Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 06:28 AM

112 posts, read 524,115 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Stonehurst in 2 weeks, I was wondering what there is in the area as far as restaurants, shopping, movie theaters, things for kids to do... also, is there a difference between Publix and Winn Dixie or is it just a personal preference? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 07:05 AM

22 posts, read 124,136 times
I'm not really familiar with that side of town but you have the Orange Park Mall just a few miles down.

As far as the Publix vs. Winn-Dixie debate is concerned, Publix looks cleaner and their deli section has more options, for example, I don't think you can get subs made at Winn-Dixie. As far as regular groceries is concerned, Winn-Dixie might be cheaper but the difference isn't major. Honestly, I just shop at the grocery store that's closest.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 AM

10 posts, read 32,297 times
Default stonehurst

I live on 210 also. I am in the South Hampton golf course just down the street. I wish there was more to do around this area, but there just is not yet. Some restaurants have even opened and closed again that quick in two years. My favorite on 210 is Gaya, that is the japanese grill type that cooks on the table in front of you, they also have a sit down and eat area.
As for shopping you have to go to St. Johns Town Center off of 9A. Depending on how old your kids are will depend on what there is to do for them. With the grocery store....I just prefer Publix. It might be a tiny bit more expensive, I just like the employees much better and it is organized better.
hope it helps..

Old 03-09-2008, 09:09 PM

20 posts, read 49,025 times
Smile 210 Things to do...

I live in St. Johns Golf off 210 and wanted to add a few things. We have added a lot of shops/services in the last few years but still don't have a movie theater or major shopping nearby. Most of the restaurants are smaller and not chains but that might be a good thing. Cherry's by Winn Dixie is great with kids or groups. Ginger Bistro down past Stonehurst ranges from good to excellent. The clubhouse at St. Johns has very good food and I don't think you have to live here to use the restaurant. Chicago Pizza has live music and good pizza. There are post office services at the UPS store and in the BP gas station. Hurricanes Grill has good wings and a nice outside area. Jenks has good chicken parmigiana.

Avenues Mall (95 & Phillips) is closer than Town Center but doesn't have the elite stores or atmosphere. But it works for most things. And there is a theater just past it on Phillips North.

Winn Dixie does have a deli and can make subs but there are also probably 6 sub restaurants nearby. I like Winn Dixie because they are based here and I don't want to see Publix become a monopoly but there are definitely some things they have that W-D doesn't.

You didn't mention dogs but there are dog parks at Veterans Park and at Davis park. Playgrounds everywhere and sports teams for most ages. I think the area is lacking in options for teenagers once they get past 12 though. Except for the skate park at Veterans.

This is kind of funny - we've been here 4 years almost and I usually think I don't like it that much but it sounds like I'm quite fond of it, doesn't it? Still hate the heat in August though.

Gail

Old 03-09-2008, 11:31 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salantai View Post

I like Winn Dixie because they are based here and I don't want to see Publix become a monopoly but there are definitely some things they have that W-D doesn't.
That's a good point about Winn Dixie*, they are local and it would be nice to support them if they can get their act together.

They are revamping stores. The Lakewood location (University Blvd) was just redone and it looks really nice. This was a clean Winn Dixie to start with, so they didn't have far to go to make it really nice. Let's hope all the Winn Dixies are redone this way. I'd like them to get rid of that stupid card too.

So there might come a day soon when having a Winn Dixie nearby but not a Publix won't be such a huge difference.

*Winn Dixie being Jacksonville-based and Publix being Lakeland-based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville