Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:36 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel__123 View Post
Im wondering how are the prices there compared to Publix. Are they higher?
The Fresh Market's prices are consistently higher. As a specialty gourmet grocer, The Fresh Market specializes in quality products and its service departments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
It's not a totally fair comparison, though, since Fresh Market is a smaller chain (with smaller stores) focused generally on expensive specialty items, while Publix is a mainstream supermarket. Publix would likely never carry (for instance) $30 bottles of olive oil like Fresh Market might, since Publix focuses more on $5 olive oil that will sell ten times as many bottles. People go to a specialty store like Fresh Market to find that $30 olive oil (or similarly high-end items) simply because they know it's unlikely to find that higher-quality olive oil anywhere else.

The lines were getting blurred, though, because Fresh Market decided about a year ago that they wanted to bring in more "traditional" supermarket items in an effort to become more of a mainstream grocery store. They even remodeled a bunch of stores (including the stores in Jacksonville) to fit in more stuff like paper towels and baby food. Jacksonville's Fresh Markets were some of the last stores in the remodeling, though, as they likely realized people were not going to think of Fresh Market when they need to buy (fresh?) dog food and diapers. Now the CEO is talking about how the stores are going to be high-end specialty stores again.
The Fresh Market lost its focus for years by overextending into distant markets, bringing in additional grocery items, and straying away from its position as a specialty gourmet grocer. After market exits, stores closed, and executive leadership changes, The Fresh Market should be in position to get where it needs to be.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:28 AM

37 posts, read 44,326 times
Mrs and I first began shopping at TFM in Pinellas County circa 1999. We loved their meats - even if the prices were substantially higher than at Publix. They have awesome desserts, also. After relocating to Alachua County in 2003, we were left without a Fresh Market until one opened in Gainesville several years later (2005 or '06). Even for just a few items, it was easy to spend a hundred bucks at TFM and we consistently did that until we decided that it wasn't worth driving 25 miles for mediocre service (much poorer than we received at TFM in Clearwater).

Publix opened near us (ten miles away) two years ago and we've probably been to TFM three times since then. Ribeyes at Publix are hard to beat, especially when on sale for $8.99 a pound. Publix offers consistently excellent service and it HAS been a Publix hallmark since day one. There is a Winn-Dixie about the same distance away (~10 miles) but I don't set foot in it unless I happen to be nearby and only need an item or two.

IMO, in terms of service, Fresh Market has gone downhill dramatically. Now, if you enjoy spending $4-$5 a pound for apples, TFM is your place.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:30 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
The Fresh Market is a rip off in my opinion. If you want all natural or organic, go with Trader Joes and Whole Foods

Old 10-09-2017, 08:15 PM

661 posts, read 866,748 times
the bonus for fresh market is there repeated special (every Tuesday sometimes more) of chicken breast for 2.99 LB and fresh ground chuck for 2.99 lb. The quality of the chicken at 2.99 LB is way better than when Publix does BOGO chicken at 5.49 LB. Publix is cheaper but it's worth hitting the fresh market to stock up on some of the sale items OR splurging for a cookout and want choice steaks, specialty items etc...

Old 10-12-2017, 12:19 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,743,239 times
The $2.99 chuck and chicken specials turned my local Fresh Market into a circus on Tuesdays. I understand the motive behind it (get people in the door to buy those items plus a few more items to absorb the loss) but it was a much nicer shopping experience when they had those items for 3.99 every day back in the summer. Pay a little more, yes, but still a good price---and you didn't have to experience the Calgary Stampede every Tuesday.

Fresh Market is also the only store in my area that has a large selection of flowers. Publix just puts a few buckets of flowers in a corner of produce, but FM has a separate department of them, with a better selection than anything else in a small town.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:41 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The Fresh Market is a rip off in my opinion. If you want all natural or organic, go with Trader Joes and Whole Foods

They actually just opened a Trader Joe's this past week in Jacksonville, in the Mandarin area on San Jose Blvd. it's in the same plaza with the Barnes and Noble and a Party City.
I went there opening day and it was a really nice store and prices were bearable

Old 10-17-2017, 10:26 AM

370 posts, read 325,437 times
Earth Fare & Lucky Market seem to be the most price-competitive specialty markets here. Earth Fare always has some sort of ground beef (beef, chuck, sirloin) for 3.99/lb. No Anti-biotics, no GMO's, etc. That's a good price! They will also have deals on ribeyes, NY strips and Filets as well. Lucky has decent pricing as well in meats & fruits/veggies, but don't make the "No antibiotics, no GMO, no additives" claim that Earth Fare makes.

Trade Joe's is good for a few odds & ends, as well as some quirky items, but by no means would I call it bearable, price wise.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:37 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
I hear "service" thrown around a lot when it comes to Publix (and it was said here about Fresh Market). What "service", exactly, do you consistently need at a grocery store? I go in, push around a cart, find the items I want and then pay for them and leave. Every so often if I'm looking for something out of the ordinary and can't find it I'll ask an employee where to find it and even rarer I will order a specialty item at the deli or bakery, but beyond those rare instances I don't understand why everyone touts "service" at a grocery store. One of the reasons I like Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and Winn Dixie is the ability to go to their self-checkouts and not have to have these forced, superficial interactions with the checkout person.

I like lower prices and selection, period. I'll take service when I'm at a fine dining restaurant or buying a big ticket items like a car or a TV.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:03 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,743,239 times
I'm similar. I don't go to any supermarket (whether a cheap place or expensive) and expect to be waited on hand and foot. I'm guessing there are others who don't feel that way, and want to have their behinds kissed . Nah, seriously, I can see how someone might need an employee to help carry out their groceries, or perhaps someone wanting a butcher to give them advice on how to correctly cook an expensive cut of meat. I'm just not one of those people. It's the trade-off one has to make when pursuing lower prices, which will always be the most important reason for me to choose a store. That's why it always makes me roll my eyes when people go to a place like Fresh Market and complain that the prices are too high, then go to Winn-Dixie or Aldi and complain that they don't have the sort of smothering customer service that Fresh Market offers.

The sad fact of the matter is that pleasant and genuine offers of assistance are so rare in retail these days that any kind of favor from an employee is seen as a source of amazement and delight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville