from being snowed on for months at a time. To me, Jacksonville is really a super-spread out version of my hometown (right down to the Navy base), but with slightly more to do and a much higher profile, so I'd blend right back in. That it has a strong poetry scene is a plus, because I wasn't aware of that part, but now have something to look for whenever I do eventually land back down there.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:51 PM

7 posts, read 7,730 times
I am just glad to be away from the bugs, extreme heat and humidity. I love living where there are four seasons, my days here are warm and the evenings cool and hardly and bugs. The lakes and mountains are beautiful just to behold all day everyday. You can have Florida and all it doesn’t have to offer.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:46 AM

60 posts, read 30,890 times
Cool Jacksonville in particular, Florida in general

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaburnette View Post
Hi everyone!
Can I say that my dream of moving to the Jacksonville area in 4 years has totally been crushed reading all of these posts! My husband and I are empty-nesters but still work and will need to for the next 15 years and we decided to make a 5-year plan to arrange our finances, research the real estate market and the job market so we can make an educated decision before making the move from NC to Jacksonville, FL.

I've been reading posts for about an hour now and the things I have read make me want to abandon my dream... it sounds like a general consensus is that there's no good place in Jacksonville to live, low wages, expensive housing, rude people, terrible traffic, huge bugs, crocks waiting to eat your pets, danger on every corner, hookers everywhere... is this the opinion of the majority or a few people who HATE this area?

We were looking specifically at Jacksonville to be as close as we can to NC should we have to commute back home and so our families won't have to travel so far to visit, and so we can enjoy the good climate, much shorter commute to the ocean, a change of scenery, an adventure of living somewhere besides our hometown, etc. Were we that far off base? I feel sad, like my dream was not well thought-out and far from reality based on most opinions on this site.

Are there NO positives about living in Jacksonville? I'm so disappointed and sad, our dream has died before it ever became a reality. We aren't quite ready yet( paying down debt first) but the years they fly by; our 5-year plan is now only a 4- year plan. One year down... but we have much thinking to do!

Can someone post their positive experiences of living and working in Jacksonville? Please?

First, I broke your writing up into paragraphs in order to read your prose.

I left Jacksonville and Florida 25 years ago but lived in various Florida locales from 1957.

Living anywhere in Florida requires one to be very aggressive and resourceful. That being said, living in Florida is what you make it. Well off people who move to Florida 'may' have an easier time than those starting from scratch?

I still visit my remaining relatives in the Jax area (all elderly like myself). I would probably consider moving back to Jacksonville (or Florida) if I was extremely well off and flush with cash (I'm not at present).

As things now stand, my current home here in NC is paid for, few bills, modest retirement income, and I'm in the sunset of my life. My current local area used to be flush with relatives - thinking I'm now the last one.

Old 07-13-2021, 09:53 AM

8,644 posts, read 19,219,838 times
For us, we are super glad to be back in Colorado. Next month we will have been here for two years, which includes two winters. Two winters of snow and cold-to-freezing weather. Actually, this past March (I think it was) we got a full-blown blizzard with 30 inches of snow. And, since I'm retired and wife works from home now, we didn't have to go out in it at all. The foothills, to the Rockies, are in our background, as well as seeing the Rocky Mountains themselves.

I've stated this a number of times in this thread............Florida isn't for everyone and, after 10 1/2 years, it definitely wasn't for us anymore. Like other rather large populated cities, Jax has it's problems, although, many, many folks don't even think about any of the problems. There are those that simply love, in a big way, Jacksonville, and Florida, and others that don't.

As far as the OP goes, moving to Jax is entirely up to you. Visit/drive around, check crime stats and job opportunities and THEN, decide for yourself.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:56 PM

46 posts, read 23,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaburnette View Post
Hi everyone!

hookers everywhere...

Imma visit Jax ASAP!

Old 07-17-2021, 12:45 PM

29 posts, read 35,418 times
I'm a senior citizen who grew up in Jax, left for college, got married and moved all over the US with my late husband while he "climbed the corporate ladder" as Baby Boomers did in the 70's to the 90's.
We lived in Texas for many years, loved it, but when our kids were grown we came back home to Florida, and chose my hometown of Jax over his Miami hometown. That was a no brainer.
Our kids decided to follow us and they're settled in now with careers, family,
etc.
Jax has beaches, rivers, good weather, great medical care, good job opportunities, great suburbs, some great restaurants, an NFL team - and yes, there's crime. Crime is everywhere in large metro areas, and we are close to 2 million in our greater area. Avoid certain areas, be aware of surroundings, and live your life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville