U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 08:59 PM

14 posts, read 8,598 times

Advertisements

Hi there
So we will be moving from new york to Jacksonville sometime coming summer.

By then my kids will be 8 and 3 and my boy who is autistic will be 4.

I am looking for good schools for them preferably private. Cost is not really a worry, our employer pays for it.
We will be moving to St Johns County.

I have looked in to Bolles
I like it, not sure if there is a selection process. We may be missing their deadline for application too.

I called Jacksonville Country day, all sounded well until she told me the class size is 22 kids?
Really????? In Westchester New York our class size in a public school is maximum 18 but most classes are 15 or 16 kids?
Is this normal for schools?

I am looking for a school with a rigorous academic program and great extended care.
I looked at St Johns Country day but it is on the other side of the bridge and will be too far a commute.
As I will be a student in St Augustine.

Can anyone recommend schools?
I would prefer one without a religious affiliation.

Aslo Bolles would not take my 3 year old daughter as they only have a pre k 4 and her bday is in october...
recommendations for any nearby prek 3?

For my son I have narrowed it down to reaching milestones, little star and jacksonville school for autism

Oh any any other advice is welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 10:07 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,370,412 times
St Johns county is the top rated school district in the state . Why not just go with the public school?

Old 01-30-2017, 05:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,321 times
The schools you have checked out are the only ones. Bolles is nonreligious, considered a great school but not for every child. The valedictorian of Bolles and Episcopal in our time were both graduates from Jacksonville Country Day. Usually they have two teachers per classroom. The assistant is usually someone that holds a degree. The class size was not to large. You don't have a lot of options as far as nonreligious schools.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:16 PM

86 posts, read 69,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
St Johns county is the top rated school district in the state . Why not just go with the public school?
Even with the class size amendment in place, there is no guarantee of 18 or less kids in your class in St. Johns County. By the day in fact, more and more classes are overcapacity with an associate teacher, many of whom don't seem to hired until the class reaches 20?! The 18 student cap almost seems meaningless, in my experience.

I have close family in Westchester and my impression is SJC public schools are not in the same caliber...generally speaking.

I have friends very happy at Providence. I believe they hold chapel, but is non denominational. Somebody else may have more specific info for you. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:45 PM

85 posts, read 165,101 times
Providence is pretty Christian...

"Providence School was founded in 1996 as a ministry of New Life Christian Fellowship. Today, Providence educates over 1,300 students in two locations—: The Main Campus (Kindergarten-12th grade) and Providence Preschool campus (Ages 2 -5). From individual classroom attention and award winning fine arts to a championship athletic tradition, Providence prepares students to reach their full potential in a distinctly Christian environment. Unmatched in college preparation, students who graduate from Providence are prepared to attend college anywhere, including some of the most prestigious academic institutions of higher learning in the country. Whether it’s in a hands-on lab, on a field trip, or a Global Missions Trip, graduates leave the doors of Providence School prepared for life."

We moved to St. Johns county because of the excellent schools. My boys had been at the Jewish Day school in Jacksonville, and it wasn't the best fit for them. We considered the aforementioned Bolles and JCDS, but since we had outgrown our home in Jax, we figured we might as well confine our new home search to St. Johns. We moved here five years ago, and have no regrets. My husband and I are both from the NYC area (Long Island and New Jersey) and have found the education our boys are receiving here to be on par with the schools their cousins up north are attending.

If you insist on secular private schools, Bolles and JCDS are really your best (and perhaps only) options. I have friends with kids at both schools (as well as one neighbor whose kids travel all the way to Providence) and they do seem happy with their decision to send their kids there...while most live in Duval County, a few did choose those private schools over the public schools in St. Johns.

I do have friends whose kids attend Little Star and are very happy there.

Feel free to message me if you have questions.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:39 PM

145 posts, read 164,547 times
For private school, Bolles is an excellent choice. They keep the elementary campuses small and the teachers and resources are excellent. The math curriculum is the best I've seen. I would call ASAP to work out admission. I don't think the deadline is for a couple of months, but you may have to arrange for testing and other paperwork.

Many parents I know favor the Jax School of Autism over the other schools, though the Florida Autism Center just opened in St Augustine and that might be a convenient choice as Little Star and Jax are pretty far north. You may also want to look at Bloom, which offers an ABA Preschool and their therapists are top notch.

For mainstream Preschool, there's one near Bolles that's run from the Ponte Vedra Episcopal church, not super religious. There's also Primrose (opening in Nocatee soon) and St Francis of the Field,. There is a Montessori based Preschool in Palencia, as well. A lot depend on where your two older kids go to school as I can imagine that driving up and down Jax is not anyone's dream day. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions!

Best of luck!!

Old 01-31-2017, 01:49 PM

80 posts, read 117,722 times
If you have to go to St. Augustine every day, take a look at Moultrie Montessori School for your 3 year old daughter. A few years ago, we sent our then-4 year old daughter there and we were very impressed. We visited preschools all over St. Augustine, and the only other one we seriously considered was Island Prep, but it was brand new at the time, so we went with Moultrie. Both Moultrie Montessori and Island Prep have expanded recently, so they both seem to still be doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or