Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:16 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxalamalakum View Post
I was just reading an article I found (I didn't copy the link or anything) about the future expansion plans of the MLS, and I thought it was funny, since we're talking about all this, that the MLS plans to expand from the 16 official teams it has now to at least 18 by 2012. One of the cities being heavily considered (again...) is Miami, because league officials say that Miami is "the gateway to Cuba", so the soccer.. err football culture would be strong. I can't say I'd disagree.
I said in my original post that I didn't think it would ever work either. I just think it would be cool to have some soccer around here!

You mentioned the Jags struggling here in Jax. I've heard several different sides; one being that the stadium's capacity is much larger than many other pro stadiums, which offsets the attendance numbers, or something like that. Others say Jacksonville just isn't the greatest metro area for a pro sports team. What do you think? What is the future of Jaguars football? What if they were to, say, win the Super Bowl?
Several of these arguments are dead wrong ... MLS did not work in South Florida because the "Caribbean " Hispanics i.e ..Cubans , Puerto Ricans , Dominicans and now Venezuelans are baseball fanatics not soccer fans also going to see a soccer game in South Florida in July or August is brutal due to the heat and humidity .... you do not need Hispanics in your cities for soccer to be successful ... Seattle and Columbus , Ohio have MLS teams with some of the highest turnouts and most of the fan base is lily white .... soccer in Jacksonville could work if the team was good and their was the right venue for it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,507,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Several of these arguments are dead wrong ... MLS did not work in South Florida because the "Caribbean " Hispanics i.e ..Cubans , Puerto Ricans , Dominicans and now Venezuelans are baseball fanatics not soccer fans also going to see a soccer game in South Florida in July or August is brutal due to the heat and humidity .... you do not need Hispanics in your cities for soccer to be successful ... Seattle and Columbus , Ohio have MLS teams with some of the highest turnouts and most of the fan base is lily white .... soccer in Jacksonville could work if the team was good and their was the right venue for it .

Right ...you never saw a newsreel or a picture of Castro playng soccer now did you ..NO it was always baseball.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:50 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
The Marlins had issues selling tickets some seasons?? Where was this hispanic/latino community you speak of?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:39 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Jacksonville awarded North American Lacrosse League franchise. Heard the press conference on the radio. They'll start this January at the Veteran's Memorial. I guess this is a potential niche in this area, with JU being the first NCAA lacrosse team in Florida and us having hosted the NCAA Lacrosse Showcase last spring.

North American Lacrosse League (http://northamericanlacrosseleague.com/splash.cfm?go=article&id=557 - broken link)

Old 08-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Jacksonville awarded North American Lacrosse League franchise. Heard the press conference on the radio. They'll start this January at the Veteran's Memorial. I guess this is a potential niche in this area, with JU being the first NCAA lacrosse team in Florida and us having hosted the NCAA Lacrosse Showcase last spring.
North American Lacrosse League (http://northamericanlacrosseleague.com/splash.cfm?go=article&id=557 - broken link)
I'm the first to admit it, I know nothing about Lacrosse. I have seen it on ESPN and it looked interesting. And my son tells me that there are some high schools here that are playing it now. And one of my older cousins played for and was the captain of the John Hopkins team back in the 60's, but down here we just considered that a different kind of a Yankee sport. Yes Lacrosse was played at the acadamy, but none of the Cadets that were from the South ever paid it much attention, that I can remember

BUT isn't lacrosse an outdoor sport? They're going to play at Veterans Memorial Arena? That seems like an awful small area to play it in.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
There is an indoor league ans an outdoor league

Old 08-04-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

There is only 8 teams in the league?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
There is only 8 teams in the league?
NO! There are only 3 teams in the league currently Charlotte, Wilkes Barr-Scranton and Jacksonville They are planning on adding maybe 3 more teams. Where, is to be announced soon. OHH, and yes its an indoor league.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:14 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
NO! There are only 3 teams in the league currently Charlotte, Wilkes Barr-Scranton and Jacksonville They are planning on adding maybe 3 more teams. Where, is to be announced soon. OHH, and yes its an indoor league.
I don't know a lot about LAX either, but from the 15 or so matches I've watched in my life, I'd say indoor is more exciting. So bring it...I don't think professional lacrosse is well-established enough for this new league to be positioned as a AA or developmental League. I think it could easily turn into the major league if it can be successful.

BTW, go Lady Northwestern Wildcats!! When I was there we were like 4 or 5 time national lacrosse champions, with a couple undefeated seasons. I know...I had to really stretch to be proud of sports at Northwestern. We had a good men's soccer team too. LOL...big change in athletic pride considering I was at the University of Florida for undergrad, when we won three national titles in a row in the sports that mattered.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
An this is something Jacksonville should be excited about??? a 3 teamed league?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville