Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 03:05 PM

40 posts, read 36,616 times

Advertisements

I can't believe it! Eight schools in Duval County want to interview me for various positions. (I know they just terminated 150 teachers.) I have one phone interview on Monday. I've spoken to seven administrators (one emailed me) and they all want to know when I could come down for an interview. They all know I live in New York, and plan to sell my house. (Instead of rent. The idea of being a long distance landlady makes me nervous.)

Is it worth flying down for the interview when they know I can't accept a position right away? My agent is optimistic that my house will sell fast, but who knows? I looked at airfares and I could fly JetBlue to and from Orlando for less than $200 the first week of September, if my friends will let me stay with them. (They're having company the week before, so I don't know.) I know I could stay in a hotel, but between airfare and renting a car, I could save $$ by staying with them.

Advice? Tips? Past experiences? This is completely new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 04:05 PM

30 posts, read 28,414 times
It sounds like you have a good chance of getting a position - it definitely sounds promising. Would you fly down just for one interview? Is it possible that you can interview with all seven administrators in person that week? If so, I'd probably say that's worth it to fly down if you can stay with friends and save wherever you can.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:56 PM

375 posts, read 444,417 times
Possibly contact the others and let them know you will be in town on a certain day or days and would be available.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:08 PM

My plan is tomorrow to call the principals I spoke to on Friday and tell them I can be there the first week of September for interviews. My friends said I can stay with them. (That's the earliest I can make it there).

Today I received an email saying that Duval County is holding open interviews tomorrow and Tuesday to fill the remaining positions. That definitely took the wind out of my sails, but I will see what the principals say.

In the meantime I have a phone interview tomorrow.

@WanderlustGirl2016 - yes, I would fly down for one interview. It would just be a shorter trip.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:08 PM

30 posts, read 28,414 times
Even with the open interviews there seem to be tons of positions open if you look at the vacancies and take into account the terminated teachers as well.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:04 AM

403 posts, read 935,576 times
That is great news, Capricorngrl! If you fly down and meet with the principal/vice principal, even if you can't accept a position immediately, they will be able to connect your name with your face for future positions. Try to meet with as many as you can when you arrive. Check out glassdoor for interview tips/possible questions. Good luck and congrats!

Old 08-07-2017, 11:06 AM

45 posts, read 42,177 times
I can't speak much about the teaching opportunities but about your house - have you thought about renting it out and hiring a property manager? I relocated from jax to atlanta last year and chose a property manager who was also a real estate agent. I'm in the process of selling my property now but it's a good option to have, in case you decide to move back. I didn't want to be a long distant landlord either and it was nice to have someone take care of everything for me

Old 08-07-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltaxgirl View Post
I can't speak much about the teaching opportunities but about your house - have you thought about renting it out and hiring a property manager? I relocated from jax to atlanta last year and chose a property manager who was also a real estate agent. I'm in the process of selling my property now but it's a good option to have, in case you decide to move back. I didn't want to be a long distant landlord either and it was nice to have someone take care of everything for me
I did consider that but its placing trust into people I dont know. Plus then it eats away at my profits because I could make $$ on top of my mortgage if I rent. I spoke to 2 agents about it who do both sales and rentals, and they both advised against me renting it out. They said that tenants won't take care of my house the way I do, and that the rental laws in NY aren't good. If the tenant decides to stop paying me rent it could take months for me to get them out.

I stand to make a large profit on the sale of my home. If I decide to move back I can use the profit as a downpayment to buy something in NY again.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:32 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,792 times
Be careful as to what schools in Duval called you. Some of them are in very bad neighborhoods, and some of them have very bad ratings.. do your research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: