Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2017, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 4,334 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family will be moving to Jacksonville in the next 1-3 months as I am getting a new job. I have seen folks here who have been incredibly helpful about rental questions. We will need a safe single-family home near 32216 or 32246, hopefully a 3/2. We also have a dog. I do not know if I can get out there ahead of time to view a property so I need recommendations for landlords that offer quality properties because we may have to do this sight unseen. My current landlord is amazing about being available for problems with the property and respecting our privacy otherwise. We are good, stable tenants who value a win/win rental relationship. If you know a great landlord or a realtor who can help us find a good place, so we can get settled and see the market better before we try to purchase, I would appreciate the help.

Also, where we live now the county offers School Choice so students can attend anywhere in the county if parents can transport them. Does Jacksonville offer the same thing?

Last edited by Yogamama33; 11-14-2017 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 07:04 AM

115 posts, read 82,537 times
My family and I have been renting our single family home for just over 3 years in the same general area. I would also open up your search to the 32225/32224 area codes as well which is greater Arlington. We found the house on Zillow and rent from a private owner which is definitely a plus as we pay a very reasonable amount for what we have. Having said that, the single family rentals in the area where you are looking do go quickly. We were lucky enough to be first in line for our house but we litterally had to go see it and sign the lease with intent to move in that same day or risk loosing it. Ive checked recently and there is good choice available in those zip codes right now so if I were you I would start reaching out to the owners now. Most of them rentals on Zillow are private owner/landlords. However, if it is owned by a company it will most likely be WRH realty, Invitation homes, or watson realty. Those are the major realtors in Jax that also deal with rentals. Typically you can also reach out to them directly and find a realtor that can talk to you about rental properties. However, many of the ones Ive delt with didnt really go out of their way to help us much because I was told they dont make much money with rental.

As far as schools go, I dont believe there is school choice with reference to the public school system so I that may impact your decision. If you are using the public school system i would recommend looking into neighborhoods east of St Johns bluff blvd which will keep them away from the larger overpopulated schools with known issues. Hope this helps!

Old 11-17-2017, 04:24 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
What is your price range? Any chance to do a short term rental so you can at least take a few weeks/months to look at properties?

If your price range is high enough there should be many nice options for you in that area. Would you consider a townhouse (attached single family)? That would also increase your options as there are quite a few of those in 32246.

Yes it is true realtors get very very little rental commission. It's usually something they will do to try to establish a relationship for future sales. You might also search through the large property management firms' websites to see what they have available in that area. Usually the post listings on zillow and similar sites so it's possible to find them yourself too.

Duval County has many "magnet schools" so depending on their requirements/qualifications it's a similar kind of thing where you can attend the magnet program rather than your own neighborhood school.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:46 PM

Thank you both for the wonderful advice! We have an actual date to be there now so it will be easier to move forward. Short term rental isn't ideal but if it comes down to it that's what will happen. I would love to find a realtor who could show me a few options on a Friday or a Monday if I come for a scouting visit. Barring that we will need an air BNB or some other temporary housing.

I'm looking to Max out at $1500 for a 3/1.5+ that allows dogs. $1300/month is much better. Once we know the market better we will be in a position to buy.

If anyone reading has suggestions for great independent living facilities for seniors, I'm in the market for one of those as well.

I apologize for taking so long to answer. I thought I had subscribed but I hadn't. I have corrected the issue.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:36 PM

I am hoping for feedback/opinions on the following zip codes. In terms of safety, commute to Southside (32216) and general vibe (cookie cutter HOA style vs hip and funky vs old with character etc).

32225, 32246, 32256, 32258, 32259, 32216, 32221

My future boss suggested that I avoid Arlington but did not explain why. I have lived in urban settings near sketchy areas before, where my actual neighborhood was safe but it was only a few blocks from less safe areas. Is that what Arlington is like?

I appreciate any help that you are willing to offer. We are getting excited! Jacksonville seems like where we are now, Pensacola is a city but doesn't have a full-on city vibe. Jax seems similar even though it's bigger. But it also seems like there's something for everyone!

Old 11-25-2017, 09:37 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I did a quick search on MLS for 3b/2b rentals (my wife is a realtor but she's not active, just keeps her license so that I have MLS access since I'm a full-time investor) Anyway it seems you have quite a few options in your price range...more between $1300 and $1500 but still decent options at the $1300 mark. However they are mostly condos and townhomes as I suspected. The good news is many of the ones I looked at accept pets, and many of them (condos/townhomes) offer really nice updates and amenities.

Generally speaking, all of the zip codes you provided are mostly cookie cutter, HOA, recently developed areas.

What most people refer to as Arlington is a very large area and much of it is depressed, lower income, and slightly unsafe. It is a large area so certain pockets are nice but it is mostly a rundown suburb whose heyday was 30-40 years ago.

Hard to tell from your last comment but if you are seeking more of a city vibe then you probably want to be in the urban core. Jax lacks much of that city vibe aspect as well but should be a bit ahead of Pensacola. Also the SJTC area (32246) is booming and probably offers something on a scale you wouldnt find in Pensacola. But it's not a city vibe...it's more like your typical outdoor lifestyle center that is on steroids and goes on and on and on.

If you want to PM me your email address I would be happy to send you search results for rental listings. You can also just try reaching out to some brokerages...I know if you call my wife's office (Berkshire Hathaway - Avondale) whoever is assigned to answer calls will either take care of you or pass you to an agent who will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: