Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 11:45 PM

3 posts, read 9,921 times

Advertisements

Will be moving to Jacksonville around May or June.

I'm young and married, no kids. My wife will be in Riverside and I'm still looking for a job, so it's unknown.

We want to get a lot of house for the money... and want to keep her commute from getting too long. Looking online there are lot's of options.

I'd like to be in a Tennis/Pool kind of neighborhood and within a short drive (couple miles) from restaurants, grocery stores, movie theatres, and possibly a gym...

We might only live in Jax for a few years so resale value is also important. I guess factors include (is the area growing, are schools good...)

Any advice or suggestions on areas we should focus in on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 12:32 AM

472 posts, read 1,544,038 times
I'm no real estate professional by any means, but I would assume near the airport and the JTB/9A area have the most potential? Those areas are growing pretty fast. With the port coming, an area near the airport should be a prettry prosperous area I would imagine. Get in while it's low, you know?

Old 03-16-2008, 02:13 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
We need to know a little bit more about how much you want to spend. Also, you said you want a lot of house for the money, what are your specific needs with regards to bedrooms, baths, sq footage, etc.

There are a lot of newer developments on the westside that would be an easy commute for your wife, many off of Blanding, some off of Roosevelt.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 9,921 times
want to spend 250ish. Only two of us... but looking at 3 or 4 bedroom. Would be nice to be near a forest preserve or natural body of water...

We are considering westside and north towards the airport... it's good to know north is growing. What about mandarin would her commute be horrible?

Old 03-16-2008, 11:53 AM

In Mandarin she would be against traffic, just some traffic getting to I295.
Definitely a lot out there in your price range in all areas mentioned. It's really going to come down to where you think you will want to be, and probably where you expect to be finding employment.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
In Mandarin she would be against traffic, just some traffic getting to I295.
Definitely a lot out there in your price range in all areas mentioned. It's really going to come down to where you think you will want to be, and probably where you expect to be finding employment.
That's really true. $250k will get you into the Northside, Westside or Southside of the city, and so many neighborhoods inside of all of those regions.

If the OP is looking to live in the house short-term, I'd say to find the most highly desireable area you can - even if that means giving up some square footage. You might be able to buy a 3500 sq ft house somewhere out in the boonies for $250k, but when you go to sell, you might be sitting on it forever....you'd be better off with a 2000 sq ft house in a popular location.

Last edited by riveree; 03-16-2008 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-17-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
If the OP is looking to live in the house short-term, I'd say to find the most highly desireable area you can - even if that means giving up some square footage. You might be able to buy a 3500 sq ft house somewhere out in the boonies for $250k, but when you go to sell, you might be sitting on it forever....you'd be better off with a 2000 sq ft house in a popular location.
Very excellent advice, Riveree. Add to that try not to move into a newer large subdivision that has gobs of homes for sale also. It just makes it so much harder to get a home sold, when there are literally dozens of homes for sale just like yours in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: