Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 PM

265 posts, read 993,946 times

Advertisements

http://www.dinercity.com/njDiner/whiteMannaExtM.jpg (broken link)

Being a Midwesterner and Southerner I grew tired quickly of hearing how everything is better back in NJ since I have been here. When you NE’ers talk about how good the food is there and all the different types of food available I would basically tune out and wish you would shut up. I have to say I owe all of you lucky SOB’s a big heartfelt “sorry.” Suffering from insomnia I was up late last night (for me) and came across a show called Diners, Drive-ins and dives. The Show was about diners in NJ (they will air this episode again on march 10th at 10:30pm). Well let me say I have always enjoyed different types of foods but I haven’t been exposed to anything like this show revealed. There was a White manna Hamburger, in Hackensack, that looked a lot like White castle but way better. Skylark diner in Edison, Jefferson diner in Lake Hopatcong, The Ritz Diner in Livingston, Tick tock diner in Clifton and Mustache Bill’s in Barnegat Light and a couple others. I am not a diner person but I would have been a regular at any one of these. I especially like the Greek establishments. I have to figure if the diners are this good, and man did they look good then the other restaurants have to be outstanding. So on that note I will no longer dislike you Yankees but embrace you and feel sorry for you. It begs the question is better to have had great food and lose it than to never have great food at all.

Last edited by Lawstudent; 03-11-2008 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 12:51 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent;

Being a Midwesterner and Southerner I grew tired quickly of hearing how everything is better back in NJ since I have been here. When you NE’ers talk about how good the food is there and all the different types of food available I would basically tune out and wish you would shut up. I have to say I owe all of you lucky SOB’s a big heartfelt “sorry.” Suffering from insomnia I was up late last night (for me) and came across a show called Diners, Drive-ins and dives. The Show was about diners in NJ (they will air this episode again on march 10th at 10:30pm). Well let me say I have always enjoyed different types of foods but I haven’t been exposed to anything like this show revealed. There was a White manna Hamburger, in Hackensack, that looked a lot like White castle but way better. Skylark diner in Edison, Jefferson diner in Lake Hopatcong, The Ritz Diner in Livingston, Tick tock diner in Clifton and Mustache Bill’s in Barnegat Light and a couple others. I am not a diner person but I would have been a regular at any one of these. I especially like the Greek establishments. I have to figure if the diners are this good, and man did they look good then the other restaurants have to be outstanding. So on that note I will no longer dislike you Yankees but embrace you and feel sorry for you. It begs the question is better to have had great food and lose it than to never have great food at all.
the NJ diners are indeed legendary but other than being a place for late night food fixes, or an alternative to fast food garbage, they do get old quick. Just the other night after an evening of shows and cocktails I was thinking that JAX could use a good 24 hour NJ style diner, then I got home and microwaved a pizza

Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 PM

717 posts, read 773,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post

Awesome Post. Diners my A$$. How about a good northern Italian restaurant in Florida?

Old 03-11-2008, 02:20 PM

142 posts, read 1,030,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawstudent View Post
[IMG]

I have traveled all over the country, stayed in LA & NYC, lived in Miami, New England & currently in Portland, Oregon. Out of everywhere I have lived or traveled, Connecticut and the tri-state area in general comes out on top as far as food quality goes. Connecticut in particular stands out...everthing from pizza (Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana, New Haven, CT) to Indian food (Cosmos International Deli/Grocery, West Hartford, CT) is better. So yeah, when Yankees start talking about thier food being better, they aint lying. However, the weather in New England sucks miserably and always will. I would rather make a sandwich & chill on sunny beach than make my way through a blizzard to get to my favorite dinner.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:08 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Awesome Post. Diners my A$$. How about a good northern Italian restaurant in Florida?
Forgive my ignorance about Northn Italian, but have you tried Sarnelli's Restaurant in OP? It's the bomb. Family owned/operated, Mama Sarnelli presides over some awesome food.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:20 PM

717 posts, read 773,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Forgive my ignorance about Northn Italian, but have you tried Sarnelli's Restaurant in OP? It's the bomb. Family owned/operated, Mama Sarnelli presides over some awesome food.
I will try it. I am actually living in NJ right now and will be moving to south florida later in the year. But we have relatives in JAX and will try it out. We actually went to a very good Italian restuarant in Ponte Vedra Beach when we visited last month. So I was talking somewhat tongue- in -cheek. Thank you though!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:38 PM

541 posts, read 2,285,646 times
Thanks Lawstudent, You know how to get creative with your posts.

You need to take a trip to NJ sometime. 200 bucks to Newark...direct.

The diners in Jersey are all over the place. Each town seems to have at least one. And they are really nice diners. Not like the smoky, dirty, truck-stop type of diner you might think of.....these are classy, clean, shiny, diners that serve families, latenighters, retirees, everybody eats at a diner in Jersey.

There is a diner in Bloomfield, Nj that serves their eggs to you in the skillet.

Also, the Ritz Diner you mentioned is in Livingston....I used to shop near there. They filmed some scenes from the Sopranos in the Ritz.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:11 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,760 times
I have to agree about the diners. I lived in Budd Lake, but had to go into NYC several times a week for classes. I used to stop at a great diner off of 80 I think it was in Piscataway, but cannot remember for sure now. You could see if from 80, it was great. Budd Lake had a good diner too.

Funny story about the Budd Lake diner. I had been up most of the night due to the jerk that lived above me stomping around selling drugs all night long (another story - he got busted) (it really was a nice apt complex). So finally about 4:00 I got up headed to the diner for some peace and quiet. The place was packed with guys! WTF! It turned out it was the first day of hunting season.

Oy vey!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:05 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
I'm from New Jersey, are you from New Jersey? Who did that skit?

Great- reminds me of when I decided while driving to the coast for the day that I would get a room in Apalachicola for the night. So I picked up a sun hat, toothbrush and fresh pair of undies at the store and checked in for the night with no luggage. I got the last room and the place was packed with men.....there for a fishing tourney! When I realized how it must have looked, I decided not to go to the motel bar that night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
I have to agree about the diners. I lived in Budd Lake, but had to go into NYC several times a week for classes. I used to stop at a great diner off of 80 I think it was in Piscataway, but cannot remember for sure now. You could see if from 80, it was great. Budd Lake had a good diner too.

Funny story about the Budd Lake diner. I had been up most of the night due to the jerk that lived above me stomping around selling drugs all night long (another story - he got busted) (it really was a nice apt complex). So finally about 4:00 I got up headed to the diner for some peace and quiet. The place was packed with guys! WTF! It turned out it was the first day of hunting season.

Oy vey!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I'm from New Jersey, are you from New Jersey? Who did that skit?

Great- reminds me of when I decided while driving to the coast for the day that I would get a room in Apalachicola for the night. So I picked up a sun hat, toothbrush and fresh pair of undies at the store and checked in for the night with no luggage. I got the last room and the place was packed with men.....there for a fishing tourney! When I realized how it must have looked, I decided not to go to the motel bar that night!
and here I was thinking what a good time gal you were
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville