Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2017, 11:20 AM

43 posts, read 80,290 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to St John's County. We will have two children in middle school next year. We have some concerns over the homes that are zoned for the K-8 schools as opposed to the traditional grade 6-8 middle schools. If anyone has middle school age children in a K-8 school, can you please let me know how it compares to a traditional middle school?

For example:
Do the kids change classes every period
Are there multiple levels of the core classes like english, math, science, (below grade, grade level, honors, etc.)
Are there as many extracurricular clubs and activities
Are there as many programs in the arts such as bands, choirs, drama, etc.
Are there as many sports teams

Do the 6-8 grades in the K-8 schools start at the elementary school time? If so, how does it work for them to play after school sports against 6-8 grade schools that get out much ealier in the afternoon?

If anyone has any other information to share, I would really apprecate it. Thank you so much.

Sheri

Last edited by Buffettjd; 03-23-2017 at 11:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:48 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
We have a 2 year old so we're not quite there yet and can't answer your questions but for what it's worth, I wished that Ponte Vedra Beach had a K-8 school rather than a middle school (Landrum). I read the following article last year that talked about how traditional middle schools may be hurting kids and it made sense to me:

Traditional Middle Schools Could Actually Be Hurting Your Kids - Benefits of K

Old 03-23-2017, 12:36 PM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I know the stop and start times differ for the grades at the K-8 schools but unsure how much. And at least at our school their classrooms are generally grouped together so you're not going to have a bunch of 1st grade kids next to 8th graders. The upper classes do have sports teams and a number of clubs and activities.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:57 PM

143 posts, read 314,703 times
Here are some links to the school district website. I would call them to answer any questions you may have pertaining to the differences between the K-8 and the Middle School. There are many.
Landrum Middle School Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Valley Ridge Academy Valley Ridge Academy
SJC School District Directory of Schools | St. Johns County School District

Old 03-25-2017, 01:13 PM

43 posts, read 80,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav286 View Post
Here are some links to the school district website. I would call them to answer any questions you may have pertaining to the differences between the K-8 and the Middle School. There are many.
Landrum Middle School Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Valley Ridge Academy Valley Ridge Academy
SJC School District Directory of Schools | St. Johns County School District
I figured if I contact the K-8 school directly, their response will be to say that, of course they have everything the traditional middle schools have and they are just as good! LOL. I was hoping I could get an unbiased opinion from parents. Thanks though!

Old 03-28-2017, 05:07 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
My two kids will be attending a K-8 school in St John's County this summer. ( we are moving down there in June), so I can't offer my opinion on K-8 schools but I'm sure others can help. That being said I would tell you to decide if you're going to pull the trigger and move id do it sooner rather then later due to the home prices going up.

I'd certainly let you know how I feel come August. I myself never attended a K-8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville