Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:26 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Speaking or Orange Park and rednecks, the Orange Park Mall always has a lot of Larry The Cable Dude and Duck Dynasty looking guys walking around. It's a really popular look around here!
My point proven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 05:31 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,978,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIt View Post
I lived in Fleming Island for many years and agree, if you're going to live anywhere in Clay county FI is definitely the place to be. Watched Eagle Harbor being built from nothing. Fleming Island is a very good family area with lots of shopping/dining options now. The whole "redneck" thing is vastly overblown imho.

How do you like living on Amelia Island? Always had it on my possible landing spots list.
I'm actually in Amelia View which is a community ... drum roll .... on the Northside. (Another section of Jacksonville that usually solicits "don't househunt there".) Our neighborhood sits on a creek that eventually dumps into the Nassau River, so we have a view of Amelia Island. When househunting, we did look in Fernandina, but it was just too far a commute to Southside.

Wow - to have watched Eagle Harbor rise up must have been something. It was so unique at the time, the kind of masterplan it was, and I believe it got all kinds of awards. Ha - sort of wonder if Nocatee would exist if Eagle Harbor hadn't happened and turned out to be a desirable type of neighborhood community.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 AM

94 posts, read 200,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I'm actually in Amelia View which is a community ... drum roll .... on the Northside. (Another section of Jacksonville that usually solicits "don't househunt there".) Our neighborhood sits on a creek that eventually dumps into the Nassau River, so we have a view of Amelia Island. When househunting, we did look in Fernandina, but it was just too far a commute to Southside.

Wow - to have watched Eagle Harbor rise up must have been something. It was so unique at the time, the kind of masterplan it was, and I believe it got all kinds of awards. Ha - sort of wonder if Nocatee would exist if Eagle Harbor hadn't happened and turned out to be a desirable type of neighborhood community.

When I saw Amelia View I assumed it meant Amelia Island, my bad. There are some very nice quite areas north of the "Northside"..

When I first moved to Fleming Island the traffic light at Hwy 17 & 220 was just a blinker. There was nothing on any of the 4 corners or on 220 all the way to Whitey's. People told me I was crazy because it was too far out and nothing was there. Too funny! My how it's changed now.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:55 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,978,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIt View Post
When I saw Amelia View I assumed it meant Amelia Island, my bad. There are some very nice quite areas north of the "Northside"..

When I first moved to Fleming Island the traffic light at Hwy 17 & 220 was just a blinker. There was nothing on any of the 4 corners or on 220 all the way to Whitey's. People told me I was crazy because it was too far out and nothing was there. Too funny! My how it's changed now.
No apologies! Amelia View isn't a well-known name, and many see it thinking Amelia Island!

Oh my goodness you have seen changes!! Wow!

I haven't been in Amelia View that long, but those who've been here since the beginning, about 15+/- years, have seen changes such as that. Shopping of any kind meant going over the Dames Point Bridge because there was absolutely nothing out here. Today we have all kinds of things including River City Marketplace, and even during the 4 years we've been here, that retail area has grown by leaps and bounds. UF Health has just opened a hospital, so that says something ... similar to Baptist opening that healthcare facility on Fleming Island.

Ha ... miss Whiteys ... we don't have a fish camp like it up this way.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 PM

403 posts, read 935,156 times
Fleming Island is great. I work at NAS Jax and a lot of our attorneys and Officers live over here. The schools are great and recent housing growth has also brought along a lot of restaurants and shopping. We have our own small movie theater. There are a lot of different housing options and a close neighborhood feel. My main gripe is that we are far from certain areas (downtown Jax and the Town Center). Make sure your commute to/from work will be manageable. Also, the aforementioned housing boom has also brought about traffic congestion. I am from the suburbs of Philadelphia so it is something I am used to and do not find it that bad. But someone from a less congested area might find it too much. Overall, I love it here.

I just want to say that a lot of my coworkers live in Middleburg or Green Cove Springs. They are all professionals and not redneck at all. However, there are definitely parts of Middleburg or GCS that fit the more stereotypical view of Florida. Orange Park is definitely a no for me on all levels. Other than driving through it to get to work or Jacksonville, I don't really care for it. Oh, and I will never ever again go to the Orange Park Mall...once was enough for a lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville